Antidepression Medication Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepression Medication Question.

My wife was prescribed some over a year ago for job stress. Ended up giving her mini-seizures. A friend of hers was on some other stuff simular that was giving her mini-seizures around 3 times a day. She woke up on the floor one time with blood around her head.

So, this is what concerns me. Why do Doctors prescribe this and not notify the patient of the side effects? Or, that it's a slow process to quit using them and you can't quit cold turkey from taking them.

Wouldn't you think this is dangerous to be taking and not know the side effects? What if someone was driving or caring their baby around when something like this happens?

Originally posted by GT Fanatic View Post
    My wife was prescribed some over a year ago for job stress. Ended up giving her mini-seizures. A friend of hers was on some other stuff simular that was giving her mini-seizures around 3 times a day. She woke up on the floor one time with blood around her head.

So, this is what concerns me. Why do Doctors prescribe this and not notify the patient of the side effects? Or, that it's a slow process to quit using them and you can't quit cold turkey from taking them.

Wouldn't you think this is dangerous to be taking and not know the side effects? What if someone was driving or caring their baby around when something like this happens?
    I've been on them before and experiencing different side effects... Luckily my Drs always forewarned me of the side effects... Also the pharmacist should do a consult anytime a new medicine is given... As far as the weaning off part my Dr always had me cut back my dose for a week or two before switching... If you don't mind me asking what was she prescribed?

Comment

Originally posted by GT Fanatic View Post

This is why patient leaflets come with every prescription. The problem is that they don't read themselves, it's ultimately the patient's responsibility to read them. When you prescribe hundreds of different medications, it's difficult to remember every single potential side effect for every medication.

Comment

that sounds awesome. could i have a couple??

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
          This is why patient leaflets come with every prescription. The problem is that they don't read themselves, it's ultimately the patient's responsibility to read them. When you prescribe hundreds of different medications, it's difficult to remember every single potential side effect for every medication.
          x2

and any reputable pharmacy will have the pharmacist ask if you have ever taken the medication before and if you have any questions.

Everyone reacts different to medications. Your woman might be in the <1% category

Comment

My GF is a pharecutical consultant, you'd be suprised at some of the side effects some medications have, not only by themselves but sometimes if you mix a few together you'll get another set of side effects, it's crazy.
            Originally posted by Nash B.
            Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Was put on anti-depressant's once, never again. The end result is I ended up feeling numb and tired all the time...not for me. just worked my way thru it! I have had friends with strange issues after taking them.

Comment

First of all, that's a pretty broad stroke you're taking regarding anti-depressants. Exactly what drug was it and at what dose? Type:Tricyclic? SSRI? SNRI? What other medication was she taking? History? etc..

And most competent sawbones' will discuss possible side effects when prescribing you a drug such as this. And your pharmacy must be in the ghetto or off the grid. Every time I've ever picked a new Rx at my local CVS, the tech or Pharmacist will ask me if I have any questions about the drug. And at any time, you can ask the Pharmacist about any possible side effects. And attached to ever prescription is a patient information sheet. This contains a digest of all pertinent information regarding the drug. And ALL drugs in this class have container notice that says do not discontinue drug without consulting your physician.

Your problems are the result of your own ignorance. Sorry, but that's the truth. Don't be mean to be so austere, but uniformed statements like yours make people in, or formerly in, the medical field cringe.

Comment

I love my meds but I was given a choice of 3 and the side effects with each. Then again, took 7 years to find something that so far has been good on me.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                    First of all, that's a pretty broad stroke you're taking regarding anti-depressants. Exactly what drug was it and at what dose? Type:Tricyclic? SSRI? SNRI? What other medication was she taking? History? etc..

And most competent sawbones' will discuss possible side effects when prescribing you a drug such as this. And your pharmacy must be in the ghetto or off the grid. Every time I've ever picked a new Rx at my local CVS, the tech or Pharmacist will ask me if I have any questions about the drug. And at any time, you can ask the Pharmacist about any possible side effects. And attached to ever prescription is a patient information sheet. This contains a digest of all pertinent information regarding the drug. And ALL drugs in this class have container notice that says do not discontinue drug without consulting your physician.

Your problems are the result of your own ignorance. Sorry, but that's the truth. Don't be mean to be so austere, but uniformed statements like yours make people in, or formerly in, the medical field cringe.
                    I didnt cringe...not sure why you did. He has a valid complaint. We physicians do not do enough counseling patients on risks and benefits of medications. That's what pharmacists are for IMO...as well as their PCP. But, it is ultimately the patient's responsibility to understand what they are taking and why and be a part of the decision making process of what to do for their condition. Unfortunately, there are a lot of physicians out there that just knee-jerk prescribe meds and do not take into account the patient's current meds and social situation.
                    My guess is that she was probably on bupropion as it is a commonly prescribed drug that is known to precipitate seizure activity.

Comment

Working...
                    X