? for the ex smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the ex smokers

What helped you get over the cravings? And when did the cravings end? Today is day #6 for me and the past 2 days have been crazy with the cravings like I'm a Damn heroin addict..
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Gum and toothpicks. I still light one up once in a blue moon when I've been drinking quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
      What helped you get over the cravings? And when did the cravings end? Today is day #6 for me and the past 2 days have been crazy with the cravings like I'm a Damn heroin addict..
      July 2, 1984, was my last cigarette. I was always an athlete (into college) and decided to start training again. I just threw myself into training. A few months later, my wife told me I was going to be a daddy for the first time, and after that, it was cake.

Comment

Keeping myself busy. I tried gum and sunflower seeds and that didnt help much. After about 2 weeks it will get a lot easier. Be prepared for weird dreams for a long time though. Im going on 2 years now and still have dreams that I was chain smoking and wake up feeling guilty as hell.

Quitting smoking was probably the hardest thing I ever did but very worth it. Keep it up!!

Comment

congrats man. stay strong,

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I've been back and forth with this a hundred times. Completely unsuccessful on all of them.

The e cigarette by far helps the most, but my downfall every time is drinking. With the e cig you still get the nicotine, with none of the bad stuff. It also helps with the fidgety part of it. Then you can step down the nicotine levels, until you're completely off the nicotine.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

sunflower seeds.. havent had a smoke in 9 months
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I just decided it was time to quit. Before I actually stopped, i switched to an electric cigarette for about six months, which helped break the physical cigarette part.

It's been about eight months since I stopped smoking. I have had a cigarette here and there, but no more than the typical non smoker who is out drinking with their smoking friends. Maybe an average of one a week, and that's pushing it.

The first two weeks were tough, but I really told myself no matter what, I wouldn't buy any cigarettes, I also stopped drinking for the first few months, so that any poor decisions didn't kill the progress. I knew that a little drunk slip might have put me back on the smoking wagon.

Good luck, once you get past a month, it's smooth sailing other than habit stuff. One night I was out, and I picked up someone's pack of cigarettes, and lighter, lit one, and then as I took a drag, realised... "i don't smoke anymore", and put it out. I guess old habits are hard to break.

Comment

Everytime the cravings would get bad I would do some short cardio, jumping jacks, jog ect. After about 5mins and not being able to breath it reminded me why I was quiting.
                  Don't ever use that nicotine gun, you'll just get addicted to that.
                  You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

10.03.06 was my last tobacco indulgence. I used the nicotine gun and mints and they helped. I tried Chantix, but it was expensive and the nightmares were awful.

Comment

i smoke when i drink...but even then it's 2 maybe 3 a night

i did smoke when i was in the military, there is just nothing else to do sometimes. the most i smoked was like a pack a week. as soon as i got back it was just like before, a couple when i'm drinking and that's it

Comment

Comment

Since you did it cold turkey - it's straight up willpower from here on out. Are you going to let something like that rule your life, or are you stronger than that?

And think of yourself as a non-smoker if you don't already - not someone who quit or is quitting. It's a lifestyle decision. Stick with it. Honestly, give it about 3 weeks and you'll be surprised at how easy it is to manage from then on.

I've been done with them for about 17 months now.
                          Men have become the tools of their tools.
                          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                            Since you did it cold turkey - it's straight up willpower from here on out. Are you going to let something like that rule your life, or are you stronger than that?
                            That was my main thought the whole time too. When I wanted one I would question why it has so much power over me and then ask myself if I was that weak.

I will say the hardest part about quitting was throwing away that last pack. I had half a pack left and I kept it on me for almost a week before throwing it in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                              I will say the hardest part about quitting was throwing away that last pack. I had half a pack left and I kept it on me for almost a week before throwing it in the trash.
                              That's a big key. Getting rid of all access to cigarettes, and telling yourself you won't buy anymore.

I just stopped going inside of gas stations, and only paid at the pump, just to keep the old habit of picking up a couple of packs with gas from happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X