Police vs. cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
    You and I are on the same page when it come to this debate, but I believe we both know that if the Gestapo wants to to stop video taping it doesn't matter if you are on your property or whatever, they will do WHATEVER they want to, video or no video.
    Yup. And then worry about the consequences later.

It's sad, but true.

Comment

Someone help me out here: What states have "do not record" cop laws? i'im trying to find all of them, but kind of limited on research time.
      Maryland or Mass was one, weren't they?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        I wish I still had it..but several years ago Dallas PD stopped a suspected robbery suspect in front of Trees in Deep Ellum while Pimpadelic was letting out and as expected there was a huge crowd on the sidewalk. I was filming on the sidewalk with a camcorder and a Dallas cop approached me and told me to turn off the camera or he'd arrest me for interfering with a police investigation and for loitering. I wanted to tell him to fuck off but for my own safety decided not to.
        I love cameras.

However in this case YOU made the right decision I guess. Some cops like to show their authority even when they are idiots and have no clue. If he ignores you how are you interfering with anything? Now the loitering he could probably stretch if there were signs posted. Oh and the ass whooping you might have took might not have been worth it depending on if you got a fat check or not. LOL
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          Supervisors keep the keys to the video boxes. I'm not wasting 20 years for destroying evidence. If you think that, you are smoking crack.

Why protect a 3 year officer when I am only 5 years away from being elegible for retirement? He screwed up, not me.
          I believe you. I get the felling you're a respectful, level headed LEO. I don't think you would hang around here if you weren't. However, I've heard of plenty of cases where the tape "mysteriously" disappears when there was evidence against them.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
            I believe you. I get the felling you're a respectful, level headed LEO. I don't think you would hang around here if you weren't. However, I've heard of plenty of cases where the tape "mysteriously" disappears when there was evidence against them.
            I can tell you that stuff gets lost, genuinely lost, all the time.

We have literally hundreds upon hundreds of VCR tapes and the system sucks. It's a royal PITA when a DA or someone else (FOI request) asks for a tape that is 5 months old and you go to look for it and can't find it.

Comment

It's a royal PITA when a DA or someone else (FOI request) asks for a tape that is 5 months old and you go to look for it and can't find it.
              How convenient...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I can tell you that stuff gets lost, genuinely lost, all the time.

We have literally hundreds upon hundreds of VCR tapes and the system sucks. It's a royal PITA when a DA or someone else (FOI request) asks for a tape that is 5 months old and you go to look for it and can't find it.
                Time to upgrade the system! Hell Tanner's has a Harddrive that automatically uploads to a server when he parks at a certain spot at the station.

Comment

Supervisors keep the keys to the video boxes. I'm not wasting 20 years for destroying evidence. If you think that, you are smoking crack.

Why protect a 3 year officer when I am only 5 years away from being elegible for retirement? He screwed up, not me.

What type of locks are on the boxes?
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                    Time to upgrade the system! Hell Tanner's has a Harddrive that automatically uploads to a server when he parks at a certain spot at the station.
                    We went from video tapes four years ago to DVR's and I love it. Holy shit we hated changing tapes at night. I would like to say it was a supervisor only deal but we all knew how to do it very well. That shit is a nightmare to manage and gets screwed up easily. I have also seen many a tape get chewed up in the recorder or in a VCR. LOL We kept ours for 90 days if I remember correctly. Now we can tag a video and it will hang around till it is signed off on and gets written over. I think our storage goes out a little further now but can not remember the servers can only hold so much.

SVO ours were like the old coke machine locks and a real PITA.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

There should be zero expectation of privacy in public, that goes for either party being recorded. If you have dash cam I can have dash cam.

The guy that got jacked up in Vegas, screwed his deal up when he first told the cop he didn't live there when in actuality, he did. His mistake, but did not deserve the beating they tossed on him.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        How convenient...
                        I hate to tell you, but most of the time it's for traffic stops that end up in an arrest with dope. It usually helps the defendant.

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                        Trust me, I've been asking for years.

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                        What type of locks are on the boxes?
                        It's a locked VCR cabinet. I don't know what the lock type is.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          There should be zero expectation of privacy in public, that goes for either party being recorded. If you have dash cam I can have dash cam.

The guy that got jacked up in Vegas, screwed his deal up when he first told the cop he didn't live there when in actuality, he did. His mistake, but did not deserve the beating they tossed on him.
                          People tend to forget that the dude lied at first. It doesn't justify anything, but that whole incident is shady. From the overeggagerating sounds the guy made, to his his supposed injuries. I have seen instances where people fake injuries to bolster their cause. That's why we now take pictures of the people before we release them to jail. I've worked cases where the people get into jail, get tuned up by another prisoner, and then try to get $$$ out of the city by saying the arresting officer did it.

I can win an academy award off camera too.

Comment

People tend to forget that the dude lied at first. It doesn't justify anything, but that whole incident is shady. From the overeggagerating sounds the guy made, to his his supposed injuries. I have seen instances where people fake injuries to bolster their cause. That's why we now take pictures of the people before we release them to jail. I've worked cases where the people get into jail, get tuned up by another prisoner, and then try to get $$$ out of the city by saying the arresting officer did it.

I can win an academy award off camera too.
                            Ride along in September? Lets let some drunk chick off on a DUI. I will bring a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                              Ride along in September? Lets let some drunk chick off on a DUI. I will bring a camera.
                              You keep saying that and bailing on me. Like DiAnn has some magical powers that I don't have..

Comment

You keep saying that and bailing on me. Like DiAnn has some magical powers that I don't have..
                                My June trip was a little busy with the funeral and giving attention to that magical power she has.

Sept I have twice as much time on my hands. No real plans other than getting my patio built, working on the Cobra and trigger time.

Comment

Working...
                                X