Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers step inside please (hay hauling question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmers step inside please (hay hauling question)

Ive got a farmer that wants me to haul loads of 300 bales of hay from deep east texas to north texas then out of Kansas/Nebraska to north texas for the same 300 trailer load.

He wants me to give him a price on what Ill charge per mile. He loads me and unloads me. He says his 53' flatbed semis get 2.35 a mile, and ill be getting better fuel mileage than they will. (which is true, Ill probably average 9-10 loaded) so said the rate per mile will be lower.

What rate per mile is fair to haul his hay for him? I asked a few other guys but never got a reply back so Im asking here.

I say it's none of his business what it costs you. You can underbid a 53 footer slightly, but if he wants to try his luck for less, then venture elsewhere.

He needs the hay, if he's like the rest of us right now. You have what he needs, so don't sell yourself short just because you can do it cheaper.

Comment

Oh it isnt his business, this is just my first load to bid and I want to bid competitive that is all.

Comment

What type of rig you got?

One round bale is close to a ton. The semi that load up are loaded to the hilt. Hell hay is my friends main crop. He can't get it bailed and the guy loads it with his own tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          What type of rig you got?

One round bale is close to a ton. The semi that load up are loaded to the hilt. Hell hay is my friends main crop. He can't get it bailed and the guy loads it with his own tractor.
          these will be square bales, weigh 50-65 lb each.

rig is a 1 ton 3500 diesel with a 30' gooseneck

Comment

Based on the rate the semi's are giving him for 2.35/mi, assuming 530 bales, you would be between 1.30-1.35/mi. Not worth it for that.

Comment

I recommend you stay away from hay. It is nothing but a break even back haul commodity for trucking and most farmers are slow to pay. Also most of what I have hauled was paid by tonnage so I cant see a farm wanting to give you smaller loads unless they are burning bridges with carriers.

Comment

Cow Chow

No bueno

Comment

I would like to find some hay to haul from North Texas up into Oklahoma. If anyone out there has any or knows of any let me know. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Racing Transmission View Post
                    I would like to find some hay to haul from North Texas up into Oklahoma. If anyone out there has any or knows of any let me know. Thanks
                    Truck and a trailer - problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Truck and a trailer - problem solved.
                      I have truck and trailer. Just need the hay location and some way to load it.
                      Last edited by Woods Racing Transmission; 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Racing Transmission View Post
                        I have truck and trailer. Just need the hay lactation and some way to load it.
                        Does hay have nipples?

Comment

damn auto correct, no need for nipples that cows have that covered. They just need something in their gut.

Comment

I was going to suggest for those of you who want to make the most money hauling hay you should buy a load your self and take it down south and sell it at a premium to cut out the middleman. You can find people selling/buying on Craigslist in most areas. Most people selling and buying have a tractor to load and unload you (though you should verify).

That being said, you should probably know a little about hay so you don't get screwed, or screw someone else. Maybe it's not such a good idea.
                            DamonH

Comment

What's the cost to have someone come in and cut/bale acreage?
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                              X