Faster than the speed of light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster than the speed of light.

Scientists said on Thursday they recorded particles travelling faster than light - a finding that could overturn one of Einstein's fundamental laws of the universe.

Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the international group of researchers, said that measurements taken over three years showed neutrinos pumped from CERN near Geneva to Gran Sasso in Italy had arrived 60 nanoseconds quicker than light would have done.

Tech news and expert opinion from The Telegraph's technology team. Read articles and watch video on the tech giants and innovative startups.

I want a starship!
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

What is that, warp factor 0.000000000000000000000001?

Comment

It's not impossible for objects to be traveling at the speed of light. It's impossible to accelerate to to the speed of light. Duh
      The richest man in Babylon

Comment

lol neutrinos... that's straight outta star trek!
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          What is that, warp factor 0.000000000000000000000001?
          I am a dork and at one point read a Star Trek book.... also used to smoke lots of weed so who knows.
          I think it would be warp 1.0000000000000000001
          Warp 1= light speed
          2=10x
          3=11x
          4=42x
          5=214x
          6=392x
          7=656x
          8=1024x
          9=1516x
          Originally posted by trblshooter View Post
          It's not impossible for objects to be traveling at the speed of light. It's impossible to accelerate to to the speed of light. Duh
          Now we need to make inertia stabilizers. ..... and deflector dishes.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

If this pans out it will turn the world of physics on it's head. The ramifications are mind boggling.

Comment

Just another example of how scientists really don't know much more than me and you.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                Just another example of how scientists really don't know much more than me and you.
                In the Grand Grand scheme of things... you're dead on right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  In the Grand Grand scheme of things... you're dead on right.
                  They just theorize a hell of a lot more than you and I do.
                  How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Did you see that?
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                      Did you see that?
                      They went PLAID!

Comment

Originally posted by trblshooter View Post
                        WEll prot from kpax disagree's and I qoute "I would say that you misread Einstein, Dr. Powell. May I call you Mark? You see Mark, what Einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. Einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster"

Comment

Werent these particles accelerating?
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            They went PLAID!
                            Damn you beat me to it!
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                              WEll prot from kpax disagree's and I qoute "I would say that you misread Einstein, Dr. Powell. May I call you Mark? You see Mark, what Einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. Einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster"
                              KPAX sounds like they got their shit together. I'm catching the next beam of light going that way.
                              The richest man in Babylon

Comment

Working...
                              X