No announcement yet.

10 years ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at work, in a warehouse. My boss' wife had a tv in her office, and she watched GMA or something like it every morning. She screamed when the news hit. We all ran in there to see what her problem was. We were watching when the second tower hit. It was clear when the second plane hit what was happening. I immediately called my mother, who worked for FDIC in the Federal Bldg in Dallas. She hadn't made it to work yet, was still on the bus. She got there, and they sent her home. I seem to remember most of the buildings downtown closing down.

My son was 3 weeks old at the time. That day was so surreal. As was the following week. The night of 9/11 several friends and i had picked up a fuck ton of beer and being glued to the news channels. We had friends stationed all over the place, and were somewhat obsessed with the "what next" aspect of it all. I vividly remember 97.1 playing Seek and Destroy about every third song.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
      When the first plane hit, I was about 3 miles off the coast of Jacksonville, Fl. on board an Arleigh Burke class destroyer. We were waiting for the rest of the John F. Kennedy battle group to leave port. Within 5 minutes of the second plane hitting, we were ordered to depart and we were making about a 30 foot rooster tail, heading towards the mouth of the Delaware River. We were at General Quarters (a.k.a. battle stations) for the entire transit, anti-air and anti-surface stations all manned and ready. It was absolutely surreal to hear the Captain tell us that we would engage any identified threat without question and without fail, knowing full well that the threat in question would probably have U.S. citizens on board. Thankfully, we never had to do that.
      Wow, talk about something you thought you would never hear.

I was sitting in my anatomy class and then english in my senior high school year. The first plane hit at the end of anatomy and when we walked into english. Just watched the news for the next hour and a half. We had football practice at lunch instead of after school since everyone got out early. It was an eerie practice since we were only a few miles from Bush airport which is one of the busiest in the world and did not hear a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
        Wow, talk about something you thought you would never hear.

I was sitting in my anatomy class and then english in my senior high school year. The first plane hit at the end of anatomy and when we walked into english. Just watched the news for the next hour and a half. We had football practice at lunch instead of after school since everyone got out early. It was an eerie practice since we were only a few miles from Bush airport which is one of the busiest in the world and did not hear a plane.
        Did you go to Spring HS?

Comment

Was in 4th grade. Sat in class and did a little work, teachers kept disappearing and talking and had no true idea what was going on. Spent a full day in classes, didn't get to leave early. Plus mom was in surgery that day. Went in right around 9 for surgery. Don't remember much from it, but that small stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            Did you go to Spring HS?
            Humble High

Comment

I was in manual transmission/drive axle class at UTI in Houston. A teacher came in and told us so we turned the tv on. We watched the second plane hit and we were all in shock. We had a german substitute teacher that day and 4-5 minutes after the second plane hit he told us we we're being overly dramatic and needed to get back to class. He almost got mobbed. If it wasnt for another teacher dragging him out of the room he probably wouldve been beatin to death.
              I lost my job at the air port 2 weeks after that.

Comment

I was drinking coffee waiting for my brother to come by and pick me up as we were going striper fishing that morning, he called around 6:30 and told me he would be late. He arrived at my house right as the reports for the first plane hitting broke story. We ended up setting in front my TV until around 3PM.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I was a Junior in High School and they had stopped all classes and put on the news, I arrived at school a bit late and I was like sweet, a fucking movie? Then I had to Poker Face because I had no fucking idea it was live. Then we celebrated my brother's and father's birthday, which is also today! Happy birthday Bro and Dad! Also lest we never forget.
                  First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

I was doing barracks maintenance in Basic Training (hiding under the bed and napping while others were on lookout) and a Drill came running into the barracks and told us to get to the office immediately. We all took off running and they had a 19" TV sitting there showing it to us. I saw plane 2 hit the WTC and was just overwhelmed with anger.

After the second plane hit, the Drills told us "Men, we're going to train up, we're going to teach you hard and fast because we are going to war."

Our entire infantry training had that to fuel us. No matter how hard it got, how much you wanted to quit, that was in your mind. Pay Back
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Sitting in the classroom at the Texoma regional police academy. It hit hard, I went to talk to the recruiters to re-enlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        No matter how hard it got, how much you wanted to quit, that was in your mind. Pay Back
                        Fuck Yea! get some!!!!

Comment

I was in 2nd period Drama class.... we turned the TV's on and just watched in amazement.
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I was living in the campus apartments at CCCC in Plano. I left to go to work at the Discount Tire on Spring Creek and 75. As I pulled up to the red light at Spring Creek and Jupiter, I heard a small plane had hit the first tower. As I hit the next light they said it was a larger plane. And when I hit the next light They said it was a jet liner. I sped to work as quick as I could, ran inside and told the guys what I'd herd. I will always remember the exchange of words I had with my boss.
                            Him: "It's probably that Osama Bin laden guy. He hates America."
                            Me: "Who?"
                            What an odd feeling it is now, remembering what it was like not knowing who he was.

I went up to the brake room and hooked up a coat hanger as make shift antenna for the TV VCR combo we used for training. I tuned in a station just in time to see the second plane hit. Then the towers came down. It still chokes me up thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X