Savings %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
    Trying to sell the wife on the same idea. Got the dog and even offered to get another dog. Still isn't working.
    you make too much money... I plan on hitting my financial stride just after my wife gets to the age where it'll feel REALLY inconvenient to have a kid
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      you make too much money... I plan on hitting my financial stride just after my wife gets to the age where it'll feel REALLY inconvenient to have a kid
      Strategy... he has it!

Comment

Max 401K contributions and about 40% net household income goes into savings.

For a two person household, getting into a position to live off one (the lower) income makes it very easy to accomplish.

Comment

not nearly enough. Trying to get rid of a car payment or 2 and then really hope to start putting some aside.
          2007 Silverado CC
          1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
            Max 401K contributions and about 40% net household income goes into savings.

For a two person household, getting into a position to live off one (the lower) income makes it very easy to accomplish.
            once we are 100% debt-free, our goal is to save 100% of the wife's income
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              Sound advice. Couple other good posts in here as well. I've edited my post...wasn't my objective to come across like a douche - but an unintended consequence.

Going forward, it's very true that most people don't have any clue how much they should be saving to reach their goals. What disturbs me is that many people don't have an idea how to even think about it. I posted this on the old board, maybe it's appropriate for this thread as well:

Here's something to get you thinking about retirement goals and how to get there (and why it's appropriate to think in $/cash flow terms instead of %).

These calculations can be done pretty easily on any financial calculator that performs time value of money calculations.

A. Calculate your retirement needs in first year of retirement (present dollars).

Use an annual inflation adjustment of 2.5% (or 3.5 or 5, just using 2.5% to show the math). Let's say you are currently 30 years old and plan to retire at age 60. You estimate that you will earn 10% a year on your investments until retirement. During retirement, you expect to earn 6% annually on your investments. You anticipate a 25% tax rate during retirement.

1. Say your annual need post-retirement is $60,000 in today's dollars.
              2. $60,000 with a 2.5% inflation rate for 30 years will be $125,854.
              3. Considering taxes, $125,854/(1-.25) = $167,805.

B. Calculate how much you need at retirement.

1. $167,805/(.06 - .025) = $4,794,429

C. Annual contribution to get you there.

1. $4,794,429(.10)/ (1.10)^30 -1 = $29,147 annual contribution for the next 30 years.
              By deducting the tax rate, you are essentially saying that you plan for 60K post tax, or over 80k pre tax dollars correct? Something that should go into calculating you needed income post retirement.

Comment

My savings is negative, but I roll clean. The weekly payments on the Escalade and monthly payments to rent-a-tire are killin' me though!
                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  I'm fucked... I started WAY too late, but I'm trying to catch up. I guess it also depends on your age at the time of retirement too since someone might be burning through it longer (not to mention those that live longer). It's thoughts like that, that make me think there will never be enough to put me in a comfort zone. I will never feel caught up, let alone ahead.

That's an awesome breakdown, though. Thanks Jody!
                  I put myself through college starting at age 23 - when I was 25/26 I started taking personal finance classes and calculating what I will need to retire how I want.

People in my family who make it to a natural death tend to live into their 90's. With advances in modern medicine I might live to be 100+. It's going to take me a stupid amount of money to retire properly.

I'm going to be a crotchety old slum-lord when I "retire."
                  US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                    My savings is negative, but I roll clean. The weekly payments on the Escalade and monthly payments to rent-a-tire are killin' me though!
                    LOL that's awesome.

Comment

Max($16,500) into retirement account and I probably save about 40-50% of what I net and been debt free for years.
                      Food is my biggest cost factor!

Comment

With both my wife and my pension plans if we where 60 today and retired we would collect right at 9k a month in benefits. I also contribute to a non matching 401k and save every extra penny I can scrap up which adds up to about $2,500 a month on average.

Comment

I am unsubscribing to this thread.
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I'm in agreement with BroncoJohnny on this one...I take full advantage of employer options through 401K and matching, and our ESPP, but I don't stuff everything else into a savings acct. like the older generations swore by. I do put some in there, but I also keep a decent amount of cash available that is used to buy & sell....I'm always looking for something to buy and flip for a profit, and generally have a number owned assets (not financed) on-hand at any given time....things that will sell quick if the need were to arise.
                            70' Chevelle RagTop
                            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Use an annual inflation adjustment of 2.5% (or 3.5 or 5, just using 2.5% to show the math). Let's say you are currently 30 years old and plan to retire at age 60. You estimate that you will earn 10% a year on your investments until retirement. During retirement, you expect to earn 6% annually on your investments. You anticipate a 25% tax rate during retirement.

1. $4,794,429(.10)/ (1.10)^30 -1 = $29,147 annual contribution for the next 30 years.
                              wow

edit: I have a little under 2 years salary saved, but holy fuck I can't imagine saving 30k a year at my current rate. (which took me close to 7 years to save)

Comment

Sound advice. Couple other good posts in here as well. I've edited my post...wasn't my objective to come across like a douche - but an unintended consequence.

Going forward, it's very true that most people don't have any clue how much they should be saving to reach their goals. What disturbs me is that many people don't have an idea how to even think about it. I posted this on the old board, maybe it's appropriate for this thread as well:

Here's something to get you thinking about retirement goals and how to get there (and why it's appropriate to think in $/cash flow terms instead of %).

These calculations can be done pretty easily on any financial calculator that performs time value of money calculations.

A. Calculate your retirement needs in first year of retirement (present dollars).

I know you are dumbing down the calculation to prove a point, but you're assuming that you aren't touching the principal once you retire. I'm not leaving my kids $5m when I croak lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X