Neighborhood Crime Letter/Question for LEOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighborhood Crime Letter/Question for LEOs

Here is a letter that has been posted on everyone's door in my sub-division and an adjacent sub-division bordering Flower Mound. And for good reason. What is not mentioned in this letter is daytime home invasion attempts. It is becoming an obvious topic of concern for everyone in the community. Apparently, southeast Flower Mound/southwest Lewisville has become a ghetto.

And I mention because it's now getting too close to home. There was a robbery not too far from me. And my Recycling bin was completely emptied overnight a while back on a non pick up day. Fortunately, I spent good money on a quality shredder for anything with an account # or SS# on it. However, the unnerving part of this story is I didn't hear anything. Neither mine or my neighbors dogs barked. I'm one of many this has happened to. Nobody ever sees anything.

I have locks on my gates. I have motion sensing yard perimeter lights. Motion sensing porch light. I installed some Home Depot re-enforcement dead bolt receiver latches on the 3 doors that enter the home. 6 mounting points instead of two and 4" long screws into the studs. My neighbors keep their driveway lights on all night. I'm one of about half dozen that had their Recycling paper materials taken right out of the bin.

My question is what the hell else can I do to secure my homestead? I've got my Sigma .40 sitting in my night stand at and a small arsenal in close proximity. So, I'm not worried about the home invasion part, but would like to know what I can do to further safeguard the perimeter of the house. Because someone came onto my property and went through the trash and nobody heard or saw anything(with the area being illuminated). And recently we had graffiti painted two of the stop signs entering the sub-division. Some people have stated they are gang signs, I personally don't know if they are or not. I and others reported it to CrimeWatch and Public Works to fix it. A few people in the neighborhood have stopped walking at night. It's ridiculous.

Any input? Advice? Is my concern justified or am I making more out of it than there is? Is it just bored kids or people you really need to be concerned about is what a lot of us are trying to figure out.

- Tim

You can get some cheap CCTV Cameras and put them around the outside of your house and even WATCH FROM YOUR BEDROOM!!!! They are not expensive, just google around and you can see for under 500 bucks you can deck a 360 of your house and watch from your bedroom and even record while you are gone. Some real fancy ones you can watch from your Iphone or other Smart Phone

Sincerly
    911 Dispatcher
    SCREW CANADA!!!

Comment

That is some scary shit. You need more action from the neighbors. What I would do......and have done

Get a dog, preferably a German Shepherd. Walk it three times a night with other protection if nessecary. Get to know the neighbors, especially the ones who seem to hang outside or stay up late. Just the presence of one homeowner patrolling the streets will make a difference.

I was determined to keep my neighborhood safe even if I lost sleep because I was out at 3am making my rounds. I didn't just walk around either. I would post up and just watch and listen. Sometimes I wanted to be noticed. Other times I would blend in to the scenery. I also made it a point to know EVERY car in the neighborhood and where it parked. It sounds crazy when I think of it, but I really enjoyed making a difference, and my dog lived for it. I knew I was influential when the local pd knew me by name, crime was very seldom, and more women were walking at night alone. I didn't do it alone though, it's a large effort on the police, neighbors, and individuals.

Other that that you can lock up everything, put up some cameras, and hope you catch the bastards on film. Cops don't want to file reports and see pictures or descriptions afterwards. They want to catch the bastards doing it.

Good luck man. It looks like y'all need some community action!

Comment

Tim,

Our department does Security Survey's for our residents. An officer will come out and will talk/walk through your house to give you ideas or suggestions on how to make your home safer. Also, some insurance agencies will give a small discount if you have this security survey completed by a certified officer. I'm not sure if LPD does this or not. The things they will suggest are things that you probably already know.
        • We suggest double cylinder locks if your front/back doors have small windows built in or next to the lock. This would prevent someone from breaking the glass and reaching in to unlock the door. Of course if you do install these locks, you would have to take the key out of it but keep it handy in case of an emergency where you would need to get out of the house (ie, fire).

• Outside motion detector lights to help light the perimeter of the house.

• Leaving a light on inside to make it appear someone is home or awake during the night.

• Alarm system, even if it is not monitored. At the least, I would have a Brinks, ADT, etc. sign posted out front to make it appear you do have an active alarm.

• Extra/alternate window locks to help prevent someone from prying the windows on the residence.

• Keep the shrubs/bushes trimmed around the front door so no one can hide while you are walking into your home.

• Keep valuables out of sight in your vehicles while they are parked outside. Most of the crimes in our city are crimes of opportunity. The vehicles have radar detectors, GPS, etc. in the window and the vehicles are left unlocked.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Comment

Also, if there are any street lights that are out or malfunctioning, you can report it to co-serve here: http://www.coserv.com/Electric/Custo...9/Default.aspx

Comment

FastFord19 pretty much summed up just about everything possible. You already sound like you're taking proactive measures, which is more than most people (reactionary at best). Usually when the MO involves break-ins during the day, they will look for property that would be a quick in/out job with as little visability as possible. If they notice any "speedbumps" in carrying out the task on a house that has had some attention to security, it MIGHT be enough deterant to move on to the next "easy money" sucker that has nothing going in their favor as far as securing their home.

Comment

Fucking thieves, thank god it doesn't/happen in my area.....yet. My shit is always locked up tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                FastFord19 pretty much summed up just about everything possible. You already sound like you're taking proactive measures, which is more than most people (reactionary at best). Usually when the MO involves break-ins during the day, they will look for property that would be a quick in/out job with as little visability as possible. If they notice any "speedbumps" in carrying out the task on a house that has had some attention to security, it MIGHT be enough deterant to move on to the next "easy money" sucker that has nothing going in their favor as far as securing their home.

You have obviously never watched those dateline(or whatever shows they had them on) specials where they've had ex-burglars break into houses in broad daylight in busy neighborhoods, including those with dogs, security cameras, etc, just to make a point to people that thought they were untouchable or couldn't be broken into, and they accomplished it easily, usually within 10 seconds of approaching the house. It doesn't matter what you do, if a thief thinks there is something in your house they want they're going to try to break in and get it.

Comment

You could always put bushes under window (prickly ones preferred) to deny easy access to them.

One thing that stood out to me is the recycle bin thing. Is it near your house or at the curb when this happens?

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    You could always put bushes under window (prickly ones preferred) to deny easy access to them.

One thing that stood out to me is the recycle bin thing. Is it near your house or at the curb when this happens?
                    Don't be coy, what gives.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                      You have obviously never watched those dateline(or whatever shows they had them on) specials where they've had ex-burglars break into houses in broad daylight in busy neighborhoods, including those with dogs, security cameras, etc, just to make a point to people that thought they were untouchable or couldn't be broken into, and they accomplished it easily, usually within 10 seconds of approaching the house. It doesn't matter what you do, if a thief thinks there is something in your house they want they're going to try to break in and get it.
                      Right. I never watched it because I was too busy responding to them. Shit like what you see on Dateline is NOT the norm. Granted, it happens, but like I originally said, "Usually when the MO involves break-ins during the day..."

I've worked several burglary calls. I can only report from my real world experience, not some prime time TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                        Don't be coy, what gives.
                        Criminals can tell what you have in your house by what you throw away. Have a box for a new 60" flat screen out front?

Also, it depends on what he's been recycling. base metals have gone up recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          Right. I never watched it because I was too busy responding to them. Shit like what you see on Dateline is NOT the norm. Granted, it happens, but like I originally said, "Usually when the MO involves break-ins during the day..."

I've worked several burglary calls. I can only report from my real world experience, not some prime time TV show.
                          I see, you're right, I'm wrong. Carry on.

Comment

Suggestion...

Take a few days off work.
                            Park the car in the garage.
                            Go to Best Buy and ask for an open box from a 55'' TV and place this in your front yard.
                            Throw a few old news papers in yard to make it look like you're not home.
                            Load/Sit & Wait/Aim/Pull.
                            Have local news paper reporters take plenty of pix for tomorrows edition.

Problem solved.

Good luck man.

David

Comment

taking steps to keep the honest people honest is the best you can do. i live in carrollton almost to lewisville off hebron. my boys car got the window busted out and a GPS stolen sunday at hooters. i personally feel the monthly "motels" or whatever they are behind it plays a role in that. crime goes up around the holidays. be preparanoid.

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X