Applying for a patent - questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    Not sure, I really haven't check in a couple of years, just remember I was going to buy one from someone but ended up cobbling together my own and modifying the carb to port vacuum/boost to the PV.

If no one has actually put a patent on a design, you should be good I would think.

Stevo
    To be honest, I haven't been over there in quite some time, but based on your input I went and poked around some only to find nothing of any substance.

Originally posted by Baron View Post
    Brooks, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think there has to be something like 5 differences from a patented design for it to not be considered patent infringement. Sounds like you are covered, as yours is almost completely different from the other and doesn't even perform the same way, just has a similar result.
    Dimensionally alone, mine is pretty different. The only thing is that there's really only one way for them to work, and with the given workspace of a holley (or similar) metering block - there's only one way to make it. Within those specs the function of that design is what makes it work so well...

To be honest, I'm not sure a patent is the way to go - even then, it would get copied, rebranded, sold overseas etc..@100$ a piece or so, it may not be worth it - who knows.

Comment

One of the guys I race with patented an extension that you could use with latex gloves on and not rip them to shreds, and it cost him over 5k for the patent. You would have to make a shit ton of them to pay that, and I don't see the market for litteraally thousands of them in a reasonable timeframe.

I'd just make them and profit what you can.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

you never know if it will make money unless you try. My uncle was the guy that invented the magnetic socket holder that I bet 80% of the people in this thread have. he also invented the twist lock socket holders that a lot of people have too. I say if you have the funds to try it with out it breaking you, then go for it. My uncle is doing really well know just sitting back inventing stuff and selling it to the big tool companies.

edit: he came up with this idea when he had his own shop and was tired of trying to pull sockets off of the metal socket holder with greasy hands. his tool man saw the one that my uncle made and told him he really needed to patent that and sell it. My uncle had to have a partner to get started but bought him out a year later. that was back in '92

Last edited by 2165 Turbo Rail; 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM.
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Lots of good info here guys, I appreciate it.

Based on what i've seen here, I don't think it's going to be 'worth' it?

What does a patent give you? I mean, if someone vioates your patent - what kind of legal recourse do you have? some kind of royalties?

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

What does a patent give you? I mean, if someone vioates your patent - what kind of legal recourse do you have? some kind of royalties?
            Sue for ip violations...you can make a fuck ton off of those...

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

shit... Ask the people who made the Blackberry cell phones. Some asshole patented the idea of "email on a cell phone" and he waited YEARS for that company (RIM?) to be worth millions and then sued them and won. That dude snagged something like 40% of the company's profits

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Sue for ip violations...you can make a fuck ton off of those...
                you advise in this thread has been spot on except for this. most of the time the people that infinge in these type of situations are like smash and grab stereo thieves. just in for the quick buck and then on to the next scam. they will have no assets to attach and no capital. your attorney will love you as you pay him to pursue the case and he will win because, hey you have the patent. However getting a judgment and getting paid for it is two entirely different things.

Comment

Working...
                X