Frame up build - '55 F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame up build - '55 F100

A family friend has offered a shortbed 1955 F100 roller to me in lieu of some IT work for $250.

Its on jackstands now, but frame is straight, no rust except for some minor surface rust on the cab and roof. No tailgate, no grill/bumper, but all other panels intact and in good condition. No engine/trans either (roller) and no interior whatsoever.

This sounds so intriguing, i'd love to chop the roof, drop it about 5-6 inches and throw a 5.0 into it, so i can see this would be a big project to get into.

Has anyone got any experiance with e old F100's and can give me a realistic assessment of whats potentially in store for me besides not having access to my garge for the next few years and eating pb&j for the next 10 years?

I havent decided what to do yet, but this is what i'd love it to look like:

Comment

Fuck yeah!
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've got a 56, and it's pretty much in line with any other restoration as far as time and money commitment. I'm close to $20K in parts and materials, an uncountable number of hours into it and still need paint and full assembly. That's about what a complete resto costs though. It'll probably take another 6-8K to finish it, and that's with a pretty reasonably priced paint job.

There's been a lot of smoothing and fabrication put into the body (welded up over 125 holes, shaved antenna and fuel filler, and some other stuff I'm forgetting), but a top chop is a pretty tall order. I bet a cut-down windshield costs a pretty penny.

It's not my first hot rod build, but it has been a challenge. I ran out of spare time, drive, and got tired of pouring money into it. If I sold it now, I'd lose my ass as far as an investment goes (but I would if I could anyway, I think). Or, I find the life force to finish it and have one hell of a classic truck that I can sell, make a small profit on, if any.

It would be different if this was a dream build for me, but that was the '66 Mustang, which I drove today. One hot rod is enough. A second one that my heart isn't really in has proven to be a bit of a beating.

Fern likes it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

If I sold it now, I'd lose my ass as far as an investment goes (but I would if I could anyway, I think). Or, I find the life force to finish it and have one hell of a classic truck that I can sell, make a small profit on, if any.

This. Take any time estimate, double it. Money, triple. Cool old truck, the big pieces aren't hard, it's the small stuff that will get you. Just my .02

Comment

Both Blake and Fitzwell have good points, and if you don't absolutely love it, you regret starting it and sell it for a loss to recover ur garage.

My 2 cents.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Thats the real catch, i dont have a deep down love for old trucks other than i think they can be made to look really cool. My worst fear is i would lose intrest in it quickly. Kinda like scratching an itch thats not there. Maybe later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                Thats the real catch, i dont have a deep down love for old trucks other than i think they can be made to look really cool. My worst fear is i would lose intrest in it quickly. Kinda like scratching an itch thats not there. Maybe later.
                Ill buy it from you... check your PM
                07 GT500
                05 SRT10
                88 turbocoupe T-bird
                93 Cobra
                86 coupe
                Ducati 848

Comment

You can pretty much count on completely re-wiring it with a new harness.

All the brake lines will have to be replaced. Add to that wheel cylinders, brake shoes, etc. IF the drums are usable, more than likely they'll have to be turned from sitting.

All the fuel lines will have to be replaced. Along with the tank, depending on what kind of shape it's in, if it's even still there.

Then comes all the suspension. Depending on whether you want to keep the straight axle, or clip it, you'll have to also look into ball joints, bushings, etc. If you keep the straight axle, most likely you'd have the have the holes for the king pins reamed and put new king pins in it. MAYBE the steering box won't be froze up.

All of the weather stripping will have to be replaced. Also, since you're talking about chopping the top, figure pulling the windshield and back window to put new seals on them after you have all new glass cut for it.

THEN you get to all the small, nickle and dime stuff that you make countless trips to the parts store for.

I'm sure I missed some things too. LOL !

-Aaron

Comment

Working...
                  X