Investing in Bonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investing in Bonds

Wanting to lock up my house purchase money in an investment. My advisor recommends bonds and has one in particular.

With the current economy is this smart?

I do NOT want to lose any of it, problem is CD rates are VERY low right now so this sounds like a better bet, but not sure right now.

Wait till and see if the stupid govt shuts down... Too risky at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
      Wanting to lock up my house purchase money in an investment. My advisor recommends bonds and has one in particular.

With the current economy is this smart?

I do NOT want to lose any of it, problem is CD rates are VERY low right now so this sounds like a better bet, but not sure right now.
      Bonds? BONDS?!?!

/grabs chest and looks up
      "Elizabeth... I'm coming, dear. Here I come!"

Comment

LOL, well my brother says the same thing right now.

Why would my advisor be recommending it??

I know I came to him asking, but he should say well right now it's risky, wtf?

Comment

You gotta know how to jack this shit, you gotta play this game rough, nameen? In-Out-Get-Grab-BONK!

Comment

Why would my advisor be recommending it??
            Because he gets paid either way.

Invest in booze and strippers. As in alcohol sales and strip clubs. They seem to be impervious to a suffering economy. People will spend their very last dollar on a beer and boobies.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
              Because he gets paid either way.

Invest in booze and strippers. As in alcohol sales and strip clubs. They seem to be impervious to a suffering economy. People will spend their very last dollar on a beer and boobies.
              Well I hear ya man. Seems like savings are a hindrance right now but I know it isn't.

Guess I can start looking for new Mustang's now while the interest rates are low.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                They seem to be impervious to a suffering economy.
                Yep. Bars make money hand over fist when the economy hits the shitter. Because everyone is at the bar spending money they don't have, to forget that the economy sucks, they may get laid off tomorrow, etc.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Well I hear ya man. Seems like savings are a hindrance right now but I know it isn't.

Guess I can start looking for new Mustang's now while the interest rates are low.
                  Avoid debt. Period.

Comment

First rule of bond investing; you do not talk about bond investing.

Comment

"A bond" doesn't really help me out much. Which bond?
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I am not touching anything until August 2nd or until they make a deal. I expect a short rally once they do which will help me short a few items of interest...
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Ticker Symbol
                          2Q11
                          as of 6/30/11
                          Janus Flexible Bond Fund
                          A: JDFAX
                          C: JFICX
                          S: JADFX
                          I: JFLEX
                          R: JDFRX
                          T: JAFIX
                          Fund Overview
                          • Employs a bottom-up, fundamentally driven investment process that focuses on
                          credit-oriented investments
                          • Fundamental credit research is used to build a mosaic of information in an effort to
                          identify macro trends and inform allocations across fixed income sectors
                          • Credit research emphasizes free cash flow generation, quality of management and
                          security valuation
                          Performance (%)
                          Average Annual Total Returns
                          2Q11 YTD 1 yr. 3 yr. 5 yr. 10 yr. Since
                          Inception
                          Class A Shares
                          (@ NAV) 1.79 3.07 5.41 9.04 8.08 6.55 7.54
                          (@ MOP) -3.04 -1.83 0.43 7.28 7.03 6.03 7.33
                          Barclays Capital U.S.
                          Aggregate Bond Index
                          2.29 2.72 3.90 6.46 6.52 5.74 7.28
                          Data presented reflects past performance, which is no guarantee of future results.
                          Investment results and principal value will fluctuate so that shares, when redeemed, may be
                          worth more or less than their original cost. Due to market volatility, current performance may
                          be higher or lower than the performance shown. Call 877.33JANUS (52687) or visit
                          janus.com/advisor/mutual-funds for performance current to the most recent month end.
                          Performance shown for Class A Shares at Maximum Offering Price (MOP) includes the
                          Fund’s maximum sales charge of 4.75%. Performance shown at Net Asset Value (NAV) does
                          not include this charge and would have been lower had this charge been taken into account.
                          †Janus Capital has contractually agreed to waive each Fund’s total annual fund operating expenses allocated to any class (excluding any performance
                          adjustments to management fees if applicable, distribution and shareholder servicing fees – applicable to Class A Shares, Class C Shares, Class R Share
                          and Class S Shares, administrative services fees payable pursuant to the Transfer Agency Agreement – applicable to Class R Shares, Class S Shares and
                          Class T Shares, brokerage commissions, interest, dividends, taxes, and extraordinary expenses including, but not limited to, acquired fund fees and
                          expenses) to certain limits until at least 11/1/11. The contractual waiver may be terminated or modified prior to this date only at the discretion of the
                          Board of Trustees. Returns shown include fee waivers, if any, and without such waivers returns would have been lower.
                          Growth of a Hypothetical $10,000 Investment (7/7/87 - 6/30/11)
                          Class A shares @ MOP. This hypothetical example does not represent the returns of any particular investment.
                          $0
                          $10,000
                          $30,000
                          $40,000
                          $50,000
                          $20,000
                          $60,000
                          ’88 ’90 ’92 ’94 ’96 ’98 ’00 ’02 ’04 ’06 ’08 ’10
                          $54,495 ●
                          Morningstar Style BoxTM
                          LIM
                          LOW
                          MOD
                          MEDIUM
                          EXT
                          HIGH
                          X
                          QUALITY
                          DURATION
                          Objective
                          Maximum total return,
                          consistent with
                          preservation of capital
                          Strategy
                          Invests at least 80% of
                          assets in bonds
                          Portfolio Managers
                          Gibson Smith
                          Darrell Watters
                          Inception Date
                          July 7, 1987
                          Fund Assets $3.4 B
                          Number of Debt Issues 284
                          Weighted Avg
                          Maturity 6.53 yrs
                          Weighted Avg
                          Duration 4.86 yrs
                          Average Coupon 5.0%
                          Regional Allocation (% of Fund)
                          U.S. 91%
                          Non-U.S. 7%
                          Cash/equivalents 2%
                          Annual Expense Ratios
                          (as of 6/30/10)
                          Gross Net†
                          A 0.76% 0.76%
                          C 1.51% 1.51%
                          S 0.95% 0.95%
                          I 0.59% 0.55%
                          R 1.20% 1.20%
                          T 0.70% 0.70%
                          Gross Expense Ratio
                          Does not include waivers
                          Net Expense Ratio
                          Includes waivers
                          Morningstar Category
                          Intermediate-Term Bond
                          Class A Shares of the Fund commenced operations on 7/6/09. The performance shown for Class A Shares for periods prior to 7/6/09, reflects the performance of the Fund’s Class J Shares, the initial share class,
                          calculated using the fees and expenses of Class A Shares, without the effect of any fee and expense limitations or waivers. If Class A Shares of the Fund had been available during periods prior to 7/6/09, the
                          performance shown may have been different. The performance shown for periods following the Fund’s commencement of Class A Shares reflects the fees and expenses of Class A Shares, net of any fee and expense
                          limitations or waivers.
                          The fees and expenses shown were determined based on net assets as of the fiscal period ended 6/30/10. Contractual waivers agreed to by Janus Capital, where applicable, are included under “Net Annual Fund
                          Operating Expenses.” (All expenses are shown without the effect of expense offset arrangements. Pursuant to such arrangements, credits realized as a result of uninvested cash balances are used to reduce custodian and
                          transfer agent expenses.)
                          Barclays Capital U.S. Aggregate Bond Index is made up of the Barclays Capital U.S. Government/Corporate Bond Index, Mortgage-Backed Securities Index, and Asset-Based Securities Index, including securities
                          that are of investment grade quality or better, have at least one year to maturity, and have an outstanding par value of at least $100 million. The Fund’s portfolio may differ significantly from the securities held in the
                          index. The index is unmanaged and not available for direct investment; therefore its performance does not reflect the expenses associated with the active management of an actual portfolio.
                          Returns include reinvestment of dividends and capital gains.
                          C-0611-048 10-15-11 199-08-13627 07-11
                          Janus Flexible Bond Fund
                          2Q11
                          as of 6/30/11
                          Fund distributed by Janus
                          Distributors LLC (07/11)
                          Glossary
                          Alpha is a measure of the
                          portfolio’s risk-adjusted
                          performance. When compared to
                          the portfolio’s beta, a positive
                          alpha indicates better-thanexpected
                          portfolio performance
                          and a negative alpha indicates
                          worse-than-expected portfolio
                          performance.
                          Sharpe Ratio is a measure of
                          three-year historical adjusted
                          performance calculated by
                          dividing the portfolio’s excess
                          returns by the standard deviation
                          of those returns to determine
                          reward per unit of risk. The higher
                          the ratio, the better the portfolio’s
                          historical risk-adjusted
                          performance.
                          Beta is a measure of the volatility
                          of a portfolio relative to the
                          overall market. A beta less than
                          1.00 indicates lower risk than the
                          market; a beta greater than 1.00
                          indicates higher risk than the
                          market. Beta is most reliable as a
                          risk measure when the return
                          fluctuations of the portfolio are
                          highly correlated with the return
                          fluctuations of the index chosen
                          to represent the market.
                          R2 represents the percentage of
                          the portfolio’s movements that
                          can be explained by the general
                          movements of the market. Index
                          portfolios will tend to have R2
                          values very close to 1.00.
                          Standard Deviation is an
                          indicator of the portfolio’s total
                          return volatility, which is based on
                          a minimum of 36 monthly returns.
                          The larger the portfolio’s
                          standard deviation, the greater
                          the portfolio’s volatility.

Sector Allocation (% of Fund)
                          Treasuries. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18.5
                          Credit – Investment Grade . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44.5
                          Credit – High-Yield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24.4
                          Other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.4
                          Cash/Equivalents. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.2
                          Quality Breakdown (% of Fund)
                          S&P Ratings
                          AAA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26.34
                          AA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.21
                          A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12.34
                          BBB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29.32
                          BB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.06
                          B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.75
                          Not Rated* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.77
                          Credit Industry Allocation (% of Fund)
                          Banking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.0
                          Consumer Non-Cyclicals. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.3
                          Technology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.5
                          Consumer Cyclicals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.1
                          Finance Companies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.0
                          Basic Industry . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.4
                          REITs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.2
                          Capital Goods. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.1
                          Communications . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.7
                          Natural Gas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.5
                          Brokerage. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0
                          Insurance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.6
                          Energy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.3
                          Electric. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.1
                          Transportation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.8
                          Other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.4

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            Avoid debt. Period.
                            I've done this for awhile that's why I still drive my 05 Kia.

The car is fine, but boring, I know that's the wrong reason to buy a new car but hey, if I keep this outlook I will have next to nothing.

I am one to not splurge on major expenses but seem to buy little shit that adds up over time, so as of this week I am on a fairly strict budget, so I can afford the car and a house when it's time.

I have more than enough of this money to put down on a house but thought about using 15k to put down on a new car to keep the payments down.

I dunno, I would love to make good money on the investment but not sure right now without a lot of risk.

Comment

I've done this for awhile that's why I still drive my 05 Kia.

The car is fine, but boring, I know that's the wrong reason to buy a new car but hey, if I keep this outlook I will have next to nothing.

I am one to not splurge on major expenses but seem to buy little shit that adds up over time, so as of this week I am on a fairly strict budget, so I can afford the car and a house when it's time.

I have more than enough of this money to put down on a house but thought about using 15k to put down on a new car to keep the payments down.

I dunno, I would love to make good money on the investment but not sure right now without a lot of risk.
                              I just sold my "newer" car for one that is ten years old because I was sick of payments. In a year or two it will be paid off and all I will have is my house payment. Screw buying a new car. New cars are nice and all but I would rather have the 20-30k in the bank then in a fancy car. JMO

It is amazing what 12 months and the mindset of making a return on everything you buy can do to your savings.
                              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Working...
                              X