Yakima Roof rack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakima Roof rack question

So I'm looking to get myself a roof rack for my Genesis from Yakima. My trunk rack is damaging the paint on my rear bumper, regardless whether or not I put towels at the contact points.

I measured the roof of my car around 43" across, however Yakima is calling for a 58" cross bar. That sounds wrong? They do offer a 48" crossbar, but Im not sure.
    Oh, this isn't for the doucehag subie with a rack look. I actually mountain bike.

Thanks!
    Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Guess that's right.

Comment

Before you buy one, I have an old one that might work. It is old, but in great shape. It has been in my attic for years.

I might be able to save you a couple hundred dollars, but you gotta buy me a sammich.

Comment

What brand is it? My car is pretty specific to the new q-towers from Yakima. They're apparently the only company who makes a fitting rack. I'd like to see your rig.

Comment

Cute!

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
            Cute!
            It's no #6

Comment

I had a yakima roof rack 48" on my scion tc and it was noisy, even with the wind fairing. The metal q clips/landing pads squeezed the body down so tight I was not comfortable. Any thief with a screwdriver could snap the clips off the lip and walk away with the bikes mounted to the rack as a unit.

Welded receiver hitch with bike trays is the way to go for security and stability.

Hands down the roof rack gets the bling factor.

you could get away with 48" cross bars. If they are calling for 58's I would buy those and cut off excess tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                I had a yakima roof rack 48" on my scion tc and it was noisy, even with the wind fairing. The metal q clips/landing pads squeezed the body down so tight I was not comfortable. Any thief with a screwdriver could snap the clips off the lip and walk away with the bikes mounted to the rack as a unit.

Welded receiver hitch with bike trays is the way to go for security and stability.

Hands down the roof rack gets the bling factor.

you could get away with 48" cross bars. If they are calling for 58's I would buy those and cut off excess tubing.
                I don't have a hitch, and a trunk mount is out of the question. Thanks for the heads up, as I'll also be ordering the locks for the q-towers

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                  What brand is it? My car is pretty specific to the new q-towers from Yakima. They're apparently the only company who makes a fitting rack. I'd like to see your rig.
                  Yakima.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

If its no workie on the roof rack for the Genesis id be interested in it for the mustang, if it works.

Comment

I had a yakima on my jetta. I loved it. Get the bars that it specs and after you get it all fitted you can cut them down with a hacksaw and put the caps on and it will look perfect.

Comment

What kind of mountain bike and where do you ride at?

Comment

Originally posted by jason07 View Post
                            What kind of mountain bike and where do you ride at?
                            Trek. I ride the local trails like northshore, river legacy, Erwin park etc.

Comment

I would buy those and cut off excess tubing.
                              This ^. Yakima makes a hell of a rack as most know. I've had mine between 2 Jeeps and almost 15 years. I cut mine down to match the body's width (about 1/2" on both ends on mine). I had the fairing but didn't use it on the 2nd Jeep for sunroof reasons. But it wasn't much quieter. If anything, I lost some "whistle".

I have a 3 tray setup and was rushing to get out of the rain during ABA Nationals. Ended up hitting the parking garage at the hotel. Ripped all 3 off. Broke the dropout on one. The others were fine. The rack and car.......not a scratch or dent! So mind your clearances! Especially in the drive-thru after a ride lol. The bars are a bit faded but nothing like I would have expected given the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X