Cheap place to buy nice furniture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
    My former wife used to do this... Shop Havertys, Ethan Allen, and all the big fancy places. Drink their free drinks. Eat their free cookies. And leave with a print out of each item you want -- as if you're gonna think about it and come back. Then, go to the one off no name furniture stores. The ones with the owner who barely speaks English. The one with the delivery truck that used to be a U-Haul truck. Take the print out to them and ask them how much if they order it. They have access to the same catalogs as the big name stores but will have a lot less mark up.
    Interesting.....

Comment

all your cheap furniture comes from the same place, the good furniture comes from their own manufacture

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        That's a little bit jewish, don't ya think? I mean, the slavic dude couldn't afford to have the showroom, so obviously his markup wouldn't have to be as much.
        Even with a lower markup he made out great as he didn't need to do anything but order. I don't feel any benefit from spending more at a place because its "nicer". If I could have bought the furniture off the internet, I would have if it meant saving money - and saving nearly 50% over the long run was worth it.

Comment

At the time, we lived in a nice gated community. Most of the delivery trucks were Ethan Allens, Havertys, etc. Once in a while, an old Uhaul truck with a hand painted coat of yellow would show up at our house to deliver. It almost looked like Goodwill was there to pick up stuff.

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          That's a little bit jewish, don't ya think? I mean, the slavic dude couldn't afford to have the showroom, so obviously his markup wouldn't have to be as much.
          Free market.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X