No announcement yet.

First day back to school, teacher sends homework home for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife taught in a low socioeconomic school for several years and is now a counselor at another. The information requested doesn't seem out of line to me. Maybe the 10 question "quiz" example would have been better. But, you probably would have complained that the teacher sent a test home. The fact is that when teachers assign homework there are kids with parents that cannot do the work, GRADE SCHOOL kids! Be happy that the teacher is asking for you to be involved in your kid's education. It truly amazes me that you are so offended by the letter.

Standardized testing is killing the education system in my opinion. I'm sorry but every child does not learn at the same pace. Every child does not have the same IQ. We cannot expect every child to pass every test they are given. Unless you water down the curriculum to the lowest common denominator. We are not all astrophysicists and most never will be. I know it feels good to say every child has the same mental abilities, but it's just not true. Teach to the child, not the test.
    2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

• Originally posted by stevo View Post
      I would have. But sending parents a homework assignment with a due date for turn in strikes me wrong. I guess it is just me.

Stevo
      I guess I just read it differently (the due date). I don't take it as an assignment...I guess she has to put a date or she would still be getting stuff in May of next year.

Right now, the best advice I could give you is to be glad she is at least interested in the kiddos....cause I don't think ours is in the least. We shall see though cause I will not take anything less than her best with my son. I give her two weeks and if I don't see something impressive....I am going in to get him reassigned....cause I am just bitchy like that....

Comment

• Originally posted by JamisonFRC View Post
        Standardized testing is killing the education system in my opinion. I'm sorry but every child does not learn at the same pace. Every child does not have the same IQ. We cannot expect every child to pass every test they are given. Unless you water down the curriculum to the lowest common denominator. We are not all astrophysicists and most never will be. I know it feels good to say every child has the same mental abilities, but it's just not true. Teach to the child, not the test.
        Mother fucking THIS!!!
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
        X