Unemployment Benefits question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Benefits question

If I worked at company A for 2 years, and was laid off, then within 2 weeks went to work for company B, and worked there for 2 weeks and was laid off....

.... am I eligible for unemployment benefits through either company? If so, which one?

I always thought that you had to be employed for at least 30 days before you were eligible for unemployment benefits, but I'm not positive.

Thanks much..

Tough question. Even if you were eligible, it would be against the second company. If you can claim, i don't think you would be eligible for long term benefits though. Wouldn't hurt to call and file now though. Even if you don't need the benefits immediately, you will find out if your application is approved/denied then start making claims when you need money. You'll have,to call them to reinstate you, but a claim is valid for a year, unless that has changed.

Sorry to hear about your situation.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

How much for the STI?

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
        How much for the STI?
        Vulture!

Well, since he is asking...

Comment

you're eligible based upon how long you've been employeed period.

They take all employment history for the last year into account.

You'll get the max of 350ish a week before taxes.

Comment

as long as you were laid off you will get benefits, it doesn't matter if you only worked 2 weeks for co. B. don't stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post

Jeez! That's like half of Massachusetts. Glad I'll be eligible there.

Comment

I was getting $438 under state and $375 or so under federal when i was out of work.
                How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

How were you getting two?

I thought you only got state unemployment benefits and they were reimbursed by the fed?

Unemployment insurance programs are governed by State governments and are funded by state, federal and private companies that pay employment tax. Ultimately, it comes to the state government to balance the checkbook, so the state has to decide the benefits maximum amount, duration, and eligibility to receive the benefits. For this reason, you notice that unemployment benefits largely vary by state.

oh and it's 392/mo now in Texas

Comment

Eligibility will be based on most recent employment and reason for leaving. You can always appeal and have different circumstances though, it's not always a clear cut case.

Max benefits in Texas right now are $415/week, first hand knowledge

Comment

Massachusetts

Max: $629 a week and $25 a week per child

Comment

408 a week
                        i asked my neighbor
                        first class white trash

Comment

yeah, i just saw that they upped it in the last few months. 392 was as of an article i was reading from early this year.

Denny, you still have to pay state and federal income tax on that in Mass too.
                          State 5.3% flat tax.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                            408 a week
                            i asked my neighbor
                            $415 is the MAX. It's all based on income from previous year, there is no set amount.

Comment

yeah, i just saw that they upped it in the last few months. 392 was as of an article i was reading from early this year.

Denny, you still have to pay state and federal income tax on that in Mass too.
                              State 5.3% flat tax.
                              Ya, but with three kiddos, I'll still make out with more.

Comment

Working...
                              X