Applying for a patent - questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a patent - questions?

I have a small part that I made for my car, there's only one I've made - and it worked so good, that I'm thinking on getting a patent for it.

The only problem is that I got the idea from somewhere else, and my part resembles what I got the idea from, but with some major updates/changes.

I guess my main question is, First - the patent database seems to be so convoluted in it's search process, I can't even find any RELATED parts.

Second - what's involved in a patent? attorney needed?

Unfortunately you will be best off getting a patent lawyer and its not going to be cheap or a quick process.

Comment

Yes an attorney is needs and it's several grand for a good patent. You can patent innovations so your idea is in the clear. If you're confident, get a provisional to keep you safe for at least a year.

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, I am curious as to what it is exactly.
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

You should also have a year of protection if you go public with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Yes an attorney is needs and it's several grand for a good patent. You can patent innovations so your idea is in the clear. If you're confident, get a provisional to keep you safe for at least a year.
            Provisional? as in a temporary patent? I don't necessarily mind spending the money, but a return on the 'investment' would be schweet.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            Unfortunately you will be best off getting a patent lawyer and its not going to be cheap or a quick process.
            Lol, see above.

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            Pics or it didn't happen.
            Seriously though, I am curious as to what it is exactly.
            I won't post pics publicly, yet. I want to be sure there's no patent, or possibly any trouble with what I've made. It's a powervalve for a carburetor that works 100% backwards from a standard powervalve. It's similar in concept, made from FAR superior materials and dimensionally completely different. I can't find ANY where that sells what I speak of by itself. So, I doubt there's one patented... but ya never know.

Comment

Provisional gets you patent pending. Most patents never show much return FYI...it if your confident go for it! I have a friend who recently did a provisional for just 1500. Then if you decide to you can take it further for 5K plus

Comment

Note: provisional is not a patent yet

If you need some mechanical modeling to create 3D models and part drawings I'll do them cheap

Comment

I have several, call me............
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

No offense, but wouldn't patenting a carburetor innovation be about as likely to yield a return on investment as patenting an improvement to a VHS player?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      No offense, but wouldn't patenting a carburetor innovation be about as likely to yield a return on investment as patenting an improvement to a VHS player?
                      Shit, somebody forgot to tell Edelbrock, Holley and Demon, amongst others, that the carbuerator is dead.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Not quite...There's still a market for carburetor parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                          Shit, somebody forgot to tell Edelbrock, Holley and Demon, amongst others, that the carbuerator is dead.
                          somebody forgot to tell you Barry Grant (Demon) is broke..........
                          pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

How does this power valve help the common carbureted junky?
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                              somebody forgot to tell you Barry Grant (Demon) is broke..........
                              Somebody took to long to tell Barry Grant that his products sucked.
                              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                              X