Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay away from Hybrid anything !!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Leah View Post
    Just got a bug for something new and we definitely need more room so we started looking at these. I'm looking at a 2008 and they have it listed for $28k.

Anyone have personal experiences with the 2008? Any known issues/recalls? Also looking to see if people actually get the 21/24 mpg that Chevy says it gets.

Thanks
    It's the biggest gimmick in the whole car industry....plus when these things go out of warranty, the parts are outrageous and most average mechanics don't have the knowledge or resources to work on them.

Not much of the gas savings, and the bigger the vehicle the less the Hybrid section is used.

When I was at the NTTA, Chevrolet bought back two of the 2006 model Hybrid trucks due to the fact that the company who made the hybrid portion had gone out of business and parts were no longer available.

If you want a Suburban or Tahoe, just buy a normal gas engine model, or flex fuel, then you can burn E-85, which is another gimmick, cause when you burn E85 it takes twice as much fuel than regular E10.

Too much diminished value on the TL ???
    Last edited by prostock1; 08-07-2011, 09:07 AM.
    sigpic
    "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
    through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
    We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
    my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

You don't hear much about them for a reason. Real world mileage isn't that much better than the 5.3 cylinder deactivation models and they're quite a bit more expensive. I would recommend finding a 5.3 with the 6-speed automatic. 2WD for cheaper cost and mainenance, plus a little better fuel economy.

I have an '08 6.2 Denali and get about 16mpg in 60% highway driving, pretty aggressively, but I run premium. I had a new 5.3 Tahoe while I got some hail damage fixed and I averaged about 18mpg in that with mostly 80mph highway driving. So, a few mpg better on regular grade gas. It's not as fast as the 6.2, but the 5.3 is a great, smooth, quiet all around V8 engine that will run 200k+ miles with very minimal maintenance.
      Ford
      GM
      Toyota
      VAG

Comment

Originally posted by prostock1 View Post

Too much diminished value on the TL ???
        Thanks for all the info! This actually doesn't have anything to do with the TL, just got a bug for a bigger car.
        Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
        Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
        Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
        You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

wait just a little while longer you wont want a hybrid. some new technology is slowly gaining traction it wont be long.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
            What a lot of people dont know is that tech in the Tahoe is joint venture between GM, BMW and Honda (if I remember correctly).
            There's a point here, I can feel it...

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
              There's a point here, I can feel it...
              I think he's trying to say they don't use Toyota's synergy drive system. Since they have conventional transmissions instead of CVTs they can't use it. It's GM, Chrysler, Mercedes and BMW that jointly developed the setup. Honda's use a completely different system and can't accelerate on electricity alone at all.

The GM setup is basically a regular transmission but with an electric motor made into the bell housing. It drives the axles exactly like the engine running by itself would. It's not anywhere near as efficient as Toyota's but it's a lot cheaper to build and considerably heavier duty.

If you need an SUV I'd really look at the RX450h or Highlander hybrid, obviously they are smaller but still they are good for 28-30mpg under real world conditions. Or heck a mega cab Dodge with a Cummins can get 24 mpg unloaded and haul everything!

I wouldn't even consider anything VW ever if you plan on keeping it once the warranty is up. Any drivetrain related repairs will set you back $5000+. You might as well have a Porsche or twin turbo Audi, the parts all cost the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                IOr heck a mega cab Dodge with a Cummins can get 24 mpg unloaded and haul everything!
                on what planet?

50mph doesn't count!
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  on what planet?

50mph doesn't count!
                  My quad cab did it regularly on 70mph average trips to Oklahoma and Amarillo. All it had was camping gear and a 4 wheeler usually. Keep from rolling smoke out of them all the time and they do pretty good. Granted mine was a 5.9, no idea what the 6.7s do with all the emission junk.

Comment

it's absolutely a big deal with the heavy duty trucks... they have tons of turbo and DPF problems. they all go away when you get rid of all that shit.
                    As some one who drives a big truck they suck monkey nuts, I would never NEVER want one that was not a highway speeds 90% of the time. And don't get me started on DEF. Replacing the filter and or having it cleaned no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                      My quad cab did it regularly on 70mph average trips to Oklahoma and Amarillo. All it had was camping gear and a 4 wheeler usually. Keep from rolling smoke out of them all the time and they do pretty good. Granted mine was a 5.9, no idea what the 6.7s do with all the emission junk.
                      I've owned 15 dodge diesels, and I've never had one that would do over 20mpg... my mega cab was a 5.9. I never drove 70mph, but even at 70mph, I can't imagine it getting more than 18mph or so.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that truck. Best vehicle I ever owned! but my average was around 15mpg.

I guess I'm too heavy w/ the right foot, but I've never been able to reproduce the claims that others make.

Comment

Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                        As some one who drives a big truck they suck monkey nuts, I would never NEVER want one that was not a highway speeds 90% of the time. And don't get me started on DEF. Replacing the filter and or having it cleaned no fun.
                        I can bypass/reprogram around all that BS on the small trucks, but on the big trucks? whole different ballgame

Comment

I've owned 15 dodge diesels, and I've never had one that would do over 20mpg... my mega cab was a 5.9. I never drove 70mph, but even at 70mph, I can't imagine it getting more than 18mph or so.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that truck. Best vehicle I ever owned! but my average was around 15mpg.

I guess I'm too heavy w/ the right foot, but I've never been able to reproduce the claims that others make.
                          My 06 2wd will knock out over 20mpg at 60 and around 70-80 mph it will get 18.5-19. Bone stock.

I just broke 17 mpg in my 2010 F250, actually 17.5. I was getting a little pissed about the delete economy. I also did this with a average speed of 75 mph. 3.55 gears are nice at that speed.

Comment

70-80 is a big variance... how many tanks have you run at 60mph, and how do you drive 60mph?

Comment

I set the cruise on mine when I first got it and made a round trip to San Jon, New Mexico. It averaged right at 24 mpg bone stock (overhead said 26). Look at the terrain though, up 287 to Amarillo is almost perfectly flat. Then I-40 is flat with no stops. I'm not saying it's normal but it is possible. I'd hate to drive that thing every day though. It sucked to park, you can't pull into the driveway without waking up the neighbors and with no load it's like driving a tank.

Comment

that's amazing. I wouldn't call it normal by any means. I do believe it's possible, just never seen mileage that good with any of my trucks. They still do very well, don't get me wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X