Chuck Palahniuk at the Dallas Museum of Art 10/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Palahniuk at the Dallas Museum of Art 10/25

Anyone interested and going? When I saw him in Austin he was tossing out autographed blow up dolls to the audience. "Damned" is coming out next month and sounds interesting.

Arts & Letters Live: Special Event. Horchow Auditorium, 7:30 p.m. Chuck Palahniuk is a prolific writer who releases one novel per year. His works include 'Fight Club','Choke', 'Haunted', and 'Lullaby'. His upcoming novel, 'Damned' (October 2011), is a subversive homage to the young adult genre. General Seating.
    Back Add to basket
    Known for his extreme subject matter and minimalist writing style, Chuck Palahniuk’s fiction is not for the squeamish—listeners have been known to faint at his readings. Palahniuk’s novels address the darker side of human nature, questioning societal ideals like the American dream. Fight Club, his popular debut, centers on one man’s goal to destroy the system of capitalism and consumption, beginning with the creation of a testosterone-fueled underground boxing club. Fight Club won the Oregon Book Award in 1997 and was made into a successful film starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

His new novel begins as Madison, the eleven-year-old narrator, awakes to find herself dead and in Hell. Amongst Satan and the frightening demons, she meets an unlikely Breakfast Club of other young sinners—a cheerleader, a jock, a nerd, and a delinquent. Learning to navigate Hell while opening herself up to her new friends, Madison tries to understand her dysfunctional life and uncover the reasons behind her death and eternal damnation.

“I acknowledge some unacknowledged parts of our lives, which, as a culture, we don't tend to talk about.” –Chuck Palahniuk

Ticket Prices

Full $25 / Reduced $20 / Student $10

Sounds awesome. I'll check my schedule.

Comment

Faint at his readings? What kinda pussy faints at someone reading a book?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
        Faint at his readings? What kinda pussy faints at someone reading a book?
        The book is best known for the short story "Guts", which had been published previous to the book in the March 2004 issue of Playboy magazine as well as on Palahniuk's website (Palahniuk offered to let them publish another story along with it, but the publishers found the second work too disturbing). It is a tale of violent accidents involving masturbation where the reader is told "to hold his breath" in the very first line.

While on his 2003 tour to promote his novel Diary, Palahniuk read "Guts" to his audiences. It was reported that over 35 people fainted while listening to the readings. On his tour to promote Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories in the summer of 2004, he read the story to audiences again, bringing the total amount of fainters up to 53, and later up to 60, while on tour to promote the softcover edition of Diary. The last fainting occurred on May 28, 2007, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, where five people fainted, one of which occurred when a man was trying to leave the auditorium, which resulting in him falling and hitting his head on the door. Palahniuk is apparently not bothered by these incidents, which have not stopped fans from reading "Guts" or his other works.

A New York City public school 11th grade teacher was suspended for letting his English class read "Guts".[1]

Comment

If it wasn't a school night, I'd be down. That sounds really interesting.
          Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
          Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
          Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
          You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

I would assume you have a favorite artist?

This is mine... http://ewhite.com/

I have a few of his paintings at home and this one in my office

The richest man in Babylon

Comment

"hold your breath"
              "ok"
              Blah blah blah
              "*thunk*"

Fucking sheeple, i swear. If they had kool-aid at the refreshment table i bet it was gone within seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                "hold your breath"
                "ok"
                Blah blah blah
                "*thunk*"

Fucking sheeple, i swear. If they had kool-aid at the refreshment table i bet it was gone within seconds

Have you read it?

Comment

Nope. It doesnt matter though, its a book. Whatever may be written on the pages, fainting or being completely overwhelmed at the written word is moronic. Its like people weeping and getting emotional over the bible - i get being moved or even unnerved but when someone promotes the work with these type of extreme reactions all i can say is "Get a grip, its a fucking book".

Edit: by him calling his official website "The Cult" it just proves my point.

Edit#2: i read it here - http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts and im unimpressed. its just a story about him getting his bowels sucked out by the pool pump. Oooo...how groundbreaking! I guess i've been on the internet too long as that was pretty damn tame compared to other shit out there.
                  Last edited by Binky; 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Don't blow a gasket over it. Jesus.

Comment

Now we know the secret.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        Don't blow a gasket over it. Jesus.
                        lmao.

Comment

Also, he didn't launch the website, someone else did, and got his permission. He isn't even officially affiliated with it, though he drops in from time to time. It's sort of an unofficial official website. Just fyi. Hope you aren't still pacing around your apartment about it, Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Also, he didn't launch the website, someone else did, and got his permission. He isn't even officially affiliated with it, though he drops in from time to time. It's sort of an unofficial official website. Just fyi. Hope you aren't still pacing around your apartment about it, Chris!
                            That's all well and good, but the faintings make me think of the evangelists that put their hand on the subject in the name of god, and all the sudden they convulse and now know jesus, and are healed.

There is nothing so profound in his works that warrant fainting.

Stupid people doing stupid things. It's an effing book, written by a man of our peers. I'm betting that these are the same women that get wet reading a "romantic novel" with Fabio on the cover.

Comment

Opinions are like assholes. Hopefully yours will never need to have teeth in it like that kids did...

Comment

Working...
                              X