Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping Jehoshaphat! Wut in tarnation is this world coming to? (Nice Title Edit Mods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping Jehoshaphat! Wut in tarnation is this world coming to? (Nice Title Edit Mods)

Georgia mom Raquel Nelson was spared prison today in the sentencing phase of the jaywalking conviction she faced after her son was killed in a hit-and-run. Nelson could have ended up spending more time in jail than the man who ran over her four-year-old son and sped off after a jury convicted her of jaywalking. [...]

Georgia mom Raquel Nelson was spared prison today in the sentencing phase of the jaywalking conviction she faced after her son was killed in a hit-and-run.

Nelson could have ended up spending more time in jail than the man who ran over her four-year-old son and sped off after a jury convicted her of jaywalking.

"I'm walking out of here. I don't feel like I can be more satisfied," she said, according to CBS News. "I'm ready to go home."

Judge Kathryn Tanksley gave Nelson a year of probation and 40 hours of community service, and also surprisingly offered her a new trial and the opportunity to clear her name.

Nelson crossed a busy street between her bus stop and her apartment building with her three young children on a night last spring. Nelson and her four-year-old son, AJ, were hit by Jerry Guy, who admitted to drinking earlier that day and who had been convicted in two earlier hit-and-runs.

Guy served six months in prison for the crime. But then a jury convicted Nelson of vehicular homicide and jaywalking for not walking the three-tenths of a mile to the nearest crosswalk that night. She faced the possibility of serving six times the sentence of the man who ran over her child. (City planners have asked why a public bus stop would be located at such a great distance from a safely demarcated crosswalk in the first place.)

"I think to come after me so much harder than they did him is a slap in the face because this will never end for me," she said on the Today Show yesterday. She said she feared the separation from her remaining kids if she was put in jail. "It's three years away from the two that I have left."

Below, you can watch a video of the interview Nelson gave to the Today Show yesterday, ahead of today's ruling on her conviction.
    Mother and her son are hit by a drunk driver who then left the scene (his third hit and run offence BTW). Mother gets charged with jaywalking and manslaughter, almost gets 3 years. Meanwhile the threepeat drunk who killed her son gets 6mo in jail.
    G'Day Mate

First DUI, fines, community service, jail, etc. Second DUI, throw away the keys.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

i can't find a problem here with the mothers sentencing, other than she should have gotten the full extent of punishment for her crime. She killed her son, not the driver.

the driver should get whatever the proper punishment for 3rd dwi, and hit/run charge would be. He's not responsible for the manslaughter, which is worse than a 3rd dwi+hit/run combination imo.

Sure, he MIGHT have done worse without the sudden wake-up call, but that's not how the cards fell on this one.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
        i can't find a problem here with the mothers sentencing, other than she should have gotten the full extent of punishment for her crime. She killed her son, not the driver.

the driver should get whatever the proper punishment for 3rd dwi, and hit/run charge would be. He's not responsible for the manslaughter, which is worse than a 3rd dwi+hit/run combination imo.

Sure, he MIGHT have done worse without the sudden wake-up call, but that's not how the cards fell on this one.
        What the fuck?
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yeah this is a tough call. Mom did the wrong thing here and her excuse is the jury doesn't understand what it is like to use public transportation. The drunk driver should be locked up for life.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            What the fuck?
            Mom jaywalked. Mom killed child. mom gets manslaughter charge as deserved.

3rd dwi/hit an run.

They should both get the full extent of those charges, but its not the drunks fault the mom killed her son.
            sigpic

Comment

Mom jaywalked. Mom killed child. mom gets manslaughter charge as deserved.

3rd dwi/hit an run.

They should both get the full extent of those charges, but its not the drunks fault the mom killed her son.
              Riiiiight. Asinine.

Comment

my mind is full of fuck right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                  my mind is full of fuck right now.
                  Exactly.

Not crossing at the crosswalk killed the child. The dude was fucking drunk, and ran. If she had crossed at the crosswalk, the kid would still be dead.

I wonder what it's like walking around in life so blatantly ignorant.

Comment

Exactly.

Not crossing at the crosswalk killed the child. The dude was fucking drunk, and ran. If she had crossed at the crosswalk, the kid would still be dead.

I wonder what it's like walking around in life so blatantly ignorant.
                    This. I'm fairly sure Mr. Drunky McSwervealot didn't care that she and her kid(s) weren't in a crosswalk. Hell, he was probably seeing twice as many as there actually were, if he even saw them at all.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                      This. I'm fairly sure Mr. Drunky McSwervealot didn't care that she and her kid(s) weren't in a crosswalk. Hell, he was probably seeing twice as many as there actually were, if he even saw them at all.
                      Preaching to the choir. Magnus is the one that seems to think being in a crosswalk means you can't get killed.

Comment

Preaching to the choir. Magnus is the one that seems to think being in a crosswalk means you can't get killed.
                        What do you expect, Mag anus is a fucking moron.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The mom DID kill her kid. She tried to cross a busy road without regard to the safety of her child
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            The mom DID kill her kid. She tried to cross a busy road without regard to the safety of her child
                            Oh. Silly me. Here I thought the drunk driver behind the wheel of the car that actually ran over the child, is the one that killed the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              Not true at all unless you want to make the case that a crosswalk magically stops drivers, drunk or not.
                              Did she contribute? Sure
                              Irresponsible? Sure
                              Should be sentenced to community service and probation? Sure
                              Killed the kid? Well, that's just fucking stupid
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X