X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man dressed as Gumby tries to rob store

Thu, Sep 08 11:14 AM EDT
    By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In the world of animated TV, it's no stretch to say that good-natured Gumby is far down the list of characters that would commit armed robbery.

But a man clad in a full-figured Gumby costume has made a botched attempt to rob a 7-Eleven store in California, and authorities are looking for the suspect, police said on Wednesday.

It happened early on Monday when the man came into the San Diego store dressed as the green claymation figure, accompanied by an ordinarily dressed accomplice, San Diego Police spokesman Detective Gary Hassen said.

The costumed man announced he was robbing the store, but the clerk thought it was a joke, police said.

"Gumby said, 'You don't think it's a robbery? Let me show you my gun,'" Hassen said.

The suspect then tried to reach into his Gumby outfit but experienced a "costume malfunction" and could not fit his hand in a pocket, he said.

Instead of a gun, the costumed suspect pulled out 26 cents in change which he dropped on the floor, police said.

The accomplice, who had left the store and gotten into a minivan, honked at the man dressed as Gumby. He, too, walked out of the store without managing to take any money, police said. Both men left in the minivan.

After their getaway, the store clerk was still not certain an attempted robbery had occurred and did not call police. The store manager, who arrived later that morning, reported the incident.

Police were treating the episode, which was captured on surveillance video, as an attempted robbery and not a prank, Hassen said.

Gumby, a green humanoid figure who looks like an elastic stick of gum with limbs, was created in the 1950s by the late Art Clokey and his wife, Ruth. Gumby had a sidekick, the talking orange horse Pokey.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

?

Comment

Eddie Murphy must be really having a tough time finding work after his last couple of movies.

Comment

Where was 80coupe?

Been fighting a mushy brake pedal for a while now. If I press the pedal when coming to a stop, it doesnt build pressure, it starts to slow down and eventually the pedal will go to the floor. If I'm already stopped and I press the pedal it has pressure then it bleeds off and the pedal goes down. I don't have any (or major)

Comment

Is it still a robery if you come in and leave your money, but don't take any?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            Is it still a robery if you come in and leave your money, but don't take any?
            Apparently only if you say "this is a robbery!" Then drop 26 cents exactly.
            Last edited by 90GT50; 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

it was me!

Comment

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
                  it was me!
                  I knew it!!

Comment

Instead of a gun, the costumed suspect pulled out 26 cents in change which he dropped on the floor, police said.

lmao

Oh man, the video is here
                    Gumby, or someone dressed like the iconic television character, attempted to hold up a California convenience store. Trying to keep the Gumby costume on and robbing the store at the same time proved to be too much for the would-be criminal.
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Must have been some really, really good weed.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

what an awesome idea.ha

Comment

This is probably one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. He definitely gets the most creative in costumes for attempted armed robbery. :lol

If I were the clerk, I would do the same because for me it seems that the scenario was actually alike from those gag shows at the television. When I have read this here: Gumby tries to rob a 7 Eleven store in San Diego, at first I reacted that it seems they actually intended to do some fun. But the police are exactly right to take that incident seriously because it might happen again. We could not foresee our future and it is better to take some actions before we say its too late.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinF View Post
                            This is probably one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. He definitely gets the most creative in costumes for attempted armed robbery. :lol

If I were the clerk, I would do the same because for me it seems that the scenario was actually alike from those gag shows at the television. When I have read this here: Gumby tries to rob a 7 Eleven store in San Diego, at first I reacted that it seems they actually intended to do some fun. But the police are exactly right to take that incident seriously because it might happen again. We could not foresee our future and it is better to take some actions before we say its too late.
                            I question your proposed identity. You write like a foreigner who is trying too hard, and your stock-photo avatar isn't fooling anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              I question your proposed identity. You write like a foreigner who is trying too hard, and your stock-photo avatar isn't fooling anyone.
                              You're right, he does sound english.

Comment

Working...
                              X