Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas heatwave is making a run at the 1980 record.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas heatwave is making a run at the 1980 record.

Be safe out there peeps. Heatstroke isn't anything to fuck around with.

Not to be outdone by J.R. Ewing's return to "Dallas," Mother Nature is making her own 1980s-like comeback.

The heat wave forecast for North Texas this week could produce record high temperatures and will get DFW even closer to 1980's infamous streak of 42 consecutive days of triple-digit heat.

Sunday's official high of 103 at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport puts 2011 in second place on that list with 30 days of 100 or better. The scorching temps made the month the third-warmest July on record.

But officials warn that this week's outlook could be dangerously hot and have issued an excessive heat warning through Thursday.

The American Red Cross offers a checklist of precautions people should take. Reliant Energy is sponsoring "beat the heat" centers at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center and West Dallas Multipurpose Center. City of Dallas rec centers are also open to folks needing to cool off. Fort Worth is providing relief at public buildings and offering other assistance as well.

"The primary forecast challenge is determining just how hot it will get, but model guidance is in good agreement that temps will range from 105 to 110 over the area during the next few days," meteorologist Ted Ryan Monday morning wrote in a forecast for the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. "This will be the hottest stretch of weather since Aug. 30 — Sept. 5th in 2000 when temps peaked at 111 degrees."

RECORD HIGHS AND FORECAST HIGHS FOR THIS WEEK AT DFW:
    DATE RECORD YEAR/S FORECAST*
    Aug. 1 106 1998 107
    Aug. 2 107 1998 107
    Aug. 3 107 2008 107
    Aug. 4 107 1951 106
    Aug. 5 106 1964, 56, 51 106
    Aug. 6 109 2003 105
    Aug. 7 106 1988, 53, 51 104
    *Issued during the morning on Aug. 1.

We can do it!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      We can do it!!!!!

Fuck that, some records should stand! Seriously though, I really have barely even noticed it this year, and usually I hate Texas summers. CBS says the official temperature in Arlington right now 107. DFW Airport has tied the record at 106.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Fuck that, some records should stand! Seriously though, I really have barely even noticed it this year, and usually I hate Texas summers. CBS says the official temperature in Arlington right now 107. DFW Airport has tied the record at 106.
        That is because you have gotten smarter over the years and realized it is best to stay inside rather than work on a shitbox car.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I am the exact opposite... most years it does not bother me much... this year I can't stand going outside for anything.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            That is because you have gotten smarter over the years and realized it is best to stay inside rather than work on a shitbox car.
            That's true.

DALLAS - Extreme heat contributed to the deaths of nine people in Dallas County this summer, officials confirmed on Monday.

The deaths happened during the months of June and July but six of those occurred in the last week alone, they said.

All of the victims have been between the ages of 40 and 80.

Two did not have air conditioning.

Officials are calling the situation a crisis and the county has set up a phone hotline for those who do not have air conditioning.

Those interested can call 214-819-6001. Qualified individuals can have an A/C unit delivered, free of charge.

As of Monday morning there have been 30 consecutive days of triple-digit temperatures across North Texas .

FOX 4 meteorologists said as many as 10 more consecutive days will also surpass 100 degrees.

Comment

I finally bought a daily driver with A/C a few weeks ago, yay me!
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

What did people do before air conditioning? lol
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Currently 108* here in Longview. Walking around outside means instant ball soup in the crotch.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I just hate the swamp ass you get.

And I hate to date myself but I remember the summer of 1980....
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      I just hate the swamp ass you get.

And I hate to date myself but I remember the summer of 1980....

I lived in Copperas Cove back then. Uhg. Thank god my parents moved before I was old enough to have very many memories of it. lol

Comment

Thank goodness we finished summer baseball season Saturday. We had a kid on the opposing team go down last Monday when it was like 106. This has been an insanely hot summer because it's not cooling down any at night. The drought isn't helping either. Our air conditioner runs 24/7 and the house heats up throughout the day. I'm ready for winter.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          Thank goodness we finished summer baseball season Saturday. We had a kid on the opposing team go down last Monday when it was like 106.
                          Our playoffs started 2 weekends ago. We played at noon on Saturday and 9 AM on Sunday on fields where the only shade we could find was BEHIND the dugouts, then this weekend we played at 4 PM on Saturday and 10 AM on Sunday. Next week is the championship series, at 3 PM on Saturday and 10 AM on Sunday (game 3 to follow if necessary). I would rather play at 8 or 9 AM than in the middle of the day.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I hate this weather with a passion. If I can't get in the parking garage at work I know my drive home is gonna suck ass!

Comment

thanks for the info troy dungan!

in other late breaking news..... it's monday!

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X