Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to buy an enclosed car hauler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to buy an enclosed car hauler?

Like the title says - I'm looking at buying a car hauler for transport/storage of the Chevelle. Poking around online, I've found a brand new 24' V-nose for $4k in Georgia. I'd like to find something a little closer so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I'd also prefer to see it in person before shelling out a few thousand dollars.

Any recommendations on where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure it doesnt have a home made trailer tag and you get a title. Just FYI.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

^^^If I bought that first trailer, I'd have to live in it!

A lot of the trailers look identical with different brand names on them. Is there anything I need to watch out for ?

I'm looking at something like this:http://www.racingjunk.com/category/5...2-LOOK-24.html

Comment

What you buy just depends on budget and needs

If you plan on going any distance with it , I hope you have pickup capable to pull it safely

I talked to these people but, did not buy there ..

http://www.wacobill.com/, then they had a lot of inventory
        seemed like nice people

You can also try www.texastrailerman.com

I bought an open trailer from him

I don't know how much inventory he has on hand any more

Comment

what if it does have homeade trailer tags..you should re register in your name and get title in your name. it will not have a homeade trailer title
          KODFWS 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
            ^^^If I bought that first trailer, I'd have to live in it!

A lot of the trailers look identical with different brand names on them. Is there anything I need to watch out for ?

I'm looking at something like this:http://www.racingjunk.com/category/5...2-LOOK-24.html
            Dexter axles

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
              Dexter axles
              Dexter axles are to be avoided?

I've noticed that listed on a few ads - actually I think they were listed on the $4k trailer I mentioned in the original post.

Comment

BIL asked me at lunch today if i would be interested in running equipment for him between here and El Paso and here and Roswell, NM. Asked me if I was interested. Said Id need to get a truck and trailer (40' gooseneck). What used diesel would you recommend? (Pre-EGR) Trailer recommendation?

Some good posts about trailers in that thread.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by bubba stiff View Post
                  what if it does have homeade trailer tags..you should re register in your name and get title in your name. it will not have a homeade trailer title
                  Your shit will end up in the impound quick and you will have to prove ownership of it, your car, an whatever else is in it. He is looking at full size enclosed trailers and they all should have a VIN and title with them. Even most smaller trailers have titles.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

thats what im saying he needs to do. sorry if i didnt make it very clear. take the title to tax office and register the damn thing with the vin just like your car
                    KODFWS 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      Dexter axles are to be avoided?

I've noticed that listed on a few ads - actually I think they were listed on the $4k trailer I mentioned in the original post.
                      they are to be loathed

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                        What you buy just depends on budget and needs

If you plan on going any distance with it , I hope you have pickup capable to pull it safely

I talked to these people but, did not buy there ..

http://www.wacobill.com/, then they had a lot of inventory
                        seemed like nice people

You can also try www.texastrailerman.com

I bought an open trailer from him

I don't know how much inventory he has on hand any more
                        trailer man is good people.

Comment

Texas Trailer Man - Here is why...

...I'm waiting to sell my house to buy a trailer so I can use it to move. I correspond with him via email and he answers, ALWAYS and you'd never guess I've sent him a bunch of emails for different quotes and have not bought a damned thing. Not to mention when I do buy it won't be anything special.

He's explained he has some inventory on-hand but not what he used to due to the economy. 2-3 weeks for it to be built and available. However, I believe he keeps some around to sell or demo stuff.

Also, he was recommended to me by folks on this site. Also, I can't find anything bad about him on-line. Also, he's a small local business that I'd rather support as opposed to the bigger name companies with a 1000 trailers on their lots.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba stiff View Post
                            what if it does have homeade trailer tags.
                            Lots of stolen trailers floating around. If it has homemade trailer tags, its either not legitimately registered or might be stolen. Make SURE it has a 17 character VIN, that the VIN matches the title and that the tags match the title.

The common thing is to run tell TxDOT that you need tags for a homemade trailer then put 'em on your $10,000 enclosed car hauler. Its illegal. As King Jason said, your rig will wind up in impound and lots of departments will make you have to set it for a property hearing at JP court to get it back - months later.

edit - And Texas Trailer Man is good people.

Comment

Working...
                            X