Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1:3200 chance of being hit by a crashing satellite... feelin' lucky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:3200 chance of being hit by a crashing satellite... feelin' lucky?

6 tons of space debris "deorbiting." The largest uncontrolled satellite crash since SkyLab in 1979

Object Description:

Type: UARS Satellite
    Int'l Designation: 1991 063B
    Launched: 12 SEP 1991 @ 23:11 UTC
    Site: Deployed from Shuttle Discovery on 15 September 1991
    Mission: Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite

Reentry Prediction:

Predicted Reentry Time: 23 SEP 2011 @ 20:36 UTC ± 20 hours

UARS satellite: Obama, Boehner likely safe

By Joel Achenbach

This just in: Washington will be spared when the NASA satellite UARS crashes to Earth. So will Manhattan. Indeed, the entire East Coast of the U.S. looks safe as I examine the projected crash map.

This isn’t class warfare, it’s just physics.

Although we don’t know where the dadgum thing is going to crash, and it could still hit any continent except Antarctica, there are very well-defined orbital tracks that show where it will be going in the final few days before the expected Friday-ish re-entry, spectacular fireballing and debris-spewing.

One trajectory, for example, shows it passing over Texas and close to Chicago. Europe is very much in the line of fire, with multiple trajectories that pass over that land mass.

The orbit is at an inclination of 57 degrees to the Equator, which means that UARS passes over points ranging from 57 degrees north latitude to 57 degrees south latitude. But it won’t literally pass over every spot on the planet between those latitudes. It traces a path that can now be constrained a great deal, and if you look at this map from the Aerospace Corporation you’ll see that it’s not going to hit the U.S. Capitol and disrupt the highly productive political process that is going to solve the fiscal conundrum and put Americans back to work.

The Aerospace Corporation map uses Air Force tracking data and feeds it through a software program to come up with an estimate. This afternoon the best estimate showed the tumbling satellite entering the atmosphere just west of South America at 4:36 p.m. EDT, and likely spraying debris across the Andes and perhaps the Amazon basin. But yesterday the map showed it crashing in the South Atlantic near South Africa, and my sources say that the next update (which may occur as I’m typing) will show a different location yet again.

This map shows the track of the satellite before the projected re-entry point (blue lines) and after the projected entry point (yellow lines). You’ll notice that the margin of error literally goes around the world several times.

In fact, just a 30-minute difference in the re-entry translates into the satellite hitting Europe instead of the western coast of South America.

The actual margin of error is even greater than depicted here – about plus-or-minus-20 hours as of Tuesday afternoon, while the map shows only plus-or-minus-6 hours. But I’m told by the AC people that they don’t have any track that takes it directly over the East Coast.

Remember: There’s a 1-in-3200 chance that it will strike a human being somewhere on the planet, according to NASA. That’s not the odds that it will strike YOU. Just some human. And there are 7 billion humans. See more from Jason Samenow.

Because of the varying density of the upper atmosphere, they won't be able to tell where it is going to land until two hours before it plunges back to Earth.

"[The potential target is] a pretty wide area, 57 degrees north to 57 degrees south... that pretty much encompasses the entire populated world. I mean, there is a small percent that live above and below those latitudes, but the vast majority of the 7 billion people on the planet live within those latitudes,"

- Nicholas Johnson, NASA's chief orbital debris scientist

Ok, so any one person's chance is more like 1:21,000,000,000,000 (srsly)... But someone, somewhere... Damn that would be crazy
    Last edited by Strychnine; 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    6 tons of space debris "deorbiting." The largest uncontrolled satellite crash since SkyLab in 1979

Object Description:

Type: UARS Satellite
    Int'l Designation: 1991 063B
    Launched: 12 SEP 1991 @ 23:11 UTC
    Site: Deployed from Shuttle Discovery on 15 September 1991
    Mission: Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite

Reentry Prediction:

Predicted Reentry Time: 23 SEP 2011 @ 20:36 UTC ± 20 hours

Ok, so any one person's chance is more like 1:21,000,000,000,000 (srsly)... But someone, somewhere... Damn that would be crazy
    That settles it, I'm sleeping outside!
    If there is a chance I can become famous this is certainly it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
      that settles it, i'm sleeping outside!
      If there is a chance i can become famous this is certainly it.
      lmfao!!!!
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

If I get killed by a deorbiting satellite I am going to be fucking pissed about it. Of all the lotteries to win, I get the one where the reward is getting beaned in the head by some antique space junk? Fuck that.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          If I get killed by a deorbiting satellite I am going to be fucking pissed about it. Of all the lotteries to win, I get the one where the reward is getting beaned in the head by some antique space junk? Fuck that.
          Stay inside then, bitch tits. I'm going down in a blaze of glory!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Stay inside then, bitch tits. I'm going down in a blaze of glory!

You take your glory. When you're dead I'm going to eat nachos on your grave. Crumbs will be everywhere!

Comment

It's going to hit a human. The human will contract some alien bacteria, then turn into a zombie. Then it will be a domino effect of the end of the world. True story......

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                It's going to hit a human. The human will contract some alien bacteria, then turn into a zombie. Then it will be a domino effect of the end of the world. True story......
                in Garland.

Cardio, Double tap. Seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                  in Garland.

Cardio, Double tap. Seatbelts.
                  Garland was taken over years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Garland was taken over years ago!
                    ...by poverty and white fiberglass hoods......

Comment

Lmfao!
                      www.hppmotorsports.com
                      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

lol! Plus five...
                        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

=Greatness

Comment

okay to understand this in perhaps a better way for me. This should re enter earth at or around 8:36 PM on Friday? Correct or am I reading this wrong.
                            Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                            Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                            Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                              okay to understand this in perhaps a better way for me. This should re enter earth at or around 8:36 PM on Friday? Correct or am I reading this wrong.
                              LOL... give or take

The actual margin of error is even greater than depicted here – about plus-or-minus-20 hours
                              That's nearly a two day window.

Comment

Working...
                              X