netflix fallout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yack. i'm out.

i'm guessing after it's all settled the streaming service is going to be profitable and the mail order business is going to flop.

funny cause i hated their streaming service but loved blurays by mail.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Just got this in an email...

Dear Jamey,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.

Comment

We all did I assumed
        Originally posted by Nash B.
        Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
          We all did I assumed
          yup
          Dear Charles,

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
            yup
            No way! I got one too

Dear Jonathan,

Respectfully yours,

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              Today Netflix announced that it will split itself in two. It will create a new company (or division?) named Quikster for the DVD rental business. The streaming business will continue to be Netflix.

WTF? Is this company intent on killing itself?

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expl...id=netflixBlog
              They probably see mailed discs as a faulty buisness model when compared to streaming and are isolating so it doesnt kill the company.

I think streaming side will fail first as more competition comes to market

Comment

No shit I got the same fucking email I thought I was special when it said dear David

Dear David,

Respectfully yours,

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                  They probably see mailed discs as a faulty buisness model when compared to streaming and are isolating so it doesnt kill the company.

The problem with the competition thought process is all of the ownership rights for the movies, shows, and so forth are all going to be owned by the same companies. They will set the rates for all of the different companies, so competition will be very difficult. And more than likely, it will benefit the larger corporation (netflix). Just look at Hulu Plus, it has jack shit for movies because of this.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

That was exactly my thought when i read it. First contain, then kill.

The well of distributors providing content is drying up faster than a puddle in the desert and they have nothing on the horizon.

Comment

I got this email as well...

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        The problem with the competition thought process is all of the ownership rights for the movies, shows, and so forth are all going to be owned by the same companies. They will set the rates for all of the different companies, so competition will be very difficult. And more than likely, it will benefit the larger corporation (netflix). Just look at Hulu Plus, it has jack shit for movies because of this.
                        Eventually the the production houses and ISPs will start streaming, to cut out the middle man. While pricing may be fluctuate between them for awhile they will eventually come a consensus for "first run" pricing and then take an approach similar to itunes where there will be a max cost but at times there will be lower priced offerings.

At that time Hulu, and netflix will be nothing more than store faces to 2-3 different backbones

Comment

Let's all write back to Reed..."Show me the moneyyyy!!!"

Comment

Eventually the the production houses and ISPs will start streaming, to cut out the middle man. While pricing may be fluctuate between them for awhile they will eventually come a consensus for "first run" pricing and then take an approach similar to itunes where there will be a max cost but at times there will be lower priced offerings.

At that time Hulu, and netflix will be nothing more than store faces to 2-3 different backbones
                            I seriously doubt they will offer direct. The reason for this is splitting their customer base. There needs to be universal customer market, and I guarantee the different production companies will not team up together. They never have in the past, either, btw.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Man, I hate it when I can't rent videos.

Comment

Its a perfect time for blockbuster (dish network) to announce their streaming service to compete with netflix again! Rumors are that its going to be announced friday and supposedly its where starz ended up...

Comment

Working...
                                X