Officials uncover suspected Columbia debris in East Texas lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officials uncover suspected Columbia debris in East Texas lake

I am surprised more of this stuff hasn't been found as the local lake levels plummet.

Nacogdoches authorities have located what is suspected of being material from the space Shuttle Columbia in the northern end of Lake Nacogdoches.

Released by the Nacogdoches Police Department:

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (KTRE) - Nacogdoches authorities have located what is suspected of being material from the space Shuttle Columbia in the northern end of Lake Nacogdoches.

"The lower water level has exposed a larger than normal area on the northern side of the lake", said NPD Sgt. Greg Sowell. " A large round object became visible, and it is very possible that it is part of Columbia".

Authorities notified NASA last Friday, and they requested photos of the object. According to Sowell, photos were sent to them this morning. The round object is approximately four feet in diameter and is full of mud.

The object is in an isolated area, one that is not easily accessible.

"We want to remind everyone that the rules are the same as they were back in 2003. If this object is indeed a part of the shuttle, it is government property, and it is a criminal offense to tamper with it." Sowell said.

Nacogdoches authorities are awaiting instructions from NASA on recovery of the item.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

I would have a hard time not painting an eyeball on it.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

That'd make some hillbilly a badass smoker.

Comment

Chances are that it is much older than 2003 and has nothing to do with the space shuttle.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

when you see "colombia debris", my first thought was cocaine
          pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

I wonder if their is a body in all of the mud in it.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
              Chances are that it is much older than 2003 and has nothing to do with the space shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                Lol my thoughts went the same direction. Was thinkin about those cocaine smugglin subs that they started finding.
                .223 > 911

Comment

I wish to goodness I could find the footage I saw when it was aired. I was in Lufkin the day it occurred and my cousin was reporting for the newspaper there. I tagged along with him chasing down stories. There was a home video aired on a local station down there where some people at a small airpark had filmed where they found a big sphere just like that one had landed on a runway....so they loaded it in the back of a pickup and took pictures beside it with their hands on it. This is while all the news is telling people to leave stuff where you find it and DONT TOUCH IT. My cousin and I came upon one chunk of the underside that still had tile attached. It was laying in the middle of the road. A rancher was guarding it. News crews came along. Every once in a while I see the clip footage of my cousin and I standing there looking at it. One hick came along and muttered something about "Good thing yall found it before I did or it would be gone."

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                    Lol, me too..

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                      That'd make some hillbilly a badass smoker.
                      E Tx = meth lab.

When I walk in the woods over here, I'm always keeping an eye peeled for anything from the shuttle. Of course I would turn it over to the proper authorities (so they could make a paperweight out of it instead of me making one out of it).

Comment

Government property, my ass. If I found something, I would bury it before I gave it to them. Finders keepers, bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                          Chances are that you have no idea what you are talking about.

NASA has confirmed to CNN?that an object?found in Lake Nacogdoches is a section of space shuttle Columbia, according to a Kennedy Space Center spokesperson.

NACOGDOCHES, COUNTY, TX - NASA has confirmed to CNN that an object found in Lake Nacogdoches is a section of space Shuttle Columbia, according to a Kennedy Space Center spokesperson.

"It's one of ours," said Lisa Malone.

Malone said the piece is a power reaction storage and distribution tank from the shuttle. It's about 4 feet in diameter. The tanks provided power and water for shuttle missions.

NASA was informed by authorities last week they had found possible shuttle debris in the lake.

NASA is in contact with Nacogdoches Police to try to determine a recovery plan.

"We're looking into whether will send a team out or local authorities can do it," Malone said.

Malone said the plan is to get the tank back to KSC where the rest of Columbia's debris is stored

"Once a year someone in Texas will find a piece of something, they think is Columbia debris," Malone said.

The last debris recovered was a year ago. Columbia remains are stored in the vehicle assembly building at KSC.
                          Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                          X