What is up with these small shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is up with these small shops

What is up with these small shops that accept only a minimum of 10$ purchase with a debit or credit card... I walk in to a UPS store to ship something costing me like 5 or 6 dollars and I go to pull out my debit card and they say sorry sir we dont do anything under 10$. Isn't this illegal or something...

I know they have to pay fees to the merchant services, but if you are a business that is part of the business which is to accept debit cards with no fucking limits... I want to report this store to VISA or Mastercard or whoever they deal with..anyone else run into this inconvenient issue?

I've had that happen before. They don't have to take your business. Which is fine with me, because when they tell me "I haven't spent enough to use my debit card," I laugh and walk out and never go back. There is a thing called "The cost of doing business." Mostly I see it with foreigner owned places.

Comment

We accept them with no min at our place but we need one. The fees kill us.

Sent from my iPhone killer!
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

The fees they are being charged to run cards is causing many to do that

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I've had that happen before. They don't have to take your business. Which is fine with me, because when they tell me "I haven't spent enough to use my debit card," I laugh and walk out and never go back. There is a thing called "The cost of doing business." Mostly I see it with foreigner owned places.
          I also laugh and think how shitty the business is when I am the only one walking into the store to bring them business. Also not a lot of people walk around and carry cash, I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          We accept them with no min at our place but we need one. The fees kill us.

Sent from my iPhone killer!
          Yeah I understand the fees suck, but isn't that part of doing business with debit and credit cards? I mean either you take the cards or you don't even bother using cards at the business. And have a sign outside saying ONLY CASH or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
            What is up with these small shops that accept only a minimum of 10$ purchase with a debit or credit card... I walk in to a UPS store to ship something costing me like 5 or 6 dollars and I go to pull out my debit card and they say sorry sir we dont do anything under 10$. Isn't this illegal or something...

I know they have to pay fees to the merchant services, but if you are a business that is part of the business which is to accept debit cards with no fucking limits... I want to report this store to VISA or Mastercard or whoever they deal with..anyone else run into this inconvenient issue?
            It's their biz, if they don't want to lose money, they shouldn't have to. You really think VISA or MC cares about your opinion? lawl

Merchant cards are a PITA that often have a myriad of complicated fee scales. They way some are set up it would force the seller to give you the item at a loss.

It's some "bank" fucking them and they have to pass that fucking on to you.

AMERICA - FUCK YEAH!
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
              It's their biz, if they don't want to lose money, they shouldn't have to. You really think VISA or MC cares about your opinion? lawl
              Actually they do care because I have called about this and they will pull their services from that business.

Comment

Actually they do care because I have called about this and they will pull their services from that business.
                Not over a $5 purchase. Of course the card companies care, they want their percentage, regardless if the small business is losing money.

It's a small business, they obviously don't have the volume to accept such transctions, especially if most of their business is sub $10 purchases. It sucks, because it's shit like this that makes mom & pop places go under, and soon enough the only option will be the Walmarts of the world.

If something like this makes you never return, then you obviously don't care much about what they are offering.

Comment

You took the time to call some of the largest lenders in the world and worked your way down the series of member banks, and agents, to shut down mom&pop because they wouldn't take a loss on your bottle of yoo-hoo and a bag of funyuns?

What a rare combination of petty anger and loads of free time you have.
                  US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Cash is disappearing as a means of exchange. It is happening slowly, but working in retail you can definitely see a difference over ten years ago. I worked a full day on my counter once, went to count down the drawer and hadn't taken in a single cash transaction the entire day. We're talking probably 40-50 transactions. I was shocked. Every person I helped paid with some sort of card.

Comment

Cash is disappearing as a means of exchange. It is happening slowly, but working in retail you can definitely see a difference over ten years ago. I worked a full day on my counter once, went to count down the drawer and hadn't taken in a single cash transaction the entire day. We're talking probably 40-50 transactions. I was shocked. Every person I helped paid with some sort of card.
                      Which is why the fees of transactions on these cards are going up. I believe there was an article posted a while back on this same topic. I don't know if they did or not but I remember reading something.
                      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

tell em to charge u the 10 then file a dispute with the card saying they would only let you checkout if u bought enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                          tell em to charge u the 10 then file a dispute with the card saying they would only let you checkout if u bought enough.
                          Jesus Christ....
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Merchant fees are too high. The first discover card we take every month costs us $20. Usually, the discover card users seem to want a $2 part and then whip out that POS. Why don't you have a little cash on you anyway? Oh yeah, all those reward programs don't cost the banks anything they just kick a merchant in the balls with a higher fee every time they take a reward card. I try to get EVERYONE to pay with debit or cash.
                            Some large AMEX purchases have cost us as much as an amplifier in transaction fees. It is pretty hard to give away that amount of money just to take a card.
                            Last edited by EW; 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I just pay with rocks.
                              Originally posted by talisman
                              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                              Originally posted by AdamLX
                              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              Because fuck you, that's why
                              Originally posted by 80coupe
                              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                              Originally posted by Rick Modena
                              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                              Originally posted by Jester
                              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Working...
                              X