Norway killer used COD as a training tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway killer used COD as a training tool

Saw this on another site. Sounds rediculous to me, maybe we should ban video games!

Anders Behring Breivik emailed his extremist manifesto to a Dutchman he had met while playing an online computer war game that included scenes where players kill unarmed civilians.

Norway : Anders Behring Breivik used online war games as 'training'
    Anders Behring Breivik emailed his extremist manifesto to a Dutchman he had met while playing an online computer war game that included scenes where players kill unarmed civilians.

Call of Duty was one of the games Anders Behring Breivik played Photo: AP Photo/Activision By Bruno Waterfield
    4:26PM BST 26 Jul 2011
    5 Comments
    Jeroen Rink received the email manifesto announcing Breivik's plan to carry out attacks last Friday just hours before the Norwegian killed 76 people.

He had regularly played the internet war games the Call of Duty and the World of Warcraft with the far-right mass killer before talking about politics.

Mr Rink told De Telegraaf newspaper that they found more than a shared interest in violent games after they discussed their mutual admiration for Geert Wilders, a popular Dutch anti-Islam politician.

"We talked about politics on occasion and I thought he was pretty radical," he said.

The Dutch man, 31, was horrified when he opened the email link and found terrorist bomb-making instructions and pictures of Breivik posing with weapons.

When he heard I had voted for Geert Wilders – he sent me a link. I only opened it this weekend and looked at it properly. Shocking. It contained loads of pages with propaganda, films and photos, including him, with guns," he said.

Tanguys Veys, a Belgian MP for the far-right, anti-Muslim Vlaams-Belang party, received a copy of the terrorist manifesto at 2.09pm on Friday, one hour and 17 minutes before Breivik's bomb exploded in Oslo.

Mr Veys said that the email, addressed to "Western European patriots", had been sent to 1,002 other people. "I estimate that between 10 and 20 addresses were Belgian. The rest were spread over Europe and the United States," he said.

"I expressly dissociate myself from this man. I suspect that my email address ending up on the list was related to publications about Islam."

In his 1,500-page manifesto, a European Declaration of Independence, Breivik described how he used Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to prepare for the attacks.

"I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game," he wrote in the document. "It is probably the best military simulator out there and it's one of the hottest. I see MW2 more as part of my training-simulation than anything else."

The Modern Warfare game uses lifelike cinema quality graphics to take players through first-person scenarios which put them in the place of soldiers.

The most controversial is a sequence where the gamer must decide whether to kill unarmed civilians at a Russian airport in order to infiltrate a terrorist group.

The scenes are so shocking that Activision, the game's manufacturer, issued warnings and included "checkpoints" in the game to give players the chance to skip traumatic situations.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
    Saw this on another site. Sounds rediculous to me, maybe we should ban video games!

Norway : Anders Behring Breivik used online war games as 'training'

Call of Duty was one of the games Anders Behring Breivik played Photo: AP Photo/Activision By Bruno Waterfield
    4:26PM BST 26 Jul 2011
    5 Comments
    Jeroen Rink received the email manifesto announcing Breivik's plan to carry out attacks last Friday just hours before the Norwegian killed 76 people.

He had regularly played the internet war games the Call of Duty and the World of Warcraft with the far-right mass killer before talking about politics.

Mr Rink told De Telegraaf newspaper that they found more than a shared interest in violent games after they discussed their mutual admiration for Geert Wilders, a popular Dutch anti-Islam politician.

"We talked about politics on occasion and I thought he was pretty radical," he said.

The Dutch man, 31, was horrified when he opened the email link and found terrorist bomb-making instructions and pictures of Breivik posing with weapons.

When he heard I had voted for Geert Wilders – he sent me a link. I only opened it this weekend and looked at it properly. Shocking. It contained loads of pages with propaganda, films and photos, including him, with guns," he said.

Tanguys Veys, a Belgian MP for the far-right, anti-Muslim Vlaams-Belang party, received a copy of the terrorist manifesto at 2.09pm on Friday, one hour and 17 minutes before Breivik's bomb exploded in Oslo.

Mr Veys said that the email, addressed to "Western European patriots", had been sent to 1,002 other people. "I estimate that between 10 and 20 addresses were Belgian. The rest were spread over Europe and the United States," he said.

"I expressly dissociate myself from this man. I suspect that my email address ending up on the list was related to publications about Islam."

In his 1,500-page manifesto, a European Declaration of Independence, Breivik described how he used Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to prepare for the attacks.

"I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game," he wrote in the document. "It is probably the best military simulator out there and it's one of the hottest. I see MW2 more as part of my training-simulation than anything else."

The Modern Warfare game uses lifelike cinema quality graphics to take players through first-person scenarios which put them in the place of soldiers.

The most controversial is a sequence where the gamer must decide whether to kill unarmed civilians at a Russian airport in order to infiltrate a terrorist group.

The scenes are so shocking that Activision, the game's manufacturer, issued warnings and included "checkpoints" in the game to give players the chance to skip traumatic situations.
    Rest assured, some dickless congressman will lobby for it.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

here we go again.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
        They already have, gratefully the SCOTUS just said that games are protected by the 1st Amendment.

Comment

How fucking stupid. Cause it goes into detail on bomb making
          99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
          going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            They already have, gratefully the SCOTUS just said that games are protected by the 1st Amendment.
            But now they REALLY have a reason.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I play Call of Duty and if he used that as a training tool he would have been camping in a corner somewhere, lol.
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Nanny state newspaper articles mean about as much to me as TMZ.

Comment

Ban tvs and fornication too

Comment

I play Call of Duty and if he used that as a training tool he would have been camping in a corner somewhere, lol.
                    Werd!

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                      unnecessary quoting much?

Comment

lmao! qft
                        68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
                        63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
                        i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

BAN VIDEO GAMES!!!!

I was playing Need For Speed and it is Electronic Arts fault that I got a speeding ticket because of what was depicted in the video game. I should sue EA.
                          sigpic

Comment

Lmfao!!! So true. Plus he would of got a nuke after 25 people, and this would be an even bigger disaster.
                            .223 > 911

Comment

I don't think COD is what we need to worry about.

It was obviously his 20 man raiding skills in WoW that led to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X