Electric Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Rates

I'm up for renewal after this month. After looking at www.powertochoose.org, it seems all the variable rate plans are much lower than the fixed rate plans. In the 4.5 to 6 cent/kWh range for variable rate plans. I've always done fixed rate, so I wouldn't get screwed. This is less than half of what I'm paying right now in a fixed rate plan, with Reliant. Currently locked in at 10.2 cents/kWh. The first few variable rates I looked at had no monthly fee, and no early termination. Seems like a good way to cut the bill down for a while at least.

How often do the rates fluctuate? On paper, it sure seems worth it. But in reality, I've never been on a variable rate plan, and I don't want to get bent over with no lube.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

One major 'cane in the gulf could change variable rates virtually overnight. Other than that they do look like a much better deal, but I've never gone with anything less than a one year contract.

Comment

I've been on a variable rate with Southwest Power and Light for 2 years now and it has always stayed lower than what the fixed rates were when I signed up.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
        I've been on a variable rate with Southwest Power and Light for 2 years now and it has always stayed lower than what the fixed rates were when I signed up.
        Good to know. I need some more feedback, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          I'm up for renewal after this month. After looking at www.powertochoose.org, it seems all the variable rate plans are much lower than the fixed rate plans. In the 4.5 to 6 cent/kWh range for variable rate plans. I've always done fixed rate, so I wouldn't get screwed. This is less than half of what I'm paying right now in a fixed rate plan, with Reliant. Currently locked in at 10.2 cents/kWh. The first few variable rates I looked at had no monthly fee, and no early termination. Seems like a good way to cut the bill down for a while at least.

How often do the rates fluctuate? On paper, it sure seems worth it. But in reality, I've never been on a variable rate plan, and I don't want to get bent over with no lube.
          My variable rate customers are getting very high bills this month, from the spike in prices the first week of august. Saw one today for 15 cents and one for 18 cents. You are always gambling on those. You should be able to get something in the 8 cent range fixed right now, I would do that.

Comment

If you are living alone, and can control your electricity consumption fairly easilly, do it.

If you have 3 kids, and a wife constantly running the ac, dishwasher, and washer/dryer, don't.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
              Have you received a bill that included 8/1 - 8/5 yet? If not, get ready.

Comment

I have always used fixed rates, just locked in at 8.1 which is alot better than the 11.2 I had for the past 2 years.
                2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                Speedlogix Catch Can
                Resonator Delete

Comment

Do the quoted rates include fuel surcharges? The fuel surcharges on our bills are more than the actual usage.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    Have you received a bill that included 8/1 - 8/5 yet? If not, get ready.
                    Then why would current rates still show to be 4.5-6 cents/kWhr?

I can get 8 cents fixed, but I'm going to have to switch providers to do so. Reliant is offering 8.something to new customers, but the best they are offering me is 10.9.

BTW - Where is Nate? Lying sack of shit. "Your bill won't go up when you get the new meters." Am I supposed to believe that I used 1400 more kWh this year, than the same billing cycle from last year? When the amount of people living in my house was cut in half? Ridiculous. Reliant's about to get told to fuck off and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      My variable rate customers are getting very high bills this month, from the spike in prices the first week of august. Saw one today for 15 cents and one for 18 cents. You are always gambling on those. You should be able to get something in the 8 cent range fixed right now, I would do that.
                      My plan has a guarantee that the rates won't increase more than 15% in one month if I remember correctly, but I'll make sure to take a close look at this months bill. I have it on auto pay so unless the amount seems crazy I just glance at the bill and file it away.

Comment

I can get 8 cents fixed, but I'm going to have to switch providers to do so. Reliant is offering 8.something to new customers, but the best they are offering me is 10.9.

BTW - Where is Nate? Lying sack of shit. "Your bill won't go up when you get the new meters." Am I supposed to believe that I used 1400 more kWh this year, than the same billing cycle from last year? When the amount of people living in my house was cut in half? Ridiculous. Reliant's about to get told to fuck off and die.
                        In before Chili's long response.
                        Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                        Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                        Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                        You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

If it's the same house and you're trying to keep it the same temperature, then it very well could've been more considering the heat wave. The largest power draw has to be the A/C, and if it's trying to keep the house 72 degrees, it doesn't matter how many people are there -- unless it's like my house when neither the wife or kids can close the door all the way or quickly when they go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                            If it's the same house and you're trying to keep it the same temperature, then it very well could've been more considering the heat wave. The largest power draw has to be the A/C, and if it's trying to keep the house 72 degrees, it doesn't matter how many people are there -- unless it's like my house when neither the wife or kids can close the door all the way or quickly when they go outside.
                            To take that a step further, that's not the issue. Last year, I kept it a constant 72 degrees all day and night. This year, I set the programmable thermostat to run @ 80 degrees from 4am-4pm. At 4pm it steps down to 75, then down to 70 from 10pm-4am. Doors stay shut, lights stay off. Way more so now, than when there were 4 of us living here. Mainly because it's much easier to control now with only 2 of us there.

Comment

I personally won't go variable on any rates, whether mortgage, power, etc.
                              2 Chronicles 7:14
                              If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Working...
                              X