X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Craigslist "Not Sure" Dilemma...

i posted a set of poker chips on craigslist. this guy responds with:

Hi,
    Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay you with money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment due to the fact that i am away for a family emergency.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra $20 just for you to keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name and address where payment should be sent,and a phone number where i can reach you.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.

Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards,
    Steven.

fwiw, his email addy looks pretty legit (stevenray36@gmail), but why is he so willing to pay first, then arrange for pickup? and why is he eager to pay $20 MORE than i am asking? sounds fishy. what do you think?

How much are you selling them for? Sounds like a scam either way though.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Just make sure it's a USPS money order.
      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Really?

Comment

lol scamming on poker chips now? Shit must be rough in Zimbabwe.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Scamola
            70' Chevelle RagTop
            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I would go thru with it if I had a P.O BOx. Cash Money Order somewhere besides my bank.

I would not give them your home address.
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

so just keep it posted recieve the money order, go cash it. If its legit give him the chips if not tell him it went through and beat his ass when he goes n gets them lol

Comment

the wording of the first sentence screams scam scam scam. In any case, US Postal money order is the only one I will accept. If you do get it, only cash it at the post office.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMCev View Post
                    i posted a set of poker chips on craigslist. this guy responds with:

Hi,
                    Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay you with money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment due to the fact that i am away for a family emergency.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra $20 just for you to keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name and address where payment should be sent,and a phone number where i can reach you.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.

Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards,
                    Steven.

fwiw, his email addy looks pretty legit (stevenray36@gmail), but why is he so willing to pay first, then arrange for pickup? and why is he eager to pay $20 MORE than i am asking? sounds fishy. what do you think?

I've highlighted everything that tells you it's a scam. Just use your head - does someone currently involved in a family emergency ask to pay $20 over asking price on a set of poker chips? come on...
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

you guys are right. it just threw me off because it is poker chips. i would expect it over a car or truck or bike, but poker chips? my asking price is $175, as the chips i am selling are pretty high quality. not paulson's, but nexgens. i left some wiggle room for hagglers. i will tell him to leave the money order blank and i will give him a fake name and the address to one of the family businesses. i damn sure ain't giving up any personal info. thanks guys...

Comment

you guys are right. it just threw me off because it is poker chips. i would expect it over a car or truck or bike, but poker chips? my asking price is $175, as the chips i am selling are pretty high quality. not paulson's, but nexgens. i left some wiggle room for hagglers. i will tell him to leave the money order blank and i will give him a fake name and the address to one of the family businesses. i damn sure ain't giving up any personal info. thanks guys...
                        why give a real address if you're going to provide a fake name?

Why not tell him to simply fuck off?
                        Originally posted by Vertnut
                        I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post
                          why give a real address if you're going to provide a fake name?

Why not tell him to simply fuck off?
                          on the slight chance that maybe it isn't a scam. maybe it is someone that is just really stupid.

Comment

on the slight chance that maybe it isn't a scam. maybe it is someone that is just really stupid.
                            It's first come, first served. The first person who comes in person, with cash in hand, is the person who gets it.

Comment

Scama scam scamola. Dude...seriously? I sell stuff on Craigslist all the time...and I have a policy......I sell for CASH.......and unless a mother fucker brings me a gold bar.....thats about the ONLY thing I will accept. Anyone with a pulse can get on Ebay and buy poker chips...and they can schedule it AROUND a family emergency. Fuckin scammers are really getting on my nerves....but the stupid fucks that fall for these scams fucking astound me with their naivety. Good god its 2011 and this shit has been going on for 20 years...when are people going to wake the fuck up (BTW I am not stating the OP is a dumbass or anything....I'm just ranting because this shit just keeps on happening).

Comment

Working...
                              X