garage and attic heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage and attic heat

My garage faces east and my attic entry is in the garage. Will it help release some heat from the house if i open the garage and open the attic door?

Heat rises, man.

Adding more ventilation at the roof peak would do you better. Insulating your garage door will help too, if you're keeping it closed.

Comment

Go to HD and get you a attic fan with a thermostat. Costs about $80. Don't get the solar ones, they don't move enough cfm. It will drop your attic temp by 20-30 degrees.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I dont have a attic entry in my garage, so I have cut a hole in the ceiling and installed a large vent cover. Kind of the same concept and it works.
        Photobucket

Comment

I may look at an attic fan. Half of the house is cool and the other is probably 80 degrees..

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            I may look at an attic fan. Half of the house is cool and the other is probably 80 degrees..
            Which half is cooler?

Comment

Put a fan in there. Easy to do, huge difference.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                Which half is cooler?
                The master and bed rooms on the west side of the house. The living room and kitchen on the east are pretty warm. Both rooms have a lot of Windows and the living room is a vaulted ceiling. I can actually feel warm air blowing when the ac kicks on after sitting a bit.

Oh and the tstat is in the hallway right where the hot rooms and cold rooms meet.
                Last edited by mstng86; 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Redneck it. Grap a old a/c unit blower and install it in the attic. Blow the hot air our the attic. Two thing, its loud and draws a lot of power.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    My garage faces east and my attic entry is in the garage. Will it help release some heat from the house if i open the garage and open the attic door?
                    To answer your question...yes! I have the same set-up and leave the attic access door open about 6". This draws cooler air into the attic from the garage and up through the roof turbines.

Lower attic temps = lower house temps.

Comment

sorry for hi-jacking but, this peaked my curiosity. my attic is hot as hell and the house's exterior rooms hardly get cold. i really want to install an attic fan tomorrow what kind to i need? my house hast the turbine globe things on the top now.

will this work? maybe 2 smaller ones? attic area is probably 1000 sqft.
                      Shop tools, appliances, building supplies, carpet, bathroom, lighting and more. Pros can take advantage of Pro offers, credit and business resources.

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
                        sorry for hi-jacking but, this peaked my curiosity. my attic is hot as hell and the house's exterior rooms hardly get cold. i really want to install an attic fan tomorrow what kind to i need? my house hast the turbine globe things on the top now.

will this work? maybe 2 smaller ones? attic area is probably 1000 sqft.
                        http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1#BVRRWidgetID
                        I had no idea what a Gable Vent was, but after searching that isn't meant for those globe vents.

I never really thought you could just cut a hole, and install over the shingles. This guy did it, but is that an ok way to install vents?

This install looks correct. Link
                        Last edited by big_tiger; 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                          I had no idea what a Gable Vent was, but after searching that isn't meant for those globe vents.

I never really thought you could just cut a hole, and install over the shingles. This guy did it, but is that an ok way to install vents?

This install looks correct. Link
                          i planned on taking the globe down and putting one of those covers over it. i guess i was wondering if they used the same size hole. i guess if they don't i can just make my own mounting bracket for the fan and install a cover over it.

Comment

probably going with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
                              i planned on taking the globe down and putting one of those covers over it. i guess i was wondering if they used the same size hole. i guess if they don't i can just make my own mounting bracket for the fan and install a cover over it.
                              Those vents aren't meant for the roof.

You want. This

Comment

Working...
                              X