Record Temps and Electric Bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Temps and Electric Bills

My electricity usage is up 42% (by kwh, not by payment) this month from the same period last year. Is that reasonable given the increased temperatures?

I live in an apartment, 900 sq ft or so, on the third floor, facing west (lessons learned). We have called them out twice to check out the system. The first time they said it was fine, I think they just verified that it was on an walked out, we weren't there. The second time they didn't even show up. I'm frustrated because we can't get it below 80 until 10PM or so and our bill is up significantly.

I realize we are in the worst situation as far as heat goes, but a 42% increase seems like a lot, even given the increased heat. Any thoughts on if it is really that much hotter or is my unit weak?

(I'm going to call them out again tomorrow anyway because the wife is off and she can be there when they come, at least she will have some idea of what they do.)
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Mine was $53.02 this month. Thanks for the $85 credit! No, but normally during this time it is approximately $140.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I just signed a lease on a garage apartment. Hopefully the electric bill isn't outrageous.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I don't even want to think about it.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my apartment. Mine 1400 sq ft though. I went to walmart and got a $25 programmable thermostat and wired it up and is seeming to help. The old thermostat didn't read the temp for shit and the unit never shut off. I am on the 2nd floor and I set the thermostat to come on at 3:30 so that by the time I go to bed it's cooled off considerably...
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I don't know what percentage my usage is up, I'd have to sit down and analyze. My last bill was $248 though on a 1700ish sq ft house. That's with added insulation. Original windows (do have storm windows/doors though), no radiant barrier. No idea what SEER rating the a/c is. Temp set on 80 during the day, set to cool off to 75 at 6, and when I get in bed I cut it down to 70-71, and turn it back to 80 when I wake up the next morning. I need to program that fucker.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I know when I look at my 12 month chart or so, Jan/Feb were the highest and ever since April to now it has been a constant uptick in usage. I can't imagine August.

I think I have a 14 or 16 SEER ac unit and the house is pretty well insulated. I keep it on 78/80 throughout the day when I am not home, 77 when I get home, and then sometimes to 75/76 when I go to bed. Also in a 1700 sq ft house. If I had to guess I would say the ac runs for abotu 20-30 minutes then has 5-8 minute intervals where it is off.
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

My light bill was $140 last month and $190 this month. NOT BAD AT ALL considering I've kept it a cool 72 non-stop
                Originally posted by Vertnut
                I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Our electric bill isn't what we worry about. It stays sub-$100 in a 1600-ish square foot home with the temp set at 74 all day long.

However, the water bill from trying to save m grass is kicking me in the taint. This month was a low bill due to us being on vacation and super busy with wedding and reception planning. Next month will be brutal.

Comment

mine went up to $350 last month because i forgot to renew my contract...if i had, it would've been about $100 less. i renewed it, and they put a $100 credit on my next bill. i'm paying 8.7 cents per kw/h with startex...it's 8.5cents per kw/h before the fees. they rip you a new asshole if you don't renew! they were charging .13/kw/h!

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                      Our electric bill isn't what we worry about. It stays sub-$100 in a 1600-ish square foot home with the temp set at 74 all day long.

However, the water bill from trying to save m grass is kicking me in the taint. This month was a low bill due to us being on vacation and super busy with wedding and reception planning. Next month will be brutal.
                      Mine has been around $110 and that is only normal activities ie dishes, showering and 15 minutes per cycle ont he grass. I am not going to water much more. It stays light green/brown just enough to live and thats it. If I kept it green I would be in the $200s without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                        Mine has been around $110 and that is only normal activities ie dishes, showering and 15 minutes per cycle ont he grass. I am not going to water much more. It stays light green/brown just enough to live and thats it. If I kept it green I would be in the $200s without a doubt.
                        It will really suck when the kiddos get back from Washington. 5 people showering, washing clothes for everyone, dishes, and watering the lawn.

We won't get a break until November when the ground water doesn't evaporate as fast.

Comment

btw, my wife is 9 months pregnant, so my house is below 70 degrees ALL OF THE TIME! it's like a friggin' refrigerator!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                            It will really suck when the kiddos get back from Washington. 5 people showering, washing clothes for everyone, dishes, and watering the lawn.

We won't get a break until November when the ground water doesn't evaporate as fast.
                            Are you watering in the late evening or early morning?

I never understood why people water at 2PM in the afternoon when it is 106 and the water evaporates within 10 minutes..

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                              Our normal water bill is $70, last month came in at $100, and the thought of next month makes me want to throw up. I don't understand why we're paying so much for a lighter shade of dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X