AC Question. Think I'm gettin Raped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
    I think its about 200 /300 a year. Its more than payed for itself in the past 10 years.

Edit: 450 a year
    I used to get mail from (I think) GE for similar home warranty coverage. If I had paid the premiums, which I think ran about the figure you quoted, I would have paid about $3000 by now. We have had an A/C evaporator coil replaced, the compressor hot start capacitor replaced twice, refrigerator defrost heater element replaced, and microwave magnetron tube replaced. The A/C coil, refrigerator defrost element, and microwave tube were all under warranty (parts only, not including labor). All told about $1000 in service calls.

So far I'm ahead cash-wish by not getting a warranty, but of course that could all change tomorrow. I do like being able to choose my own service company, which isn't an option with a warranty provider is it?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
      I used to get mail from (I think) GE for similar home warranty coverage. If I had paid the premiums, which I think ran about the figure you quoted, I would have paid about $3000 by now. We have had an A/C evaporator coil replaced, the compressor hot start capacitor replaced twice, refrigerator defrost heater element replaced, and microwave magnetron tube replaced. The A/C coil, refrigerator defrost element, and microwave tube were all under warranty (parts only, not including labor). All told about $1000 in service calls.

So far I'm ahead cash-wish by not getting a warranty, but of course that could all change tomorrow. I do like being able to choose my own service company, which isn't an option with a warranty provider is it?
      No, they choose who they want to do the service. I think the main advantage to not be out of pocket so much at one time. That and my house is close to 30 years old, so no warranties exist.
      Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        We have had an A/C evaporator coil replaced, the compressor hot start capacitor replaced twice, refrigerator defrost heater element replaced, and microwave magnetron tube replaced. The A/C coil, refrigerator defrost element, and microwave tube were all under warranty (parts only, not including labor). All told about $1000 in service calls.
        Damn do we have the same home builder or the same appliances. I have had almost the same issues, I built new and moved in Nov. 2000, in In early 2004 I signed a contract with AHS, since then they have replaced an entire A/C unit, upgraded to a 13 SEER (5-ton), they have replaced the compressor twice, the compressor in the second unit, new clothes washer, new microwave (magnetron went bad), new dishwasher, new freezer, fridge defrost element (twice) garage door motor and garage door spring.
        Its always been $50.00 @ month, but the last two years it went up to $60.00 a monthm well worth it to me...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

All GE appliiances, Carrier A/C.

Our house is about 7 years old.

Comment

We just closed on our house last Friday.... has 1 year with American Home, you have given something to look forward to...
            sigpic

Comment

My house came with 2 years of AHS when we bought it 6 years ago. I've continued to keep their service even after the freebie was up, simply because they've saved me money on several occasions. Nearly $1000 in garage door and motor repairs = $50. Replaced the heating element in my HVAC system = $60 (right after the deductible went up). Serviced the AC at the start of this year, added freon, replaced several small parts = $60.

I have heard horror stories from other people about their service, but until it happens to me personally, I'm keeping them.

Comment

Enter Autotek with his A/C smarts....
                2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                X