Doable or stupid move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doable or stupid move?

Part of my honey do list entails me moving a full size mattress and box spring from Plano to Carrollton which is roughly 30 miles. I was thinking about just throwing it on top of my suv and roping it down. Is this doable? If so, what should my top speed be? The Tollway has a minimum speed which would make the trip faster, but I don't want to cause any wrecks over it.

Eh... if it was just a mattress then yeah, but both I'd say scrap that idea. Find someone with a truck. Hell if my brother didn't take the truck I'd be happy to help you out.

Comment

It's not the way that I would personally do it. If you have no other way to transport it, then put the box spring on top of the mattress.

Depending on your straps, your top speed could be anywhere from 35-80 mph.

Comment

How about if I made two trips? I hate asking people for help when It's my list.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
          How about if I made two trips? I hate asking people for help when It's my list.
          That's up to you, what kind of suv do you have? You would possible squeeze the mattress through the back and strap down the box spring up top?

Comment

^^^^^^
            That might be possible. It's a Honda pilot which is a mid-sized suv. I might have to drive with the back open though.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
              ^^^^^^
              That might be possible. It's a Honda pilot which is a mid-sized suv. I might have to drive with the back open though.
              Well yeah, but if you can throw a strap on that one and two on the box spring you should be good. But your straps need to be pretty beastly.

Comment

i would put both up there. just put the box spring on top. use three straps and go. done it a few times

Comment

Originally posted by 94 cobra View Post
                  i would put both up there. just put the box spring on top. use three straps and go. done it a few times
                  Yep, that's the way to go. Threads like these are precisely why I haven't sold my pickup.

Comment

Would not do. Mattresses can become airborne very easily, no matter how well you think you've tied them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                      Would not do. Mattresses can become airborne very easily, no matter how well you think you've tied them down.
                      There are plenty of 35 to 45 mph streets between the two cities, and there's no way that it's 30 miles, even round trip. I'd say 10 at the most, going the least direct way possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                        wrong.

If you put the mattress on bottom and box spring on top (like stated) it will work. The box spring isnt going to flex like the mattress will thus being less likely to catch wind, plus the mattress on the bottom will be easier on your paint. Just make sure its strapped down good in the front to where it cant catch air and dont go over 40-45mph.

Comment

I vote tying it down on the roof while someone rides on top of it redneck-style.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                            I vote tying it down on the roof while someone rides on top of it redneck-style.

Stevo
                            I vote for no tie downs....Just need the driver and passenger to hold it with their outside arms. If you're gonna go redneck style don't half ass it with the tie downs.

Comment

I'd do two ratchet straps from side to side and one from front to back. This assumes your SUV has a luggage rack that you can attach the strap hooks to.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X