is an Apple G5 computer fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is an Apple G5 computer fast?

looking for a cheap but "cool" computer for my 10 year old son. He wants an apple laptop or computer. I was looking on ebay and come across some cheap G5s that seem to have decent specs. Just curious if these will serve ok for surfing internet, playing videos, internet games, etc?

Hell yes it is!

Look how fast I found the "Computer forum"
    http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

That's where you post shit about computers and games!

Pretty fucking neat, right?

Comment

Didn't you teach him to be a leader and not follower? Apple based platforms are all hype based. Buy a PC.
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
        Didn't you teach him to be a leader and not follower? Apple based platforms are all hype based. Buy a PC

Posted from my Iphone!
        ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          ftfy
          lol.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Hell yes it is!

Look how fast I found the "Computer forum"
            http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

That's where you post shit about computers and games!

Pretty fucking neat, right?
            Post of the day.
            Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

He wants an apple because he thinks they are cool. However, they are very limited in many perspectives.

A PC can do EVERYTHING a MAC can do. A MAC can do SOME things a PC can.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

And apple computers, component wise, are IBM based. The only thing you're paying a premium for is a fancy case, and a pretty OS. I admit, I don't own an apple PC, but that's what I get out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  He wants an apple because he thinks they are cool.
                  This may be true, but I don't see any harm in getting the kid what he wants if you can pick one up for cheap.

Nothing wrong with the G5s, but if he wants to be able to play more recent games and run the newer "cooler" looking OS versions, you would probably be better off looking for a little newer machine that is Intel-based. I think they had all made the transition from the PowerPC to Intel processors by 2006-07. They will probably be a little pricier, but the reason that the G5 machines are available so cheaply is that they aren't capable of running much of the newer software.
                  2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

get him a mac, almost no way he can screw it up
                    Big Rooster Racing
                    1985 Mustang GT

Comment

A mac is good for younger kids who don't know much about preventing viruses... I think they are pretty fail safe.

Comment

When we drink we do it right gettin' slizzard. Oh wait, that's a G6.

Comment

An Ibook G5 (the predecessor to the intel Macbooks) is a decently capable computer. The most current OS it can run (without some hacking) is OS X Leopard which is VERY similar..almost identical to Snow Leopard which was current until 2011. I would have no problem getting one for a kid...they are practically virus proof...run pretty fast if you max out the memory, and work great. If you patiently hunt Craigslist you can find some insanely good deals on Intel Macbooks which is what I would suggest. I've picked up several in the 100-200 dollar range that only needed a hard-drive..or more memory..or a battery. The Core 2 Duo Macbooks will run OSX-LION (if you care).

Comment

It's no G6.... "like a G6....like a G6"...

Comment

You Apple haters are worse then the fanboys.

What games are we talking about? You might be best to just get him an ipad.
                              DamonH

Comment

Working...
                              X