Vw gti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vw gti

Anyone know the general reliability of a GTI?

I drove one Saturday and was big time surprised. I love the almost instant torque it has.

I read on the GTI forums and not many complaints actually, but not sure if anyone here had first hand experience with one. Also if anyone can chime in on APR's products.

I drove a 2011 with the DSG tranny.

Keep up with general maintenance and they are pretty damn reliable.

Comment

IMHO they are the most reliable out of the Vdub's. When i worked for VW i rarely ever saw one come in with problems. So far with the prepaid maintenance you can't go wrong. BUT, when that is over, the DSG trans service is going to run you roughly $400.

Comment

I owned two GTI back in the day the VR6 version. Not a single problem.

The new GTI I really like the styling on them.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrjames View Post
          IMHO they are the most reliable out of the Vdub's. When i worked for VW i rarely ever saw one come in with problems. So far with the prepaid maintenance you can't go wrong. BUT, when that is over, the DSG trans service is going to run you roughly $400.
          I read on the wiki that they use special additives in that design?

Also the dealer (Autobahn) said they do the oil changes every 10k miles, said they use synthetic, I know synthetic will last that long but I am assuming they use a factory VW oil filter, do you know if this sounds safe?

I really dig the they do the maintenance part.

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
            I owned two GTI back in the day the VR6 version. Not a single problem.

The new GTI I really like the styling on them.
            Yeah I remember the VR6's back in the day, does VW plan on going the V6 route again?

I also dig the R32, Carmax has one for 24k right now.
            Last edited by ozzeran; 08-14-2011, 09:30 PM. Reason: Put an S in "R32"

Comment

I just bought a 2010 a few months ago. I love that little bastard. Fit and finish is great for the price. I have the dsg as well, kinda wish I went with the manual though, just because it's like a go cart and really fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
                I just bought a 2010 a few months ago. I love that little bastard. Fit and finish is great for the price. I have the dsg as well, kinda wish I went with the manual though, just because it's like a go cart and really fun to drive.
                What is your combined gas mileage on it right now?

Yeah I was really surprised, if you look at the HP/TQ on paper it's like wtf? But that little bitch was fun as heck.

Comment

I've had a VW(3used and 2new) for the last 10 yrs. Great cars IMO and the mods are pretty decent.

As far as APR goes...they are the Snap On of VAG tuning. high end R&D and high prices. There tunes are great and user friendly and have a great reputation. I recommend them, but there are several other tuning companies for the VW/Audi cars. Some mods are even interchangeable with Audi line. I ran the Audi TT KO4 turbo setup on my 2004 Jetta with the dual smic setup when I had it.

I have now 2008 Jetta 2.0t DSG with Unitronic Stg 1 tuning. its nothing fancy, no exterior mods. They do have tuning for the DSG and S-tronic cars.

As long as you keep up the routine maintenance you are fine. Now when it comes to the dsg service its not too bad to do it yourself. I have done mine. VW/Audi recommends Castrol Synthetic 5w-40 for there cars @ every 10K. I think the dsg service is 45K.

here are some site to check out both local and national

dfweuros.com

vwvortex.com

ecstuning.com

goapr.com

unitronic-chipped.com

hpamotorsports.com

tmtuning.com

oempl.us

eurosportacc.com

any more info just lmk. And i know several VW guys that turn wrenches as a side thing, and i can help if you wanna do any mods.

Comment

For fucks sake dude pick damned car and stick with it. Whats next a lamborgini?

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                      For fucks sake dude pick damned car and stick with it. Whats next a lamborgini?
                      Shut the fuck up you worthless waste of human flesh.
                      Originally posted by talisman
                      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                      Originally posted by AdamLX
                      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Because fuck you, that's why
                      Originally posted by 80coupe
                      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                      Originally posted by Rick Modena
                      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I've had my '10 GTI manual for a little over a year now, and it has been great. The only service items have been a software update for the TPMS, and a trim piece that broke. I got it flashed (APR stage 1) before it rolled over a thousand miles, and it is night and day between stock. The only other mods are Koni coilovers and a dieselgeek short sifter. The DSG's are strong and can handle the stage III setup just fine, the clutch in the manuals is good for stage II tunes. My only regret is not getting the 4 door, but I prefer the looks of the 2 door model. They aren't FAST, but they are fairly light, handle well, and have a nice torque curve that makes them feel a lot faster at normal speeds... for a fun DD it has been really nice. The DSG cars are a little faster and get better MPG's, but my left foot was bored

I can average low 20's with lots of city and a heavy foot but usually average around 27 with 60/40 city/highway and being a little aggressive. One a short road trip I was in the mid 30's.

Last edited by jakesford; 08-15-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                          Shut the fuck up you worthless waste of human flesh.
                          imma fuck you in the ass the next gtg i see you at!

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                            Yeah I remember the VR6's back in the day, does VW plan on going the V6 route again?

I also dig the R32, Carmax has one for 24k right now.

I wish they would bring back the VR6.

I luv the blue they used on the R32. Very nice car as well

Comment

Ive had a new 2007 2dr GTI manual and a used 2007 GLI manual. They were super reliable and great instant power! I also use to work as VW for 3-4 years. My only complaint is this... The DSG auto is awesome and instanteanious shiffing! But, they are extremely expensive to fix and prone to after-warranty breaks. WHen I was shopping for my GLI, I talked to my old co-workers at VW and the only advice that most would share was to stay away from DSG if its gunna be close to the end of the warranty. Other then that, I want another one!!! Maybe 4 dr this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X