Question for mothers and child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for mothers and child support

My GF stopped receiving child support about 8 months ago due to her ex losing his job. He got a new job about 2 months ago, however she has not received a child support check yet. Are we wrong for assuming that the state would be pulling it out automatically (garnishing) or does that have to be court ordered? If it has to be court ordered, do you think she actually has to take HIM to court, or just have a lawyer file specific paperwork with the state?

Your help is appreciated.
    GIFSoup

Originally posted by mirefire 2.0 View Post
    My GF stopped receiving child support about 8 months ago due to her ex losing his job. He got a new job about 2 months ago, however she has not received a child support check yet. Are we wrong for assuming that the state would be pulling it out automatically (garnishing) or does that have to be court ordered? If it has to be court ordered, do you think she actually has to take HIM to court, or just have a lawyer file specific paperwork with the state?

Your help is appreciated.
    If they didn't have an enforced order, it's typically not garnished and the AG doesn't keep track of arrears. She can contact her local AG and they will start the enforcement process if she's been unsuccessful at coming to terms with him on their own.

Comment

If she knows the name of the place he is working at, can get a phone number, etc. she can call the AG and tell them and they should be able to garnish. He is still responsible for the arrears since he didn't go back to court to notify them of his change. In order to get the arrears she is going to have to go back to court for it or wait till he files income tax and it'll be held and the amount owed will be sent to her.

Comment

Apparently the fucker can not pay for 10 years, and the AG will just send a letter to her giving her 5 days notice to appear in a mandatory seminar (3 hours, with the classiest people she'll ever meet, or they will close her case and never lift another finger.

Don't mind me, just passing through.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Really depends... my dad didn't pay anything til I was 17, then started monthly... the irs just randomly decided to withhold over 5000 from his taxes and send it to me this year....
          However, my sons father hasn't paid consecutively at all the past six months and they had us go to court to enforce, said he had to pay next three months if he doesn't he will go to jail our next court date.
          sigpic

Comment

Remember that you are dealing with state employees that already have jobs and could care less about anything but break time, holidays, and a pay raise. You have to do the work for them. Then they might help you out.

Comment

Working...
            X