Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Antonio Riverwalk Vacation ideas needed(Halloween)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Antonio Riverwalk Vacation ideas needed(Halloween)

Well I haven’t taken a true vacation in quite a few years, so I figure it’s about time to get out and do something in life!
    Since I hardly ever do anything besides work, work out, and eat, I want to treat my lady right and make this trip very special for us.
    I have tried to do my research on what to see, where to eat, and where to stay down on the Riverwalk, but I would like you guys input as well.
    My GF and I will stay at the Omni hotel Oct. 28, 29, 30, and 31st(so we will be there through Halloween).
    They do plan on having a parade and floating caskets down the river on Halloween, which seems like an idea she will enjoy.
    Luckily, the hotel offers a pretty good fitness center across the street at their affiliated 5 star hotel called the Mokara Hotel and Spa, so you know where I’ll be while the princess sleeps in!
    Any firsthand experience and/or help with ideas on what to see, what to do, and where to eat would be appreciated.
    Since we will be there a few days and nights, I just want to make sure we do not miss out on anything.
    Thank you,

Here is the possible To Do List so far:

Activities:
    1) Alamo and Alamo IMAX Theatre
    2) Brackenridge Park(San Antonio Zoo, McNay Art Museum, Jap Tea Gardens, Botanical Gardens, etc…)
    3) Riverwalk(Boat ride, of course)
    4) Towers of America(not to eat, just view)
    5) Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, Plaza Theatre of Wax, 3D Tomb Rider Adventure Ride
    6) Natural Bridge Caverns and Wildlife Adventure or Cascade Caverns
    7) Five Finger Death Punch in Concert
    8) 13th Floor Haunted House
    9) Segway Private Tour(this should be quite interesting, lol)
    10) Enchanted Springs Ranch

Eats(I am a very picky healthy eater that eats a lot!):
    1) Fogo de Chao(all you can eat)
    2) County Line BBQ(all you can eat)
    3) Landry’s Seafood
    4) La Margarita
    5) Hard Rock Café(just never been to one before)
    6) Texas Land and Cattle
    7) Zuni Grill
    8) Definitely will be scouting out all of the different hotels resturants/buffets!

Looks like you pretty much have it all covered. I wouldn't bother with the Ripleys stuff though. That was a waste of money IMO.

Fogo De Chao is a must IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
      Well I haven’t taken a true vacation in quite a few years, so I figure it’s about time to get out and do something in life!
      Since I hardly ever do anything besides work, work out, and eat, I want to treat my lady right and make this trip very special for us.
      I have tried to do my research on what to see, where to eat, and where to stay down on the Riverwalk, but I would like you guys input as well.
      My GF and I will stay at the Omni hotel Oct. 28, 29, 30, and 31st(so we will be there through Halloween).
      They do plan on having a parade and floating caskets down the river on Halloween, which seems like an idea she will enjoy.
      Luckily, the hotel offers a pretty good fitness center across the street at their affiliated 5 star hotel called the Mokara Hotel and Spa, so you know where I’ll be while the princess sleeps in!
      Any firsthand experience and/or help with ideas on what to see, what to do, and where to eat would be appreciated.
      Since we will be there a few days and nights, I just want to make sure we do not miss out on anything.
      Thank you,

Here is the possible To Do List so far:

Activities:
      1) Alamo and Alamo IMAX Theatre
      2) Brackenridge Park(San Antonio Zoo, McNay Art Museum, Jap Tea Gardens, Botanical Gardens, etc…)
      3) Riverwalk(Boat ride, of course)
      4) Towers of America(not to eat, just view)
      5) Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, Plaza Theatre of Wax, 3D Tomb Rider Adventure Ride
      6) Natural Bridge Caverns and Wildlife Adventure or Cascade Caverns
      8) 13th Floor Haunted House
      9) Segway Private Tour(this should be quite interesting, lol)
      10) Enchanted Springs Ranch

Eats(I am a very picky healthy eater that eats a lot!):
      1) Fogo de Chao(all you can eat)
      2) County Line BBQ(all you can eat)
      3) Landry’s Seafood
      4) La Margarita
      5) Hard Rock Café(just never been to one before)
      6) Texas Land and Cattle
      7) Zuni Grill
      8) Definitely will be scouting out all of the different hotels resturants/buffets!
      fixed!

and i think you hit all the highpoints. for that many days maybe consider making the drive to Austin, or see if the horses are running at retama park there in SA.

EDIT: i like the ripleys stuff, then again i am pretty easliy amused.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sounds like a great trip! I, for one, am not a fan of The County Line BBQ. There's not really any good BBQ joints that I know of in SA. Lots of good Mexican though! You gotta try the big Parrillada at La Margarita.

Comment

Just remembered, you need to go to the Market and Mi Tierra's.

Pan FTW!!

Comment

Go on the Mission Trail. There is a still complete Mission in south San Antonio that was very cool to see. They also have a little theater in the visitors center that shows a pretty good short film on the history of the different missions in TX. The rest of the missions are only partially intact, kinda like the Alamo but they're still fun to visit.

<-------- likes historical stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Just remembered, you need to go to the Market and Mi Tierra's.

Pan FTW!!
              Mi Tierra's food was ok but the rest of the market was fun to browse.

Comment

The original first restaurant on the River Walk:
                Casa Rio was the first restaurant to open on the San Antonio Riverwalk. We keep the classic in tex-mex. Vegetarian and Gluten free options available. Host your private event with a central view of the Riverwalk. Up to 300 people can be accommodated. Did we mention that Casa Rio's margaritas are deli

No Sea World?
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                  Mi Tierra's food was ok but the rest of the market was fun to browse.
                  To mexicans, Mi Tierras is nothing special because it is just another Tex-mex place.

To white people, it is unfuckingbelievable.

I don't get to eat pan often, so I grub down when we go down there.

Comment

coyote ugly? hah

Comment

Fogo De Chao is a must IMO.
                      Most definitely!
                      Probably won't hold up to Texas De Brazil though.

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      fixed!

and i think you hit all the highpoints. for that many days maybe consider making the drive to Austin, or see if the horses are running at retama park there in SA.
                      god bless.
                      I have never been to a horse race before, so we might have to go check that out.

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                      Sounds like a great trip! I, for one, am not a fan of The County Line BBQ. There's not really any good BBQ joints that I know of in SA. Lots of good Mexican though! You gotta try the big Parrillada at La Margarita.
                      Yea, I am used to Main Street BBQ, so you are probably right...it won't compare.
                      I might try that, but since their chicken fajitas are 1lb servings each, I will probably just order two for myself and be good to go!

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                      Go on the Mission Trail. There is a still complete Mission in south San Antonio that was very cool to see. They also have a little theater in the visitors center that shows a pretty good short film on the history of the different missions in TX. The rest of the missions are only partially intact, kinda like the Alamo but they're still fun to visit.

<-------- likes historical stuff
                      I like historical stuff as well and haven't seen any historical sites since I was required to back in college.
                      I actually miss it!
                      We will go check that out as well.

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                      The original first restaurant on the River Walk:
                      Casa Rio was the first restaurant to open on the San Antonio Riverwalk. We keep the classic in tex-mex. Vegetarian and Gluten free options available. Host your private event with a central view of the Riverwalk. Up to 300 people can be accommodated. Did we mention that Casa Rio's margaritas are deli

No Sea World?
                      That restaurant only serves .5lb chicken fajitas, so I'm out on that one!
                      As for the Sea World, she would probably love that, but it's an all day thing(bummer for me and my appetite, lol).
                      I'll put that one down in the "maybe" column.

To mexicans, Mi Tierras is nothing special because it is just another Tex-mex place.

To white people, it is unfuckingbelievable.

I don't get to eat pan often, so I grub down when we go down there.
                      What is pan?

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                        Most definitely!
                        Probably won't hold up to Texas De Brazil though.

What is pan?
                        I haven't been to Texas De Brazil, but the salad bar and meat was bad ass. We went on a saturday night and we were thinking we had to dress up a bit. Turns out people were showing up in tshirt sandles and shorts.

Mexican sweet bread=pan

Comment

Boudro's.

Period.
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

The weather will be nice that time of year so you should go up to Gruene and eat at the Gristmill. Then go next door to Gruene Hall. Also a drive up to Fredericksburg would be bad ass if yall have never been there. My wife loves going up there.

Comment

Oh, I forgot about the Buckhorn Saloon/Museum and Texas Ranger Museum:
                              Anchored in Texas history, The Buckhorn Saloon Museum offers the full Texas experience for locals and tourists alike. Visit us today!

Witte Museum is pretty nice as well:
                              Consistently ranked as San Antonio's top museum! Explore Texas history, wildlife, dinosaurs and more!
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X