5 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 years ago today

Not that any of you give a fuck, BUT five years ago today I boarded a plane out of Houston for Dubai; final destination Afghanistan. That day (besides being my birthday) was the beginning of a new life for me and thought I would share. Before then my life had stalled out, the opportunities afforded to me have turned it around 180* and been a Godsend to me.

Over the years I have made some good friends here and met some real cool folks. I have the experience of a lifetime (outside of 84hr work weeks) and so proud to have at least had my finger on the string here in Afghanistan. Nothing like being a part of our history and my generation's Vietnam.

Okay, I am done. Thanks for listening.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Army, Marines

Or

Contract

BTW STAY SAFE OVER THERE

Comment

I guess I should have said.......I boarded a plane for Afghanistan and I am still here.

Contracting right now. I did my 4 years in the Marines back in the 90's.

Comment

Even better sir!

What ever it is your doing keep it up

Comment

Happy birthday, dude. Glad things are going well. Thanks for your service, both in the Corps and as a contractor.

Comment

Happy Birthday!
            G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
              Happy Birthday!
              LOL, I see what you did there. Thanks

Comment

Headed that way myself in probably about 3 weeks, don't know where exactly yet though. Already did my year in Iraq and several months in Kuwait. That money is hard to get away from lol.

Comment

I'm all for anybody helping out over there.

Stay safe.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
                    Headed that way myself in probably about 3 weeks, don't know where exactly yet though. Already did my year in Iraq and several months in Kuwait. That money is hard to get away from lol.
                    Tell me about it. I make just enough to make it worth my while but not enough to keep me here if I can find a job at home making half as much. If that makes sense. I told my boss the country manager that if he wants to quarantee that I stay past September I need a promotion and a raise, otherwise I am on the job hunt this coming R&R.

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                    I'm all for anybody helping out over there.

Stay safe.
                    Thanks.....being here the day they killed OBL was very emotional for me and so is each 9/11 anniversary.

Comment

So, did you go to the sandbox when you were in the Marines?

Damn that would be alot of time in that shithole.

Comment

just crossed my first year here in Iraq... Did couple tours in Afghanistan back in my Active duty days....

Just find a better contract, hell i had a kickass 2 weeks on/2 weeks off contract in Colombia... Fine women, lots of drinking, tons of partying and made about half of what i make here... Not bad since i worked half the time...

I figure 18 months more and i'm out of here.. that if something drastic doesn't happen before then...Money is good, but i'm now at a point in my life where i would rather LIVE a little. I've only been overseas since 2001...its getting old QUICKLY

Comment

Secret birthday thread? LOL
                          Originally posted by Nash B.
                          Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justa4Banger View Post
                            just crossed my first year here in Iraq... Did couple tours in Afghanistan back in my Active duty days....

Just find a better contract, hell i had a kickass 2 weeks on/2 weeks off contract in Colombia... Fine women, lots of drinking, tons of partying and made about half of what i make here... Not bad since i worked half the time...

I figure 18 months more and i'm out of here.. that if something drastic doesn't happen before then...Money is good, but i'm now at a point in my life where i would rather LIVE a little. I've only been overseas since 2001...its getting old QUICKLY
                            I would kill to find a job after September 1st that pays half of what I make and I would probably settle for 35% of what I make right now just to be home and start making babies. 35 today and no kids, I am not getting any younger and at this rate I will be a 50 year old with teenagers (oh shit my heart just dropped thinking about that)

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                            Secret birthday thread? LOL
                            shhh don't tell anyone

Comment

Happy birthday brother!

May you have even better days when you get home.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X