Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many farmers do we have on the board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good to see a few of US.

I'm trying to learn how to ride the horses I baught. It will be nice this fall to heard the cattle to the winter lots.

Comment

Originally posted by trailerparksuperstar View Post
      Honestly, with the price of hay on the rise and water in such high demand I am shocked that cattle prices are still "normal" I figured with record temperatures and the lack of rain, sale-barns would be hitting rock bottom prices.
      The bf's dad owns 300acres of ranch out here in Johnson county. He just sold all of his 20+ longhorns off, about 20 cows, 1 bull, 2 donkeys, and 10 horses. He's going to re-up next year once his health improves and the prices go down some.

He made a killing on his longhorns and pulled in normal pricing on the rest. I was SHOCKED to see them bring in so much money considering all factors.

Working on a farm is nothing new to me, but helping my bf work this fulltime ranch has been one hell of an experience, especially in this heat. I'm so glad that he sold off so much until he gets better
      Originally posted by Vertnut
      I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by RunbabyRun09 View Post
        About 500 acres in Ellis county. Cattle are on most. We sold atleast half the herd already, because of hay. Canton area is still selling hay around 4.50 a square bale, and 55 for Rounds, second cuttings, from what I've heard from friends. Semi loads from Oklahoma are pretty cheap, 3.50 a bale for squares, don't think they do round bales. All are horse quality so it'll be good for cattle.

"Home" property we have the horses. 20 acres with 15 miniatures and 7 Paints/Quarters.

There are some places out this way that are selling rounds for $40. If I need to get anyone a number I will.

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post
          There are some places out this way that are selling rounds for $40. If I need to get anyone a number I will.
          Depending on what they bailed ( coastal, hay grazer, johns, etc) that could be a big investment for someone.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            It's good to see a few of US.

I'm trying to learn how to ride the horses I baught. It will be nice this fall to heard the cattle to the winter lots.
            Fourwheelers are easier and cheaper. Also, just put a bale of hay on a tractor... the cows will follow you anywhere.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              That's pretty awesome. You pick it up turn key? I'd love to go down there at some point.
              No, but the local cooking oil plant that buys my soybeans (Aceite Sabrosa) made it pretty easy to get land loans and offered me the opportunity to sell futures.

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
              Fourwheelers are easier and cheaper. Also, just put a bale of hay on a tractor... the cows will follow you anywhere.
              AGREED!
              If it weren't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                That's how we do it.... the smaller tractor has a huge spike on the back for round bales...we just stick one on and take off across the pasture and they follow wherever you want them to go

Comment

The bf's dad owns 300acres of ranch out here in Johnson county. He just sold all of his 20+ longhorns off, about 20 cows, 1 bull, 2 donkeys, and 10 horses. He's going to re-up next year once his health improves and the prices go down some.

He made a killing on his longhorns and pulled in normal pricing on the rest. I was SHOCKED to see them bring in so much money considering all factors.

Working on a farm is nothing new to me, but helping my bf work this fulltime ranch has been one hell of an experience, especially in this heat. I'm so glad that he sold off so much until he gets better
                  Longhorns aren't exactly the slaughter type, their pasture ornaments for rich people. Maybe that's why he didn't make such a killing.

There isn't any good quality horse hay for 40 a round, maybe for cattle but not for horses. Went to look at some in north Texas and there was thorns and sticks all in it. Goats wouldn't even have touched that crap.
                  Last edited by RunbabyRun09; 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

In our pasture even a 4 wheeler has problems. We also have a.river crossing. Since we grow out own feed and own our pasture

If you like hill climbing limestone hills.

I figured it was worth a shot. Just working our small heard has been great. It's so much easier to separate a cow.

What I really want is a rhino. Or utility vehicle.

I've got other things to buy. Such as everything. My father is stuck in the 70's.

I want gps hand free Damnit.

Comment

Originally posted by RunbabyRun09 View Post
                      Longhorns aren't exactly the slaughter type, their pasture ornaments for rich people. Maybe that's why he didn't make such a killing.

There isn't any good quality horse hay for 40 a round, maybe for cattle but not for horses. Went to look at some in north Texas and there was thorns and sticks all in it. Goats wouldn't even have touched that crap.
                      Yeah he's well off but doesn't act/show it. He's always raised longhorns and probably always will since it's what he loves. He made a pretty good chunk of change on that sale though. I thought with the way things are going right now people wouldn't be looking for more ornaments to feed/water/care for....but apparently not

Comment

Yeah he's well off but doesn't act/show it. He's always raised longhorns and probably always will since it's what he loves. He made a pretty good chunk of change on that sale though. I thought with the way things are going right now people wouldn't be looking for more ornaments to feed/water/care for....but apparently not

Same sort of deal with my miniatures. Rich people think they are cute, so they are always calling wanting to buy them, having one being sent to quarantine right now for it new home in Sweden. Paid 5500 just to ship it. LOL

Comment

People are still getting good prices because the US cattle herd numbers are the lowest they've been in 50 years. Nobody's buying cattle from Japan due to the radiation scare. Australian dollar is high, so it's cheaper to pay for then here then ship them over.

The average age of the American farmer is like 65. I think the future looks bright for Farmers who can inherit some land to get started, and expand as farmers around you retire. That's my plan at least.
                          DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
                            The average age of the American farmer is like 65. I think the future looks bright for Farmers who can inherit some land to get started, and expand as farmers around you retire. That's my plan at least.
                            That's the best advice I was given as well... buy land. It's the one thing they're not going to be able to make anymore of...and you can utilize it to fully take care of your needs. Doesn't make sense NOT to.

Comment

Buying land is not as easy as most people thiink. Most require 10-20% down.

On say 500 acres at even a 1000 a acre. Basically the rich get richer. I don't blame them as I'd buy it up if I could afford it. Atleast where I am at you never see small land auctions and you hardly ever see private sales.

Like it was said most of the kids are selling it all. Grabbing the money and running. The best thing about land sales if you can afford to buy is it will pay for itself. Many times over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                                Buying land is not as easy as most people thiink. Most require 10-20% down.

On say 500 acres at even a 1000 a acre. Basically the rich get richer. I don't blame them as I'd buy it up if I could afford it. Atleast where I am at you never see small land auctions and you hardly ever see private sales.

Like it was said most of the kids are selling it all. Grabbing the money and running. The best thing about land sales if you can afford to buy is it will pay for itself. Many times over.
                                I agree on all counts. Not only do most require 20% down you'll be slapped with a higher interest rate.

There's a 500 acre ranch beside us currently for sale. Owner died, kid's can't get wait to get rid of it. I'd love to get my hands on it, but they want $2800 an acre on land worth maybe $1600 an acre.

Our Farm has been in the family since the 1880's, so I'm hoping I can grow everything to a point I can leave my city job and full time it. Hopefully my son will be able to make a great living there at some point if he so chooses.
                                DamonH

Comment

Working...
                                X