Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what speed yields best mpg?

55 or 60?

Every car is slightly different depending on gearing and where the motor is most efficient. In general though, the lower speed will get you better mileage because wind resistance increases as the square of the speed.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Wherever torque peak is...

Comment

My dodge ram has the MDS and 2 overdrive gears. 60 mph and 55 mph have the same RPM once it finishes off its shifting and switches to 4 cyl mode. I average 22 MPG at 60 mph on the highway.

Everycar will be different.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

There's no telling. Each car will be different. You'll have to find it's sweet spot. For example, my old 86 yielded 28mpg at 68 mph. My 90 likes 60mph. My BMW peaks mileage about 80.

You will have to play and figure it out.

Comment

Truck is a 2011 5.3 silverado crew 2wd
            Travel trailer is 26 feet wieghs 6600

Comment

First tank ill do 55 and see

Comment

I had a 2004 F-250 Super Duty pulling a 32 ft. race trailer and, whenever I drove, it was at 60 mph nominally. I got 10 mpg +/-. When my son got tired of us going so slow, he would take over and raised the speed to 65. The mpg lowered to 8 mpg.
                Mustangs previously owned:
                1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                1992 LX AOD
                1993 LX Drag Car
                1995 GTS
                1997 Cobra
                2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                2016 Honda Accord Touring
                2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Whatever speed those city buses are driving at. My Camry does the best at 80-85 mph, which just so happens to coincide with the flat terrain and thin air out in West Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    Whatever speed those city buses are driving at. My Camry does the best at 80-85 mph, which just so happens to coincide with the flat terrain and thin air out in West Texas.
                    my car does best around 75mph, it actually gets worse mpg's at 55 or 60 (but then again it is a car not a truck).

Comment

My car does best at 70 MPH.

Comment

My truck gets 16 no matter what. Dad's on the other hand, gets better mileage the faster you go.

Pulling our trailer with atvs and gear to the deer camp last year it got better mileage in 5th gear vs 6th. He has a 2010 Chevy 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and 6spd trans. The 3.73's kill it in 6th gear, it was lugging something fierce.

Every car is different, and normal math goes out the window when you throw a trailer into the equation.
                        G'Day Mate

Comment

2006 Ram 4.7/auto gets its best mileage at 60-62mph. I can get 23 out of it at that speed. But it drastically falls off when going faster or in stop-and-go traffic so I average about 16.5mpg per tank.

This is all based on the instant mileage sensor on the truck which I've found to be fairly accurate. So far it's never been more than 1mpg off.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Warp speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JFurst View Post
                              55 or 60?
                              Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Wherever torque peak is...
                              Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                              Every car is slightly different depending on gearing and where the motor is most efficient. In general though, the lower speed will get you better mileage because wind resistance increases as the square of the speed.
                              I would say ALOT more than slightly different.
                              My fullsize v6 does best at 75mph. At 65, its just making much power, if I can run 75, or 80, it does MUCH better.
                              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X