5 NOPD cops convicted in 'Katrina bridge shooting' case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 NOPD cops convicted in 'Katrina bridge shooting' case

NEW ORLEANS — The federal case against five officers in the infamous Danziger Bridge incident is now over — at least pending appeal — with the jury finding guilty verdicts in a combined count of 25 civil rights violations. Following three days of deliberations, the verdict was read on Friday afternoon, August 5, 2011, just under six years after the incident took place on September 4, 2005.

A total of 20 current or former New Orleans police officers were charged last year in a series of federal probes, most of which were in relation to actions taken in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which plunged the city of New Orleans into a state of lawlessness and desperation.

Prosecutors had contended that the officers opened fire on an unarmed family, killing 17-year-old James Brissette and wounding four others. Minutes later, one of the officers shot and killed Ronald Madison, a 40-year-old man described by Justice officials as having severe mental disabilities.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who invited the Justice Department last year to conduct a thorough review of the police department, said the verdicts "provide significant closure to a dark chapter in our city's history."

Just a few bad apples, eh?

Comment

Are you a glutton for punishment or do you just get satisfaction out of arguing then telling everyone they are mean, rude, and jerks on the internet?
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

IBOtherSideOfTheStory
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Unfortunately, the police didn't police themselves and a mayor had to do it
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            Are you a glutton for punishment or do you just get satisfaction out of arguing then telling everyone they are mean, rude, and jerks on the internet?
            He is just wanting to try to spin this shit to say "OMG LOOK HOW MANY PAGES I MADE" as usual.

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I think he's trying to show that cops get convicted of things as well. I'll reserve judgment until sentencing takes place. Notice, that nowhere does it read they were convicted of murder, just civil rights violations.

whArz murder charges, crooked cops!? ¯\(º.O)/¯

Comment

I just found it intereresting they were convicted. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't try to say you think what I mean.

Comment

It'll be interesting seeing what the sentence is, pending how the automatic appeal goes beforehand.

Stevo
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

WTF? He's ridiculed for posting a typical ftp thread?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                      WTF? He's ridiculed for posting a typical ftp thread?
                      I don't see where anyone ridiculed him, the doc's post might be borderline, but I see no ridicule. Maybe you can quote it?

Stevo

Comment

Mine wasnt meant to ridicule...I am sure he knows that.

Comment

Glad I don't have to sit on that jury. They were justified in opening/returning fire but they shot the wrong guy, 7 times in the back. That alone points at the officer's intent. It's hard to call it anything but murder.

Comment

this knife i ordered on the internet jsut came in!!

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why is this considered a ftp thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X