wireless electricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron View Post
    T add to that, power is lost going from DC to AC. DC would cost less to provide, comparably.
    your alternator on your car makes ac power that's why there are diodes in the voltage regulator (ripple test) to stop -V

Comment

Originally posted by psdtech View Post
      couldn't get any thing going? Like the Niagara falls the first hydro-electric power plant. Not trying to start a pissing contest I just think the two of them where in it for opposite reasons. Edison was going to make profits on his inventions and Tesla just wanted to better the world with his. Its hard to get big backing when theres no return on investment
      What I mean by getting anything going, I was referring to wireless electricity. I know Tesla was successful in other ventures.

And you are right, non-profit technology just won't work for big business. Money always comes before doing the right thing.

Maybe someone needs to find Tesla's death ray blue prints and take out some of these companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
        Tesla had it right but politics and Edison kept him down. If we would have followed the path of genius we would probably be in a different place today.

Comment

Comment

damn, beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
              Brain cancer is dramatically on the rise, and we want to encourage it?
              Wireless phones, radio, TV, GPS, XM/Sirruis, etc...what's one more high level radio band...

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              T add to that, power is lost going from DC to AC. DC would cost less to provide, comparably.
              No, DC is HORRIBLE for transmission. The power lines would be incredibly large to go long distances or we'd have to have a lot more power plants.

Not to mention safety...if you got hit with a higher voltage DC, you're done. At least with AC, as it fluctuates, it allows you to flop around and break free. DC locks you in.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

here's a neat article on the subject: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...tml?page=0%2C0

Originally posted by psdtech View Post
                I'm not sure anyone held Tesla down. We use A/C power and radio controls everywhere. The difference is Tesla gave away all his patents and chose not to profit off them where Edison made some money. From what i understand wireless electricity would not work well due to air is a very poor conductor (and unpredictable see lightning) there is just too much energy wasted in transmission to be economical same reason we didn't use DC power for our homes.
                Air is as close to a vacuum as it gets. Vacuum is the standard by which insulators are numerically compared, and is the best known insulator. But that's not that important with wireless electricity. They will operate on magnetic fields and Electromagnetic radiation induced through electric currents. Vacuums (and air) have magnetic permeability that neither enhances, nor impedes electromagnetic field strength.

The technology in the cellphone mats is really primitive (19th century), but the mats never really served a practical purpose until now. Before everyone had tons of portable electronic devices, what would anyone charge? We were talking about making them in my EM classes at UTA, actually.

The EM radiation seems possible, but I question just how much power can be transmitted safely. There are definite limits to how much EM radiation is tolerable. This is also not a new concept. It's fundamentally not much different than old crystal radios which never needed to be powered - but technology has probably advanced so far that enough energy might be captured to charge devices now.

The third thing discussed in the article doesn't surprise me - magnetic resonance. I've wondered about this from time to time, but never really looked into it.

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                "There will be blood..."
                Great movie, I just saw it a few days ago.

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                Wireless phones, radio, TV, GPS, XM/Sirruis, etc...what's one more high level radio band...

No, DC is HORRIBLE for transmission. The power lines would be incredibly large to go long distances or we'd have to have a lot more power plants.

Not to mention safety...if you got hit with a higher voltage DC, you're done. At least with AC, as it fluctuates, it allows you to flop around and break free. DC locks you in.
                Doesn't matter, both will still rock your world. Especially high voltage AC. But neither as much as AC/DC.

DC is poor for long distance power transmission. High voltage AC provides much less transmission line loss. The higher the voltage, the better.

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                Brain cancer is dramatically on the rise, and we want to encourage it?
                I'm not sure that magnetic fields are of any concern. Electromagnetic radiation, perhaps, but I imagine the technology that takes off will really only propogate magnetic fields with devices capable of having a charge induced if they are oriented and tuned properly.
                Men have become the tools of their tools.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                  Doesn't matter, both will still rock your world. Especially high voltage AC. But neither as much as AC/DC.

DC is poor for long distance power transmission. High voltage AC provides much less transmission line loss. The higher the voltage, the better.
                  Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that since AC goes back & fro, that's what gives you a chance to let go...like when you get popped at 120 or 240. DC will contract your muscles and never let go.

Higher voltages overall, like power lines, you're done...doesn't matter which "type" of voltage.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                    Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that since AC goes back & fro, that's what gives you a chance to let go...like when you get popped at 120 or 240. DC will contract your muscles and never let go.

Higher voltages overall, like power lines, you're done...doesn't matter which "type" of voltage.
                    Ac isn't used for safety. It's simply because it's easy to transform and transmit. Generate, transform up, transmit, transform down, and connect to the end user.

Btw, look up the voltage of a stun gun or a taser. FYI, it takes about 5 thousandths of an ampere to kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                      Ac isn't used for safety. It's simply because it's easy to transform and transmit. Generate, transform up, transmit, transform down, and connect to the end user.

Btw, look up the voltage of a stun gun or a taser. FYI, it takes about 5 thousandths of an ampere to kill someone.
                      This. Voltage doesn't kill, amperage does. Your standard static shock is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 volts, but next to no amperage.

Comment

Bunch of nerds up in here.
                        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X