First day back to school, teacher sends homework home for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevo View Post
    SO, I guess you can list everything mentioned in the letter about one of your 35 students from last year?
    Actually, I could. I could tell you what motivated them, where they worked, what they did in their spare time, what hobbies they were into, when they didn't take their meds, when they didn't eat, when their parents had a big fight, when their other parent didn't pick them up for visitation, when they were going to a concert, what subjects they liked most, their favorite foods, colors and friends, etc. Yes, that's kinda what we do.

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    I am sorry this has you so asshurt, but like it or not every teacher isn't a good teacher, hell yourself was mentioned just a few weeks ago about how many teachers have entered the school systems recently that are only in it for the money, only to find out how bad they suck at teaching. Your blind defense of teachers in whole has you sounding like a certain officer that rushes into every FTP thread...
    I am not butthurt about this particular instance. There are bad teachers out there, you're right. Show me where I stated that I was just in this for the money. Please. I believe what I said is that there was a rush of people from the corporate world who were laid off and thought they would go into teaching because 'anyone can do that'. I can see your point about the FTP thread comparison, but I also already stated that this does not apply to the teachers who don't give a shit and that there are bad teachers out there. I'm just saying don't automatically jump to the conclusion that this teacher is in that category because she asked for some help from you, the parent, in expediting the 'getting to know you' process.

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    I said it isn't the teachers place to judge the education of parents as it shouldn't have any bearing on HOW she teachers the child.

Stevo
    And as I said before-whether you think it is or not, the education of the parents WILL and DOES affect HOW she teaches the child. Read my post in case you missed it.
    Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
    Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
    Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
    You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

SO, I guess you can list everything mentioned in the letter about one of your 35 students from last year?

I am sorry this has you so asshurt, but like it or not every teacher isn't a good teacher, hell yourself was mentioned just a few weeks ago about how many teachers have entered the school systems recently that are only in it for the money, only to find out how bad they suck at teaching. Your blind defense of teachers in whole has you sounding like a certain officer that rushes into every FTP thread...

Stevo
      I thought class sizes in TX were limited to 23 students? Also, people enter into teaching for the easy college route... not for the money.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Leah View Post
        Actually, I could. I could tell you what motivated them, where they worked, what they did in their spare time, what hobbies they were into, when they didn't take their meds, when they didn't eat, when their parents had a big fight, when their other parent didn't pick them up for visitation, when they were going to a concert, what subjects they liked most, their favorite foods, colors and friends, etc. Yes, that's kinda what we do.

I am not butthurt about this particular instance. There are bad teachers out there, you're right. Show me where I stated that I was just in this for the money. Please. I believe what I said is that there was a rush of people from the corporate world who were laid off and thought they would go into teaching because 'anyone can do that'. I can see your point about the FTP thread comparison, but I also already stated that this does not apply to the teachers who don't give a shit and that there are bad teachers out there. I'm just saying don't automatically jump to the conclusion that this teacher is in that category because she asked for some help from you, the parent, in expediting the 'getting to know you' process.

And as I said before-whether you think it is or not, the education of the parents WILL and DOES affect HOW she teaches the child. Read my post in case you missed it.
        I am pretty confident you are not in it for the money, and hope my post didn't sound that way, just wanted to mention not all teachers are there to help children.

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
        I thought class sizes in TX were limited to 23 students? Also, people enter into teaching for the easy college route... not for the money.
        The way they are doing it this year is the students will be going to two different class blocks, part of the week with one teacher, the rest with another, so she has to keep track of basically two classrooms full of students. The '35' number was just a rough number, I guess it can be as high as 46.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

• Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
          They can get exemptions for larger class sizes. A friend of mine has 29 in her class today.

Comment

My wife just got home from picking up our kids on their first day to school, and finds a note from one of the teachers that tells us (the parents) to write an essay describing our child to be turned in by Wednesday. I had to check it myself, and sure enough it isn't for the kid to do, it is for the parents. Seriously, wtf?

I think I am going to send a note to her saying that I'll need an essay from her describing herself to us first.

Stevo
            I think it's being taken a bit too seriously Stevo.

I'm sure all the teacher would like to know in said 'essay', are a few details about your child so that the teacher can get to know the child. There's nothing wrong with saying that your kid is a bit shy, but otherwise playful, or that your child loves dinosaurs and baseball.

This sort of exercise helps her to familiarize herself with the classroom as a whole and per student. This can also help her to select what sort of grab bag goodies, or after school rewards she can hand out to deserving students.
            Originally posted by Vertnut
            I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

• I'm not reading the entire thread, so if it's in here already, I apologize. Those that can't do, teach. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Lea!

That said, I don't see the issue at all. Anything I can do to help the person providing an education for my child, I will. That might include a letter, helping with homework, trying to teach material in a different way than the teacher does, etc. I'm not one to blame a teacher for a kid's failure to learn. In most instances, it's just as much, if not more the parent's fault for not being involved. That's not to say that there aren't shitty teachers out there. Lord knows I have plenty. I also place a lot of blame on politicians, and the whole "No child left behind" nonsense. I'd like to know the thought process behind that whole idea.

As for public vs private - Every school is different, obviously. But most private schools do provide more in depth, and a higher level of education than public. That's why most private school kids are more advanced. Then they get to public school, where they have already learned the material the public school is covering, lose interest, get bored, then cause trouble. Leah - You can't compare what was going on when you were in school, to what is going on now. Back then, No Child Left Behind didn't exist. And that was the very beginning of standardized testing, which is a complete and total failure.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• ok, so I have a question....would you take this better if it would have come on a cute little page with a list of 10 questions to fill out and send back in?

This is what they did for our son. It is basically the same thing. Just in a blanket form. It asks all those things and she requests that it come back on Thursday. She did not give us a due date. However, it was in the packet of information that was to be returned before our son can do much of anything (computer, library, etc.).

I don't know....it just seems like you are reading wayyyyyyyy too much into this "request" then what you should.....It is your kid. She wants to know more to make the kids comfortable......

Our 2nd grade teacher is an airhead. She did not have her classroom set up. No supplies list (you know...the extra one they always send home on top of the one that the district sends out). No labels on desks, cubby holes, hooks....But I did have to provide her with expo markers (brand specific in her letter!) and other "necessities" for the classroom that should be in her budget...not outta mine.

Comment

• Stevo has made over a dozen posts in this thread bitching and complaining about writing a simple essay about the most important thing in his life. Meanwhile, he could already had it done in the time it took to complain about it here on the board and helped the teacher who is only trying to help his child.

This to me says two things -

1) DFWM is more important to him than his kid.

2) Stevo must be worried about the essay being graded by the teacher because he knows he's a fucking idiot.

Geezus, just write the damn essay, it's to help your kid for crying outloud.

Comment

• Originally posted by centexchick View Post
                    ok, so I have a question....would you take this better if it would have come on a cute little page with a list of 10 questions to fill out and send back in?

This is what they did for our son. It is basically the same thing. Just in a blanket form. It asks all those things and she requests that it come back on Thursday. She did not give us a due date. However, it was in the packet of information that was to be returned before our son can do much of anything (computer, library, etc.).
                    I would have. But sending parents a homework assignment with a due date for turn in strikes me wrong. I guess it is just me.

Stevo
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Stevo has made over a dozen posts in this thread bitching and complaining about writing a simple essay about the most important thing in his life. Meanwhile, he could already had it done in the time it took to complain about it here on the board and helped the teacher who is only trying to help his child.

This to me says two things -

1) DFWM is more important to him than his kid.

2) Stevo must be worried about the essay being graded by the teacher because he knows he's a fucking idiot.

Geezus, just write the damn essay, it's to help your kid for crying outloud.
                      Go fuck your mother.

Stevo

Comment

I would have. But sending parents a homework assignment with a due date for turn in strikes me wrong. I guess it is just me.

Stevo
                        Look at it this way. You would be setting an example for your kid to understand the importance of doing your homework. Your kid will see it is serious stuff because even daddy does it.

Comment

Go fuck your mother.

Stevo
                          That's trademark infringement mister! You owe me money now! lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            That's trademark infringement mister! You owe me money now! lol.
                            I'll send it through paypal, as soon as you finish making me that sandwich.

Stevo

Comment

I'll send it through paypal, as soon as you finish making me that sandwich.

Stevo
                              Don't try that bold face lie to all these fine spectators in trying to make them believe you would only eat one sandwhich you fat bastard.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Leah - You can't compare what was going on when you were in school, to what is going on now. Back then, No Child Left Behind didn't exist. And that was the very beginning of standardized testing, which is a complete and total failure.
                                It has been a while, sadly. I will at least give consideration to that as it is a solid point.
                                Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                                Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                                Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                                You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Working...
                                X