No announcement yet.

Mustangs and Muscle cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I understand some of the sentiments here. I feel that modern cars have gotten way too heavy & complicated....and too civilized in some ways. Hell even a base Civic is now 2700 lbs....800 lbs heavier than 15 years ago.

What we need is a RWD car that weighs about 3000lbs, has 350hp, without a nav system, without a paddled shift auto, without power windows, door locks, seats, sunroof...no heated & cooled seats (which you don't need with cloth seats anyway), sort of a modern Plymouth Roadrunner.

But that's not going to happen, so we buildup older cars.

Comment

• Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
      I understand some of the sentiments here. I feel that modern cars have gotten way too heavy & complicated....and too civilized in some ways. Hell even a base Civic is now 2700 lbs....800 lbs heavier than 15 years ago.

What we need is a RWD car that weighs about 3000lbs, has 350hp, without a nav system, without a paddled shift auto, without power windows, door locks, seats, sunroof...no heated & cooled seats (which you don't need with cloth seats anyway), sort of a modern Plymouth Roadrunner.

this

Comment

I understand some of the sentiments here. I feel that modern cars have gotten way too heavy & complicated....and too civilized in some ways. Hell even a base Civic is now 2700 lbs....800 lbs heavier than 15 years ago.

Well, if you could accept 3600lbs and 412hp, you just described the new base GT. You can buy one for a little over 26k if it doesn't have a lot of options and you work the right deal. It will embarrass ANY stock Road Runner in a drag race, even a strpper one with a 426 Hemi. Oh, and it will stop. And turn. And has A/C.

I'm into old cars, but it's fucking retarded to act like they're better than new cars. They aren't. I think most of you know I've had (and have) my fair share of old crap. I love them, but there's no comparison.

As for styling, the government got involved in '73 and you should know that never makes anything better.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• I sharted because of the eggs.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Momentomoir View Post
            well looks, yes also, the way they are made, the lightness and easier to work on, and dont have to worry about the dam computer.
            You want light, easy to work on and no computer?

Hmm.. Sounds like a carbd foxbody.

Btw, when you down talk the introduction to electronic fuel injection, and computer controlled ignition. Not only do you sound like a tard you're going against what muscle cars are all about. Horsepower.

The fuel Atomization you can get from direct injection surpasses any carburetor. That damn computer has made cars more powerful, reliable and economical and to say they are harder to work on and diaganose is complete bullshit.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Safety standards is what keeps the weight up.

Look at the old CRX, no door bars or anything. 1600lbs wet and if you got in s wreck it was the same as a getting crushed in a tin can. Cars have came a long ways and while the weight is bad for us gear heads, the rest of the world enjoys being able to live through accidents unlike older cars to if you got into a front end collision the steering wheel will go through your head, and the rigidity of the frame will break your neck because it does not absorb impact.

To compare the two is foolish, there is no comparison. For any reason other then nostalgic, modern car all the way.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

• Guys, late '60's Chevelle's and GTO's were 3600-3700 pounds. That's why 400hp got you mid-14's in the 1/4, and 0-60 in 7 seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by f0ur sixer View Post
                  I hate technology! I hate new cars! I hate computers!

Sent from my iPhone
                  £O£ tard
                  Don't Mess With Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Well, if you could accept 3600lbs and 412hp, you just described the new base GT. You can buy one for a little over 26k if it doesn't have a lot of options and you work the right deal. It will embarrass ANY stock Road Runner in a drag race, even a strpper one with a 426 Hemi. Oh, and it will stop. And turn. And has A/C.

I'm into old cars, but it's fucking retarded to act like they're better than new cars. They aren't. I think most of you know I've had (and have) my fair share of old crap. I love them, but there's no comparison.

As for styling, the government got involved in '73 and you should know that never makes anything better.

Where is Elvis to say BOOOOOOSHHHHH?

Comment

• BOOSH!

and welcome home gents

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Any car manufactured after '72 is automaticcally disqualified.

Muscle cars should have a three digit cubic inch number, starting with a number higher than 2. No "liter" badges, muscle cars don't know what a liter is, since they were born in America. All metal bodies, no plastic bs. They should also have more tire than wheel as well. No "dubs", hub caps are acceptable, and raised white letter tires are encouraged. It should also have at least one four barrel carburetor, and a back seat that is conception ready. They should be accompanied by a smell of unburnt fuel, old vinyl, and the sound of glasspacks.

I used to get dropped off at school everyday in my mothers' '70 olds W-30. When someone mentions a muscle car, this image flashes in my mind.

should they also run like shit, handle like a 2 legged bulldog, be hard to start in cold weather, have shitty drum brakes, have their drivability change from one season to the next, have terrible axle bind, and weak alternators?

Some of you are really looking back at older cars with a serious rose-colored bias. Oddly enough, one of which is the 21 year old thread starter....

Don't get me wrong, im a fan of old muscle cars, but you would be crazy to not think we are in a second golden age of cars. Cars today run cleaner, more efficient, are more powerful, handle better, ride better, make more power, are raced more often than cars did before.

Comment

• Raced more often? lol

Besides, when old cars break, that gives you a reason / excuse to start spending a bunch of money on them. Right Ryan?
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                            should they also run like shit, handle like a 2 legged bulldog, be hard to start in cold weather, have shitty drum brakes, have their drivability change from one season to the next, have terrible axle bind, and weak alternators?

Some of you are really looking back at older cars with a serious rose-colored bias. Oddly enough, one of which is the 21 year old thread starter....

Don't get me wrong, im a fan of old muscle cars, but you would be crazy to not think we are in a second golden age of cars. Cars today run cleaner, more efficient, are more powerful, handle better, ride better, make more power, are raced more often than cars did before.
                            Only people i see race newer cars at the tracks are guys that are too lazy to work on their own car and buy it off the line with performance parts, the guys that actually work on their cars typically have older models.

I see people like my mom and dad both with 06 mustangs race and talk about racing but yet they both wish to have a 67/69 to race with. My dad sold his 69 mustang and regrets it and would trade his new one for the old one.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              Raced more often? lol
                              I would be willing to say more miatas, newer 911's hondas, newer corvettes, and mustangs prowl the dragstrips, raceways, and cone farms than anything older on a given weekend. You dont see a lot of old muscle outside of drag racing, which is only a portion of the wider hobby. Most older cars just get trailered or make the short cruise to a car show parking spot than race

And your parents probably miss more being young and having the time and energy to do projects like a muscle car than having one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Momentomoir View Post

Thats our lil toy we're working on.
                                We have a shell for a '67 that were building from the ground up later on. One project at a time

Where are the spoke baskets that belong on those wheels?

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                                Any car manufactured after '72 is automaticcally disqualified.
                                Any car manufactured after 72'??.....You sure about that?

Last edited by Rreemo; 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM.
                                70' Chevelle RagTop
                                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                                X