• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless electricity

Can we haz it mainstream soon?

Sounds like a good way to fry yourself.

Comment

Brain cancer is dramatically on the rise, and we want to encourage it?

Comment

Tesla had it right but politics and Edison kept him down. If we would have followed the path of genius we would probably be in a different place today.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
          Tesla had it right but politics and Edison kept him down. If we would have followed the path of genius we would probably be in a different place today.
          Tesla was the man. That guy was unbelievable. I never thought about the cancerous affects of it. I wonder if they have done any tests to see what kind of effects on the body it would have.

I know that one of the phone companies had a phone that charged wirelessly. I will have to look it up since it has been so long since I saw the story.

Just imagine the world though. You wouldn't need to relocate plugs in your house. You could place electronic items where ever you wanted. I think it would be kick ass.
          Last edited by mstng86; 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
            JP Morgan was his backer and when Morgan realized all his futures in copper would be useless, he yanked all his funding. Sorry bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Just imagine the world though. You wouldn't need to relocate plugs in your house. You could place electronic items where ever you wanted. I think it would be kick ass.

Think bigger.

How about electric cars that could run indefinitely without needing to recharge. Trains that could do the same...

You could pretty much relegate the internal combustion engine to history books.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                Think bigger.

How about electric cars that could run indefinitely without needing to recharge. Trains that could do the same...

You could pretty much relegate the internal combustion engine to history books.
                As long as oil is such a large commodity, it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                  As long as oil is such a large commodity, it won't happen.
                  Someone will find a way to make a profit on it and beat the oil companies. No telling who though. Probably another huge company that can't be stopped or influenced by the oil companies.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone held Tesla down. We use A/C power and radio controls everywhere. The difference is Tesla gave away all his patents and chose not to profit off them where Edison made some money. From what i understand wireless electricity would not work well due to air is a very poor conductor (and unpredictable see lightning) there is just too much energy wasted in transmission to be economical same reason we didn't use DC power for our homes.

Comment

Someone will find a way to make a profit on it and beat the oil companies. No telling who though. Probably another huge company that can't be stopped or influenced by the oil companies.
                      "There will be blood..."

Comment

Originally posted by psdtech View Post
                        I'm not sure anyone held Tesla down. We use A/C power and radio controls everywhere. The difference is Tesla gave away all his patents and chose not to profit off them where Edison made some money. From what i understand wireless electricity would not work well due to air is a very poor conductor (and unpredictable see lightning) there is just too much energy wasted in transmission to be economical same reason we didn't use DC power for our homes.
                        No, Edison had alot to do with why Tesla couldn't get anything going. He had the money and power behind him to thwart some of Tesla's research. If it was Edisons choice, we would all be running on DC still.

Comment

Almost here actually. There was an article about a year ago where they were going to release the technology. The first step was the inductive charging mats like the ones you can buy at best buy. You just put your cell phone on it and it charges up. The second phase was a wireless power source where you plug the transmitter into a wall outlet and the receiver into your device. It only worked within the same room, it has limited range. I forget what the third stage of it was but I'm sure someone can find the article. It mentioned that someone had finally figured out how to transmit small amounts of power without having lightning bolts through the air like Tesla lol.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

No, Edison had alot to do with why Tesla couldn't get anything going. He had the money and power behind him to thwart some of Tesla's research. If it was Edisons choice, we would all be running on DC still.
                            T add to that, power is lost going from DC to AC. DC would cost less to provide, comparably.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

couldn't get any thing going? Like the Niagara falls the first hydro-electric power plant. Not trying to start a pissing contest I just think the two of them where in it for opposite reasons. Edison was going to make profits on his inventions and Tesla just wanted to better the world with his. Its hard to get big backing when theres no return on investment

Comment

Working...
                              X