Good food in Houston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good food in Houston?

I just moved to Houston yesterday for a new job, and was looking for some good reccommendations for some good grub. With as many restaurants as there are down here, there's gotta be some good spots.

Specifically I want to find the best Mexican joint(Tex Mex or otherwise) as well as some NY-style pizza. I'm in the midtown area, so anything near downtown would be the most convenient, but I'm willing to drive if it's worth my while.

Anyone got some good spots down here? bcoop? Silverback?
    2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Russo's for NY style. Cyclone Anaya's for Tex Mex. Tan Tan for any asian
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Mels.

/thread.

Comment

I live in the Heights area. Can't lose with Cyclone Anaya's in Midtown or El Tiempo on Washington for Mexican food. El Tiempo has killer fajitas. I also like the Chuy's on Kirby. El Patio in Midtown has great Margaritas, but the food is average.

Not sure on NY Style Pizza - but I like Star Pizza on Washington. There is also some decent Cajun food up in the Heights on Studemont North of 10 (I can't remember the name). Niko Niko is pretty good for Greek on Montrose. West Gray Cafe is good for greasy drunk food. Mai's in Midtown is good for Vietnamese.

Comment

Badass guys, I appreciate it. The only thing I've tried so far from a recommendation was Katz's on Westheimer, 24 hour Jewish deli. They had the best smoked Salmon sandwich I've ever tasted. Its only about 5 blocks from the house, so I think its gonna be my go to for late night munchies.

Chuy's is pretty meh, I've eaten at them all over, and they're all pretty fucking mediocre. I'm gonna put Cyclone Anaya's on my list. I saw the Greek place last week, I'll have to give it a shot. Gyros and hummus are the fucking bomb.
          2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

Goode Company is about the best BBQ that I've found down in Houston and there is a few locations. Beaver's on Sawyer is pretty good, they have some BBQ type dishes, and southern style cooking type menu. Jonathon's The Rub over off I-10 and Voss is pretty good too.

Molina's is another option for Mexican. Nino's for nicer Italian.

That should keep you busy for a few weeks.

Comment

El Rancho dont remember the name of the Hwy its off of.
              Originally posted by Da Prez
              Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
              Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by txsr20de View Post
                Chuy's is pretty meh, I've eaten at them all over, and they're all pretty fucking mediocre. I'm gonna put Cyclone Anaya's on my list. I saw the Greek place last week, I'll have to give it a shot. Gyros and hummus are the fucking bomb.
                If I had to say try anywhere on my mental dump it would be Cyclone Anaya's and El Tiempo. Bring your wallet to El Tiempo, its not cheap.

If you are looking for a good steak - I like Brenner's on the Bayou, but again not cheap.

Comment

NIKO NIKO's like Blake suggested.... love that place.

Comment

Originally posted by b1ake View Post
                    Goode Company is about the best BBQ that I've found down in Houston and there is a few locations. .
                    I haven't had their BBQ, but their seafood places are pretty damn good.

Comment

Chuys has always been hit or miss for me, regardless of the location. On their good days, I really enjoy the food there, though.

Comment

Niko Nikos if you like Greek food. http://nikonikos.com/

Was down there over Labor Day weekend and hit up Jus Mac which was really excellent.
                        Specialties: Best Mac and Cheese in the world. Established in 2010. Serving the best Mac and Cheese in the World

Comment

There used to be a Mexican place called Adrians downtown close to the Federal building. Don't know if it's still there, but they had damn good food.

Comment

theres a good tex mex place called tia marias its by tht old mall off 45/290 next to firestone

Comment

When I lived in Houston most of the best Mexican places were the hole in the wall type. The best food that I've had in Houston was America's in the Post Oak area.

Comment

Working...
                              X