Hand Soap VS Hand sanitizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    lol what? It looks like you missed chemistry if you think soaps work because they have acids and a base. Mixing those two together is callen neutralization, and will only result in either of the two being weaker than it was previously.

I'm believe soap is basic...but could be wrong for a few cases.
    Soap will test basic but definitely has acids in it.

Soap is an alkali salt that is formed by the mixing of a base (lye) and an acid (oil/fat). The soap salts are both hydrophilic (binding) and hydrophobic (repelling) and that combo is what lets the hydrophobic acids come "stick" to the dirt (also hydrophobic), lets them get wrapped up in water molecues and then easily washed away.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      Soap will test basic but definitely has acids in it.

Soap is a salt that is formed by the mixing of a base (lye) and an acid (oil/fat). The mixing separates the fatty acids from the rest of the mix (triglycerides?) which then bind w/ the base to form the salts. The soap salts are both hydrophilic (binding) and hydrophobic (repelling) and that combo is what lets the hydrophobic acids come "stick" to the dirt (also hydrophobic), lets them get wrapped up in water molecues and then easily washed away.
      Check out the big brain on Brad...

I wash my hands about every hour or two. I cannot stand having any kind of grimey or dirty feeling on my hands. It's funny because I can be elbow deep in some greasy mess in the shop, and be happy as hell with it, but when we drive anywhere in the car for more than half an hour the first thing I do when I get out is wash my hands. PLus I keep a bottle of sanitizer everywhere, one in the truck, one in the wife's car, one in my hunting pack, one in the garage, one in the bathroom. I love soap, but it's not always handy.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
        You're kidding, right? Are you really that dense? Fatty acids and an alkali base = soap It's not rocket science.
        Specifying fatty acids makes a world of difference in this context. Yes soap is the
        Alkali salt of a fatty acid, glad you could at least look up what you're talking about. Knowing how dumb you are, one can only suspect failure.

And the fact remains, not all soaps are anti bacterial.

Comment

are motherfuckers arguing about soap? fucking soap????????

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            are motherfuckers arguing about soap? fucking soap????????

god bless.
            Yes, and I was led away from my original point by the retardS.

The most effective combination is to use both. Not all soap is antibacterial. The two have entirely different modes of action.

Comment

I use both...
              Originally posted by Da Prez
              Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
              Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

G'Day Mate

Comment

This is my point exactly. Doing both is the most effective because soap will not kill all of the bad stuff.
                  You'd be surprised how much warm water and soap takes down.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    You'd be surprised how much warm water and soap takes down.
                    Nearly all of it...nearly. Lol

Comment

Soap, hand sanitizer? Really? ....

If I use the restroom yes, I will wash my hands, but don't scurry around looking for both. If I am out and about and grab a bite to eat I don't worry about it.

I will cut the grass, get oil/gas on my hands and eat hamburgers as is. A little dirt isn't going to kill anyone. You know, a little dirt will help your immune system.
                      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                        You're kidding, right? Are you really that dense? Fatty acids and an alkali base = soap It's not rocket science.
                        Mr. Wikipedia strikes again!

Comment

Im one of the 4 tards that voted sanatizer. I voted before I read ur post Harrison. On Patrol, Im germ freak and use a the crap outa the sanitizer. Of course if I use the restroom, I use soap and water. Its actually quite sad how much dirt and gunk washes off your HANDS when you wash it with soap and water AFTER using sanitizer for several hours prior.

Comment

Herp Derp....
                            Whatever you say.

Comment

Germ-a-phobes crack me up

Comment

Working...
                              X