Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do wheelchair accessible minivans ride so high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do wheelchair accessible minivans ride so high?

i have always noticed that the rear suspension on them was around a foot higher than normal ones. i saw one at a red light the other day and it looked like the front was raised as well. i know electric wheel chairs are heavy but didn't think they were that heavy
    <-----random thought of the day

Some of the people in them are very heavy!
    Ded

Comment

i thought that too but they usually have some siding or running boards to hide the underside since it's lifted so high. if the chair/people were so heavy it would sag down and crush them

Comment

Is this a wheelchair accessible minivan down by the river?
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

negative... but there was a fat guy in a cheap suit driving it

Comment

Never been inside one but maybe the body is lifted and the floor lowered so people in wheelchairs can have more room to manuver?

Comment

The under chassis ramps are about 6" thick, with stock ride height that'd leave vans with only a couple of inches of ground clearance.

Comment

I've always wondered why the handicapped stalls in public places have toilets so far off the ground compared to their non-gimp intended counterparts.
                sigpic

Comment

In addition to carrying the extra weight, it allows for more flexibility when loading/unloading at different curb heights, some of which can be very tall.
                  2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                    i have always noticed that the rear suspension on them was around a foot higher than normal ones. i saw one at a red light the other day and it looked like the front was raised as well. i know electric wheel chairs are heavy but didn't think they were that heavy
                    <-----random thought of the day
                    Mad donk yo!

Comment

dropped floor

Comment

It's because the have to drop the floor around 10"-12" so in order to accomplish it they raise the body and section the van/frame.

Comment

Yep, dropped floor, and many of the higher end models also have the kneeling feature(air bags) to raise/lower to help loading/unloading.

The rear-entry vans are almost always higher as well, if they have the lowered floor/rear-entry.
                          The side-entry with lowered floors have the entire center dropped down whereas the rear-entry are raised so that the rear lowered floor clears the dead axle in the rear.

Comment

I saw a handicapped guy park in a regular spot at the store the other day. I promptly gave him shit for taking a spot that some poor able bodied person could use, then I slashed his tires.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                              It's because the have to drop the floor around 10"-12" so in order to accomplish it they raise the body and section the van/frame.
                              This plus suspension modifications to handle the extra weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X