Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President announces deal to boost fuel economy (lol)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck that! I'll keep my old, paid for, gas puzzling shit.
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
      Yeah, given the current state of our nation and the economy.. you'd better make a decision to buy that new car quick!
      Damn logic!

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
        Fucking retarded. Save money at the pump, get ass raped on your monthly car payment. I remember the last few months of Bush's term I was saving money at the pump. Why? Because it was $2.00/gallon.
        This is what is being overlooked. If cars go from 27mpg to 54 mpg, watch gas go from $3/gal to $6/gal. In the end, consumers spend just as much on gas and now more on the vehicle. This green/money-saving initiative will cost us more in the long run for sure. If they want to save us some money, make gas cheaper. It affects everything from manufacturing and shipping costs to our own transportation costs. The costs of goods would go down, businesses would make more money, and we'd have more disposable income.

Comment

Unless the auto companies have a magic wand, I don't see it happening.
          Last edited by EW; 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Fucking retarded. Save money at the pump, get ass raped on your monthly car payment. I remember the last few months of Bush's term I was saving money at the pump. Why? Because it was $2.00/gallon.
            The economy sure would pick up some steam again with $2 gas prices.

My household disposable income would increase somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 a month if I was only paying $2.00 a gallon over current prices.

That five thousand would be in turn put directly back into the economy. I cannot figure out how they don't understand this. Everyone who owns a car has more disposable money with cheaper fuel prices. They go up, less money in circulation for wants = everyone has less money. period.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              Because if they didn't work together, the government would say, "You need to make cars that 1000 mpg starting in 10 years. Even though the technology doesn't exist.

By working together they can make reasonable demands, versus typical government BS.
              I understand the goal should be within reason, but what is wrong with the government bringing in an expert that is not influenced by the whole situation?

Originally posted by stevo View Post
              Because this isn't Russia? The government shouldn't have it's nose in private companies, the demands of the gov due to safety I understand, but all these requirements are one of the things that make cars stupid-expensive. The gov is going to force them to make some 1500 pound egg that gets 100 mpg, zero emissions and still has a crash-test rating of a Volvo AND still have a range of a normal gasoline powered car. They might as well be designing an interplanetary spaceship.

The reason the car manufacturers are for this shit is because the will get to charge for all of it, it will make them money. Get ready for a $50,000 compact car.

Stevo
              I didn't say the government should be involved, but since they are, at least tell them how it is going to be. Don't let them dictate something YOU are enforcing. It's like if you got a ticket and then said you really don't want to pay for all of it and the judge agrees for half the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I understand the goal should be within reason, but what is wrong with the government bringing in an expert that is not influenced by the whole situation?
                Who are you going to bring in as an expert? Someone that works in the automotive industry?

That's what they typically do. Who do you think Government experts are? Typically they are all executives from major corporations.

Comment

Who are you going to bring in as an expert? Someone that works in the automotive industry?

That's what they typically do. Who do you think Government experts are? Typically they are all executives from major corporations.
                  That is the problem. Don't bring in someone tied in some way to these companies. Surely, someone works independently on future automobile technology.

Comment

That is the problem. Don't bring in someone tied in some way to these companies. Surely, someone works independently on future automobile technology.
                    Independently doing what? Other than colleges and universities who have grants from major Auto makers, there are no independents in the auto industry really.

Comment

Independently doing what? Other than colleges and universities who have grants from major Auto makers, there are no independents in the auto industry really.
                      There probably is a reason for that.

Comment

Hi. I'm Earth. Have we met?

Comment

There probably is a reason for that.
                          yes, because no matter what happens in business or politics, one simple rule always stands...

Cash Rules Everything Around Me, CREAM, get the money, Dollar Dollar bills ya'll!

Comment

Haha, I am not saying it would ever happen. I know it is a hypothetical "why isn't it like this" scenario. It is just hard to believe there can't be a third party that has input on automotive tech. and can say who is blowing smoke up our governments ass.

Comment

it's all a game to show that our government is doing something about our dependency on oil.

Truthfully, we don't want to stop depending on oil, because if we do it, other countries will follow, and with the amount of oil reserves we are sitting on, when the other wells run dry, who do you think will benefit?

Comment

In December 2008 it hit $1.35/gal.

Comment

Working...
                                X