Is racing 1/4 mile dead/dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is racing 1/4 mile dead/dying?

Seems like the only racing I hear about very often is 1/8th mile and I can't decide if it just because the metroplex has many more 1/8th mile tracks then 1/4mile or if 1/4mile racing is dying out?

I always find it strange when someone ask what my car runs and I tell them and you can tell they have no idea how fast a 7.0 in the 1/8th is because all they are used to hearing is 1/4 numbers. Of coarse these people dont race either so I can gauge anything based on that.

Hell, even top fuel only runs 1000ft!

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Only pussies run 1/8 mile

real mean run 1/4 and roll race

Comment

Yeah 1/8th has always been boring.

But 1/8 mile tracks have a lot of amateur events that bring in good money, that right there will make it worth it for people.

Texas Motorplex doesn't really have that.

But yeah, 1/8 mile is really?

Comment

I didnt 1/4 mile race because it was too long of a drive to go out to Ennis having Kennbelly and the Gut closer by.
        Originally posted by Da Prez
        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
          I didnt 1/4 mile race because it was too long of a drive to go out to Ennis having Kennbelly and the Gut closer by.
          ya, i'd love to run the 1/4 more often, but driving from ft. worth to either ennis or crandall is just a pita for a night of racing.

Comment

1/8 is dumb

hey guys watch me drive the length of my driveway and only get into 2nd gear

Comment

I find Ennis is a far drive, they have a funky schedule and can be difficult to deal with... Kennedale is closer, has a good schedule and good track prep...
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

1/8th mile = way less shit to break and less mph to die.
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Ennis only has good track prep when they have big events going on, and it's too far out of the way. Any news on TMS getting a 1/4 mile track like it was rumored a while back?

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                    I find Ennis is a far drive, they have a funky schedule and can be difficult to deal with... Kennedale is closer, has a good schedule and good track prep...
                    Living 5 minutes from the motorplex is a great convenience.. Even though I'm all freeway. Mexico interstate of course.
                    Don't Mess With Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
                      1/8 is dumb

hey guys watch me drive the length of my driveway and only get into 2nd gear
                      maybe to watch it is boring, but if you have a quick car i'd say 95% of the effort of racing happens during the first 1/8th mile, the tree, the launch, the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, etc. after the 1/8th it's really just about holding on and making sure the pedal stays down for a few extra seconds. just my opinion of course.

this post wasn't supposed to be a 1/4 vs. 1/8th debate, just if this trend of 1/8th mile being more popular is universal or just local.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                        maybe to watch it is boring, but if you have a quick car i'd say 95% of the effort of racing happens during the first 1/8th mile, the tree, the launch, the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, etc. after the 1/8th it's really just about holding on and making sure the pedal stays down for a few extra seconds. just my opinion of course.

this post wasn't supposed to be a 1/4 vs. 1/8th debate, just if this trend of 1/8th mile being more popular is universal or just local.
                        yes, but the final 1/4 mile helps showcase your engine builders/tuners efforts.

Why do you think events like the Texas Mile are growing more and more popular? People want to see cars slingshot into lightspeed, tires blazing the whole way.

Comment

I just depends on the area you live in.
                          Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time...
                            Originally posted by talisman
                            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                            Originally posted by AdamLX
                            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            Because fuck you, that's why
                            Originally posted by 80coupe
                            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                            Originally posted by Rick Modena
                            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                              I just depends on the area you live in.
                              ^^^ I agree.

I lived in New England for 20 years and I never saw an 1/8th mile track. I spent a ton of Wednesday and Friday nights at the local 1/4 mile track, New England Dragway. It helped that I got free tickets for living in the same town as the track.

I have only been to the local tracks here a few times since racing on them just isn't as much fun and the closet 1/4 mile tracks are 80-90 miles away.
                              01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Working...
                              X